The Republic of Heaven

Alt.Will, Alt. Lyra

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Re: Alt.Will, Alt. Lyra

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:02 am

Most likly the will and lyra who traveled together would see the alt will and lyra mistake them try to talk to tem and realize who they were they might not love that version because even though they hade the exact same apparance they may not be the same for lack of experiances
A truth thats told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent- William Blake
Dan
Grazer

Re:

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:05 am

Undestined wrote:We don't know whether or not the universes are in different times though. Nobody in Lyra's world ever gives us the date.

And DutchCrunch, the suggestion that our world and Lyr'as world split around the time of John Calvin suggests that daemons suddenly popped into existance at that time.

I think it's possible that once a world splits off from another, it can still follow roughly the same historical path. Therefore, we can infer that Lyra's world split off at around the time modern Homo Sapiens appeared (with daemons in L world, without in ours). That's around 10,000 years (correct me if I'm wrong). L world and ours ran "alongside" each other for a while, with a few deviations here and there, like Calvin's Papacy, the overpowering Church, and the electricity-amber switch.

SO, there may or may not be another Lyra and another Will.

So I've just taken the argument back to square one.

in a ninterview somone says lyras world is ours if we had daemons and had presued steam power so that seems to indicate the same time with diffrent...................stuff
A truth thats told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent- William Blake
Dan
Grazer

Postby SoulLily » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:33 am

I'm really not sure about an alternate Will or Lyra. All the people who did something important - Asriel, Mrs. Coulter, Lyra and Will, Mary Malone - couldn't really have duplicates, could they? In another world, could there really be another Asriel on another quest to kill another divine oppressor? Could there be another Lyra fated to meet another Will, another Metatron brought down into another abyss?

The multiverse concept says that every time a situation has more than one potential outcome, a new world is made where each outcome took place. Everything is the same in that new world except that one different outcome. So there are infinite amounts of worlds being made all the time. Every time someone rolls a die, every time someone flips a coin. I'm sure it's reasonable to assume that somewhere in the worlds Lyra and Will travelled through someone was rolling a die or flipping a coin. So there would be a new world branching off that one, where another Will and Lyra were travelling, right? What if that "new" pair did something wrong? What if they kept a window for themselves? Would they even be presented with that opportunity?

Even if there were loads of other Wills and Lyras running around, would there be windows allowing them to meet? If a new world is made, a window doesn't just appear leading you into it. Or does it? I'll leave that aside for now and assume it doesn't happen. New Wills and Lyras being "copied" before they met in Ci'gazze probably wouldn't meet. But what about pairs that were copied, say, after they fell in love? What would happen to all of them? Would they even get the chance to decide about the windows?

What if a pair of alternates decided to stay together? Logically speaking it could happen, but it would ultimately affect all worlds, too. Every time a choice is made another world is made as well; what if a world was made where Will and Lyra made the choice to stay together? The two ideas don't work, because Will and Lyra's choice to split affected all the worlds. You would need infinite sets of infinite worlds for this possibility to coexist with what really happened.

What about Metatron? Was the Clouded Mountain completely beyond the division of worlds? What if there were another Metatron and another Authority? Metatron ruled over all worlds, so an alternate of him wouldn't make sense. Alternates of anyone vitally important to the events of the story couldn't work. The chances of them all doing the same things in all those infinite worlds, all of them settling Dust, all the Wills breaking all the knives to cease travel between all the worlds are slim to none. What logically has to happen realistically can't, at least not in keeping the story intact.

This is so frustrating! >_< Sorry for the disorganized ideas up there, but I had a lot to try and get out. I'll probably come back and clarify later.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Halo Nerd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:56 pm

I've always thought of Lyra's and Will's worlds as pretty much opposite. I believe that if they meet Alt. Eachothers then they will be totally different people though possibly similar in appearance and identity I believe their personality and experience would be absolutely different.
Halo Nerd
Grazer

Postby tyche » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:37 am

If there was an alternate Lyra would she also be Eve? If so that would make the logistics of the fall pretty much impossible, if there are millions of them chances are one isn't going to be tempted.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby daemonpurra » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:07 am

we are really empty headed sometimes
here we are talking about something totaly fictional and we still have the guts to talk like it is really going on in our every day life.

don't take it personally i do it to just thought i would write that to make myself come back down to earth
Mrs. Coulter sounds like a sexy criminal mastermind
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife