The Republic of Heaven

Graphical timeline

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Graphical timeline

Postby mike-west » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:54 am

Afrer re-reading The Subtle Knife, I realized how compressed the timescale is (one week). Pullman does a great job in pacing the novel via flashbacks, etc.

All the same, I created a graphical timeline to help myself sort out the action:

http://homepage.mac.com/mhcole/misc/SK_timeline.jpg

Constructive comments are apprectiated.
---
mike_in_the_west
mike-west
Grazer

Postby Cookiemonster » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:25 pm

Crikey, that's complex. How long did that take you?
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Postby mike-west » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:29 am

It took several hours (<15) total to draw the timeline. I would read a few chapters then work on the timeline (on a huge sheet of paper).

I used the Mac drawing program "OmniGraffle" after I had the timeline all figured out on paper. The computer work was pretty quick, since I had already constructed a similar timeline for "The Amber Spyglass".
---
mike_in_the_west
mike-west
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife