The Republic of Heaven

A different world

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

A different world

Postby daemonpurra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:39 am

Hey this is my first post.

How come Lord Asriel went on the same bridge that the withches, Lee and Grumman/Parry, and Lyra came on but ended up in a different world? Everyone else ended up in Cittagazze.

Any ideas :?:
Mrs. Coulter sounds like a sexy criminal mastermind
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Postby missmolly » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:42 am

I always assumed he ended up in Ci'gazze as well but continued on to the world in which he built the fortress. I wonder how he got past the spectres...interesting question!
missmolly
Gyptian

AOL: mllementeuse

Postby DarkKnightJRK » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 am

missmolly wrote:I always assumed he ended up in Ci'gazze as well but continued on to the world in which he built the fortress. I wonder how he got past the spectres...interesting question!

Probably through sneakiness and the pure size of his gahones--the guy was about to prepare a war on "God," for pete's sake. He wasn't going to let some silly mist crap get in his way.
DarkKnightJRK
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: CapedCrusaderJRK
AOL: DarkKnightJRK

Postby seyla » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:43 am

But he must have met them?
My artwork

Today's post is brought to you by the letter S.

My Fanfic

Chocolate Teapot
seyla
Grazer

Postby daemonpurra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:04 pm

True, but the specters were on the authorities side were they not. and he would have to be with an angel to find that world cause the windows are supposed to be invisible.
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Postby AUST » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Asrial ended in Ciarezzi but carried on, protected by 'dust' much like the assasin and mary.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:45 pm

I thought it was more likely that he was protected by his sheer arrogance, like Mrs Coulter.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby daemonpurra » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Maybe, but how did he find his way to the other world?
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Postby Annernanner » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:56 pm

He found a window and said "hey this is great!" and built his lovely war fortress.
"It is better to be happy for a moment,
and be burned up with beauty,
than to live forever,
and be bored all the while."

-The Moth, by Don Marquis
Annernanner
Witch

Postby cassingtonscholar » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:28 pm

I've always thought the whole thing with Asriel traveling through a ton of worlds and building a fortress and amassing an an army in the course of about two weeks was the weakest and fuzziest part of the trilogy. It's just doesn't seem to be possible. It seems almost like he managed to extend time there because his army and fortress are so big and well built and well organized and generally perfect that it would have taken years to assemble.

Anyways, I hate it when authors create these huge scenarios and then don't tell you how they came to be. :x
“‘Tagoona, if I held you by your heels from a third-story window, you would have a problem.’ Tagoona considered this long and carefully. Then he said, ‘I do not think so. If you saved me, all would be well. If you dropped me, nothing would matter. It is you who would have the problem.’”--Margaret Craven, I Heard the Owl Call My Name

"Off all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books." --Thomas Carlyle

"Plastic bags flew at us like a lost squadron of dehydrated kamikaze jellyfish."--Eric Hansen, Motoring with Mohammed

"I want to travel at the speed of smell." --Anonymous
cassingtonscholar
Gyptian

AOL: pinnipedluver

Postby AUST » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:46 pm

cassingtonscholar wrote:I've always thought the whole thing with Asriel traveling through a ton of worlds and building a fortress and amassing an an army in the course of about two weeks was the weakest and fuzziest part of the trilogy. It's just doesn't seem to be possible. It seems almost like he managed to extend time there because his army and fortress are so big and well built and well organized and generally perfect that it would have taken years to assemble.

Anyways, I hate it when authors create these huge scenarios and then don't tell you how they came to be. :x

Not really, thats just how it is-its a story not a fact book. BEsides he sorta does...
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 am

I was sort of under the impression that his means of tearing into the parallel worlds was incredibly crude, which made his hole rather ambiguous. I kind of thought that the bridge (which I believe seemed like a huge fog) linked more than the two worlds and that you could sort of step off at a certain point to reach one or the other. I don't recall anything in the books openly contradicting my theory, but I was under that impression. *shrugs*
I feel refreshed now that my eyes aren't exploding out of their sockets!
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Postby daemonpurra » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:02 am

If thats true then it was pretty lucky for everyone to find the world they were looking for. Interesting
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Postby HopeToBeWill1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm

i reckon he didn't go to cittiagazze at all! It WAS fuzzy, right? maybe a previous-knife-bearer, made a massive hole? Like in the middle of a war, so they could escape? He may have walked through the hole without noticing. Then he might have met some of those rouge angels who...carried him? through a window, or just guided him to one leading to the fortress-world? (I may edit this, cause there is something I was gonna add, but forgot.)
Androne, my super-cool tiger daemon!
<====|
And: Escalia, my Sword of Sorcery!
<====={]¬¬¬0
HopeToBeWill1
Gyptian

Postby AUST » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:51 pm

daemonpurra wrote:If thats true then it was pretty lucky for everyone to find the world they were looking for. Interesting

Maybe Dust ordained it-after all it is a determanist text...
AUST
Witch

Postby xLITTLE RED FRUITx » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:22 pm

well didn't it say in the book that lord asriel had some power to slow down or speed up time? so that's how he had all the time to buid the fortress and gather the troops and angel rebel groups?
Image Image They're trousers, I'm a girl, don't be stupid.
xLITTLE RED FRUITx
Grazer

Postby the31337ofPurgatory » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:51 pm

xLITTLE RED FRUITx wrote:well didn't it say in the book that lord asriel had some power to slow down or speed up time? so that's how he had all the time to buid the fortress and gather the troops and angel rebel groups?

It didn't say he could slow down time...it merely said that it seemed as if he could slow down time. I always got the impression that the castle/fortress was already built and waiting for him - he didn't build it himself - destiny seemed to have done the grunt work for him. I think a witch mentioned that at some point.
the31337ofPurgatory
Gallivespian Spy

Re: A different world

Postby WBA_premiership » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:10 am

We aren't even sure if lyra walked into Cittagazze 1st, 2nd or any thing else
WBA_premiership
Zalif

Location: USA: SC usually or England: either Birmingham area usually

Postby daemonpurra » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:07 am

We don't need to. It is a little to fuzzy. I think the angel theory was right. Only they could see the window into Asriel's world. I might have to read it again it has been a while.
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Postby iku » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:39 pm

maybe the fortress was from the previous rebellion which may explain how he met the rebel angels... but then wouldnt the fortress be in ruin.... im pretty sure lyra said she was following asriel but lost her way in the mist, so he could have found his way into this world whether by chance,fluke,fate,dust or whatever and the reason everyone else ends up in cittagazze because it is meant to be the "waiting room world/ world through world" so its the easiest world to get to / the default world maybe.........
iku
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife