The Republic of Heaven

Why so many spectres?

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Why so many spectres?

Postby Somewhat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:05 pm

When Lyra and Will first went to Cittagazze, circumstances implied there was an exceptional amount of Spectres around. Did they all come from Asriel's hole? Wouldn't the hole just release one Spectre, regardless of size?
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Somewhat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:20 pm

Bing...
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Jaya » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:21 pm

I got the impression that things like Windows kept 'leaking' out the dust, which created the spectres. So the longer a window (or the....rip in the worlds) was kept open, the more...spectres leaked in?
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Somewhat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Which still doesn't make sense, because some windows have been open for centuries and clearly haven't spawned millions of Spectres, otherwise the Cittagazzeans would be extinct long before Will arrived. Not that they were going too well anyway...

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Jaya » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:27 pm

The subtle knife was only about for a couple of centuries, silly :P

And as Citagazze was the place it seemed to be kept (at least in the history of that guy in the tower...I forget his name), the most windows were carelessly left open around Citagazze...

Dunc says:
[12:27] <Dunc> each time it is used it creates a spectre
[12:27] <Dunc> so just how many could you create in 300 years
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Somewhat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:31 pm

But what I'm trying to say is that there seemed to be a sudden, massive influx of Spectres. When the witches rescued Will and Lyra, there were thousands, the ground was thick with them. No civillisation could survive an amount like that. And going by the amount of Specters and windows, they must've been spawning quite quickly, even over 300 years.

I still think one window creates one Spectre. Didn't Xaphania even confirm that?

EDIT: Fine, *now* you post Dunc's argument... :P
Last edited by Somewhat on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Mr Anderson » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:31 pm

And ill add to that, The world of Cittegaze pullman describes as a 'crossroad' world. Angels use it to move between worlds, so there must be a considerable amount of holes elsewhere which have been naturally created.

I suppose they go where the food is, wouldn't you?
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Somewhat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:33 pm

Alright, now I'm confused. What are we arguing and who's on who's side? :P

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Nimue » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:19 pm

If you remember when Will is talking to the Angel, she says that since the knife was made in Cittagazze, basically all the windows were connected there. Thus most of the spectres (specters) were in Cittagazze because every time he opened a window a new spectre was created. It might also be that the spectres were drawn to Cittagazze because of the knife.

Mrs. Coulter seemed to be able to control the spectres, why wouldn't the church be able to bend them to their will?
-Coleridge was a drug addict. Poe was an alcoholic. Marlowe was killed by a man whom he was treacherously trying to stab. Pope took money to keep a woman's name out of a satire then wrote a piece so that she could still be recognized anyhow. Chatterton killed himself. Byron was accused of incest. Do you still want to a writer - and if so, why?
-Bennett Cerf

-Do you believe in the Boogyman?
Nimue
Grazer

Postby Stargirl » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:31 am

I think it was definitely because of the hole. If the knife makes a hole there is only one spectre no matter the size, but that hole wasn't made by the knife and it was enormous, thus the many many spectres.

mod edit: Having a whole pie means you have an entire pie. Having a hole in your pie means something very different indeed.

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby DutchCrunch » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:38 pm

The spectre problem became worse...but there already was a problem.

I'd say one spectre per cut. Perhaps the spectres can wonder between worlds any way the like, and they liked the action going on. Or Asriel didnt have just one hole. Perhaps he has multiple holes for his pleasure. Like when you hold a lighter under a piece of plastic. A couple of small holes appear at first, and sort of melt together. Perhaps Asriel's one hole started out as hundreds. Or some of the spectres were also being easy passage to this crossworld. I don't know. Though I do believe 1 hole = 1 spectre.
DutchCrunch
Witch

Postby Ultracommando93 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:45 am

There were so many spectrs because usage of the knife creates a spectre each time you open a portal (although the spectres only appear to show up in Citagazze no matter where you use the knife).

Perhaps Asriel let more in with his method, or they all sensed him (As he's an adult) and came in for the kill. It's never said hwo he got out.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby AUST » Tue May 08, 2007 5:06 pm

1 cut=1 specter, providing its normal size. However Asriel created a hell of a big hole and hundreds where created. There where probably a couple of thousand in Cittagazze anyways, but Asriels cut meant that hundreds, perhapse more poured in there-it was already majorly infested asit was the crossroad and was where the knife was created.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Diolmhain » Tue May 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Asriels hole was diffrent though.. it was like the Atom Bomb of subtle knives..

Knives kill one person when you use them, Bombs kill lots

But that's just my opinion... i think...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby krebbe » Tue May 08, 2007 11:00 pm

Electricity was still running and food hadn't completely decomposed, so the disappearance of adults was sudden, which would be consistent with Asriel's hole creating a cataclysmic event which required everyone to evacuate. However, it seems surprising that the entire town decided and was able to evacuate in the time it took for Lyra to travel from the newly-formed hole to the town without seeing any people or spectre-consumed bodies left behind. It doesn't really make sense.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Join BttS Chat on irc.quakenet.org #btts
chat forum topic
chat channel statistics
krebbe
Stultifyingly Substantiated

Postby AUST » Wed May 09, 2007 3:19 pm

krebbe wrote:Electricity was still running and food hadn't completely decomposed, so the disappearance of adults was sudden, which would be consistent with Asriel's hole creating a cataclysmic event which required everyone to evacuate. However, it seems surprising that the entire town decided and was able to evacuate in the time it took for Lyra to travel from the newly-formed hole to the town without seeing any people or spectre-consumed bodies left behind. It doesn't really make sense.

Dosn't it say they all fled? (I think it was one of the lads Lyra/Will met on the beach?)
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Northern Light » Wed May 09, 2007 5:30 pm

krebbe wrote:Electricity was still running and food hadn't completely decomposed, so the disappearance of adults was sudden, which would be consistent with Asriel's hole creating a cataclysmic event which required everyone to evacuate. However, it seems surprising that the entire town decided and was able to evacuate in the time it took for Lyra to travel from the newly-formed hole to the town without seeing any people or spectre-consumed bodies left behind. It doesn't really make sense.

Lyra wandered around in the fog for a couple of days, that's enough time for an evacuation. Although I don't know why there weren't any bodies left behind, perhaps the children err... disposed of them. :?
Northern Light
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue May 15, 2007 4:33 am

And doesn't it say somewhere that in recent days, the number of Spectres has increased beyond anything the Cittagazze people can handle? Remember Serafina and co meet a couple of adults whose job it is to flee Spectre attacks on horseback to ensure the survival of the people (in TSK). They had methods for coping with attacks from the small number of Spectres present before Asriel blasted open all the worlds. (That's why they're not extinct)

That's just reminded me. He didn't just cut between L-world and one other place. He blasted through ALL the worlds, didn't he? Wouldn't that mean multiple windows and thus multiple Spectres?
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Tue May 15, 2007 6:54 am

I think Specters can only exist in the Citagazze world. It's been postulated that our version of Specters is mental illness, and there could be a different version for every world. However, we know Asriel didn't rip through our world since the poles there are still fine - I think he did only rip to Citagazze, which is the city in the sky that he saw.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri May 18, 2007 5:33 am

You are absolutely right. I am in Sydney and have my trusty copy of TSK in my hands, and it was only between L-world and Cittagazze. I thought all the stuff about global warming was because Asriel had blasted open the boundaries between ALL the worlds, but then realised that would mean global warming had only begun in the 90s. Global warming in our world was caused because of unclosed windows, so I apologise. I really shouldn't make wild claims when I don't have my books with me to check things.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife