The Republic of Heaven

Latrom - Mortal

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Latrom - Mortal

Postby Somewhat » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:41 am

I wonder if anyone else noticed Latrom is Mortal backwards. Why would Lord Boreal choose a name signifying weakness? I always thought he was not the type of person to imagine himself as weak.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Mockingbird » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:01 am

That's rather interesting. It could be coincidence on his part. But its probably not coincidence on PP's part; I'm sure he sees Boreal as weak. And there is also the issue of his mortality; how he couldn't live for too long in our world. I suppose the name Boreal is from borealis, as in aurora.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Re: Latrom - Mortal

Postby Soapy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:39 am

moonflash wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed Latrom is Mortal backwards. Why would Lord Boreal choose a name signifying weakness? I always thought he was not the type of person to imagine himself as weak.

Why is mortality weak?

The angels are jealous of us because we have flesh, because we are mortal. Mortality doesn't suggest to me that he is weak, it suggests that he is physical. And eventually it is his, er, physicality for Mrs Coulter that gets him.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Re: Latrom - Mortal

Postby Somewhat » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:07 pm

hermit wrote:
moonflash wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed Latrom is Mortal backwards. Why would Lord Boreal choose a name signifying weakness? I always thought he was not the type of person to imagine himself as weak.

Why is mortality weak?

The angels are jealous of us because we have flesh, because we are mortal. Mortality doesn't suggest to me that he is weak, it suggests that he is physical. And eventually it is his, er, physicality for Mrs Coulter that gets him.

That is the eternal dilemma: those who are immortal wish for mortality, while those who are mortal wish for immortality. As Boreal is quite saftley mortal, I consider admitting his mortality to be a weakness on his part.
Maybe it's just that 'Latrommi' doesn't have much of a ring to it. :P
Last edited by Somewhat on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Jamie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:39 pm

I think Lord Boreal is the type of man who would have been very appeased by the idea of immortality; it grants him time to accumulate more wealth, possessions, power etc.

I hadn't noticed it but I very much doubt it's coincedence, it isn't a common name is it?

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Somewhat » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 pm

I wasn't aware that it was a name at all, which is why I looked at it more closely.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby zemarl » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:31 pm

i think rosie mentioned this in one of her fanfics... or was that ceres? :oops: it's been a while since i read it.
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby jessia » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:56 pm

it's been listed in the btts static encyclopaedia for quite some time.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Stargirl » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 am

I envy you having enough spare time to go spelling book characters name's backwards. :evil: I think that's cool though. I doubt that PP did it on purpose though, maybe... that's a good idea though......

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Somewhat » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:58 am

Of course he did it on purpose! Try googling "Latrom". Ignoring all the HDM references, it's a very rare name indeed.
And if you don't think 10,100 results makes a name rare, try Coulter, which is quite rare as well. 21,200,000 results.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Jaya » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:06 pm

But coulter wouldn't come up as a name, it would come up as a word. Seenig as it is an actual word. Erm...doesn't it mean enemy or something? As in 'I vow revenge against you! You are my COULTER!'
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Somewhat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:57 am

Actually, "A sharp steel wedge that precedes the plough and cuts vertically through the soil".

Ooh, that works. "I vow revenge against you! You are my WEDGE!"
:P

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Undestined » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:29 pm

For comparison, "Patrick" got 419,000,000 results on Google, "Timothy" got 132,000,000, and "Bob" got 501,000,000 results. These are all quite common names. "Isadore," a relatively rare name, yielded 1,180,000.
(The Sraffie Formerly Known as Zodiac)
Undestined
Armoured Bear

Postby Somewhat » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:10 am

So yes, he did it on purpose. It might all be something to do with the Grand Conspiracy, however.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby The Funny Man » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:37 am

Umm... Guys? Watch the Pink Panther. The old one, and not the cartoon. Guess what the thiefs name was? Gasp!! SIR CHARLES LETROM!!! OH MY GOD!!!
"And Shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. As power has flowed forth from thy hand, so that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et filii, et Spiritus Sanctus."
The Funny Man
Gyptian

AOL: bob_saget@yahoo.com

Postby Somewhat » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:07 am

:?

Newbies.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby bethanwy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:37 pm

/me shakes head.

Honestly.

*sigh*
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby ShadowSpinner » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:40 am

A few of the names seem to be puns/punable...

Will- "Where there's a will, there's a way.", and etc.

Lyra- Liar. (Something Lyra has a knack for. It's mentioned in canon) Also, accourding to Greek myth, Lyra the constellation is Orpheus' lyre, that led Eurydice up (sorta) from the Underworld. It was a tribute to lost love.
Last edited by ShadowSpinner on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Cricket
ShadowSpinner
Grazer

Postby zemarl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:30 pm

materials from his dark materials rearranges perfectly into stelmaria... thought i'd put that here as it doesn't really merit its own topic.
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Somewhat » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:49 pm

How very interesting. I wonder if that is a coincidence.
Stella is star, Maria is a common name, so it seems to be just a simple name. Although it is a bit too much of a coincidence.
I do wonder, there is certainly a high probability the entire trilogy is littered with anagrams.

Also interesting is the Orpheus myth, I forgot about tha rather obvious connection that has with Lyra.

It's spelt Asriel, not Asreal.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife