The Republic of Heaven

Worlds with Names

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Postby Riali » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:43 am

Ursae Majoris wrote:I could have sworn that someone said that that at one time you could only cut out of a world and into Citagazze and that to travel between worlds you had to travel via Cittagazze. Anyone remember this or am I nutty as peanut butter?

I'm pretty certain you need to watch out for squirrels. :wink:
The knife can cut between any two worlds. Remember Will cut into a rainy world that was not Citagazze from his Oxford when he broke the knife? And the window from the World of the Dead into the Mulefa World?
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:06 am

mm, the Knife can cut into any world, but because most of the bearers came from Ci'gazze, most of the windows were between that world and other worlds.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Annernanner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:31 pm

The knife originated in the Cittagazze world, so all the windows technically come from there if you catch my drift....
"It is better to be happy for a moment,
and be burned up with beauty,
than to live forever,
and be bored all the while."

-The Moth, by Don Marquis
Annernanner
Witch

Postby AUST » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:mm, the Knife can cut into any world, but because most of the bearers came from Ci'gazze, most of the windows were between that world and other worlds.

And, of course, if a bearer is in trouble he/she will run for home-and ehad towards ci'gazze
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Enitharmon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:36 pm

AUST wrote:And, of course, if a bearer is in trouble he/she will run for home-and ehad towards ci'gazze

When they want supplies they head for the Co-op in Summertown. Where else does the Coca-Cola in the cafe fridge come from?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby AUST » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
AUST wrote:And, of course, if a bearer is in trouble he/she will run for home-and ehad towards ci'gazze

When they want supplies they head for the Co-op in Summertown. Where else does the Coca-Cola in the cafe fridge come from?

Fair point. Thus keeping the window open.

I always found that bit a bit odd-do you reckon that they would seriously let civillians/normal people use the gateways?
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Somewhat » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:49 pm

I think it was getting out of hand, the alchemists were struggling for control of the knife while the people were freely using the windows they left open. The entire city was falling into ruin.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:04 am

moonflash wrote:I think it was getting out of hand, the alchemists were struggling for control of the knife while the people were freely using the windows they left open.

Alchemist. One alchemist/knifebearer. But your general point is correct.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby AUST » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:43 pm

moonflash wrote:I think it was getting out of hand, the alchemists were struggling for control of the knife while the people were freely using the windows they left open. The entire city was falling into ruin.

Would make sense-but surley soemone in our world would notice?
AUST
Witch

Postby Somewhat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:06 am

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:
moonflash wrote:I think it was getting out of hand, the alchemists were struggling for control of the knife while the people were freely using the windows they left open.

Alchemist. One alchemist/knifebearer. But your general point is correct.

Yes, but the others were trying to get control of it from him. And other people, perhaps.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby SoulLily » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Ursae Majoris wrote:I could have sworn that someone said that that at one time you could only cut out of a world and into Citagazze and that to travel between worlds you had to travel via Cittagazze. Anyone remember this or am I nutty as peanut butter?

It's not that you could only cut into Cittagazze, just that the bearer would almost always cut into his own world when trying to leave a world.
When Will first got the knife, he would travel only between his world and Cittagazze. Then he realized something: the particles that the knife caught on had individual qualities to them. Each one felt a little different, and each one lead to a different world.
Before that realization, Will was automatically cutting into the first world he felt with the knife. After a while he could tell which was which. Perhaps the bearers before him never figured this out, and would cut into the first world they felt.
Scratch that... If there were windows into multiple worlds, they must have been able to notice the difference.
Or perhaps one bearer would feel a different world from another, so over time there were windows to many worlds, though each individual bearer would only cut into one in particular. Or it happened that the first world they felt was different in different places.
Yes, I realize that I just debated with myself there. So what.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Oliver (Kieran) Payne » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:04 pm

I'm not completely sure if this has been pointed out before in another post but the "Mulefa World" is actually called Eden, Or New Eden if you like.
Oliver (Kieran) Payne
Grazer

Postby Riali » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:19 pm

Oliver (Kieran) Payne wrote:I'm not completely sure if this has been pointed out before in another post but the "Mulefa World" is actually called Eden, Or New Eden if you like.

Where and by whom? It's a metaphorical Eden, certainly, but I don't recall it ever actually acquiring the title.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Oliver (Kieran) Payne » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:29 pm

I think I saw it called that in BTTS encyclopaedia and I for the sake of giving it a name I always call it that. But then again I suppose you could call it Heaven too since all good (truth-telling) souls/spirits/people go there and you could call the the Land of the Dead, Hell because thats where all bad (lying) souls/spirits/people are trapped forever.
Oliver (Kieran) Payne
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Surely the Mulefa world can't be called heaven because of the Tulapi (or however it's spelt) i thought that a repesntation of heaven would mean perfect peace?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Re:

Postby SoulLily » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:54 am

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:Surely the Mulefa world can't be called heaven because of the Tulapi (or however it's spelt) i thought that a repesntation of heaven would mean perfect peace?

One of the largest points in HDM, unless I misconstrued it, was to eliminate a definite Heaven and Hell and free the worlds from opression, and for people to make their own Republic of Heaven where they were "because for us there is no elsewhere". I don't think any specific world was meant to be a new Heaven, because the concept in HDM is that the closest thing to Heaven has always been right around us all the time. After dying, in the HDM multiverse, you go through the Land of the Dead and, if you tell a good story, come out back in a physical world, part of the multiverse you lived in your entire physical life, showing that you really were in Heaven (or the closest there is to it) the whole time you lived. We have to make our Heaven on Earth, be good to each other and make each other happy while we're here, because when life is over we're in no more wonderful a place than one people made.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Worlds with Names

Postby Yrael » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:20 pm

Alas, not a good story, the truth!
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Stelmaria7 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Cittagazze is the country's name- I think- and Ci'gazze is the city they are in at the time. Or am I wrong?
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby k.anderson3454 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:33 am

Does someone know where the word was derived from??
k.anderson3454
Grazer

Postby Jaya » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Do you mean Cittàgazze? I think it's Italian (?) for "city of magpies", magpies being renowned for stealing little bits from here and there - as Cittàgazze does.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife