The Republic of Heaven

Latrom - Mortal

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Postby Diolmhain » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:46 pm

Maybe PP is a fan of word games?
It certainly does seem like that from the trilogy.
Also Panzerbourne, Panzer, the tank! A rather fitting name is it not?:)
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Re: Latrom - Mortal

Postby Enitharmon » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:06 pm

moonflash wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed Latrom is Mortal backwards. Why would Lord Boreal choose a name signifying weakness? I always thought he was not the type of person to imagine himself as weak.

I refer my hounourable friend to my affectionate parody, Inspector Morse's Dark Materials, which I wrote three years ago shortly after I first read HDM.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Angel to follow » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:27 pm

it suggests that he is physical. And eventually it is his, er, physicality for Mrs Coulter that gets him.

Exactly true.Although maybe its PP way of hitting back at all the critics who insisted that HDM promoted under age sex to minors. Lol.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Re: Latrom - Mortal

Postby Somewhat » Sat May 20, 2006 2:01 am

Enitharmon wrote:
moonflash wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed Latrom is Mortal backwards. Why would Lord Boreal choose a name signifying weakness? I always thought he was not the type of person to imagine himself as weak.

I refer my hounourable friend to my affectionate parody, Inspector Morse's Dark Materials, which I wrote three years ago shortly after I first read HDM.

Very good story indeed. Well then, obviously somebody noticed it before me.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:07 am

moonflash wrote:Stella is star, Maria is a common name, so it seems to be just a simple name. Although it is a bit too much of a coincidence.

The Virgin Mary is also sometimes referred to as 'Stella Maris', which means 'Star of the Sea'.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:10 am

I never knew that. How does Mary relate to the sea?
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:15 am

I'm not sure. I just remember finding it when I was looking up the name 'Mary' to find its meaningfor my sister. (My little sister is called Miriam, which is the Hebrew form of Mary. Or rather Mary is the Anglicised Latin for Miriam)
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife