The Republic of Heaven

The Ending of the Subtle Knife

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

The Ending of the Subtle Knife

Postby _Alena » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Did the ending make anyone else mad? I mean seriously if I hadn't have bought all three books at the same time and already read them... I would have been freaking out in my head. The way it left you hanging was pretty much just cruel haha.
_Alena
Grazer

Postby king of Svalbard » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:03 am

It's just one of the many ways authors get you to read the rest of the books. It may be cruel :twisted: but it's almost always unavoidable.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it's not real"
-Dumbledore
king of Svalbard
Grazer

Postby bee » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:39 pm

It didn't make me mad at all. It made me go downstairs and immediately grab Amber Spyglass off the shelf. I thought it was alright to leave a cliffhanger. Now if that had simply been the end and there was no book after it, then I would be mad.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby aklebury » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:34 am

It didn't make me mad, but it certainly made me impatient for TAS...
I didn't have the luxury of simply pulling it off the bookshelf - because I got TSK as soon as it was released I had to wait ages for TAS to come out
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby AUST » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 pm

aklebury wrote:It didn't make me mad, but it certainly made me impatient for TAS...
I didn't have the luxury of simply pulling it off the bookshelf - because I got TSK as soon as it was released I had to wait ages for TAS to come out

Exactly-did the same to me...
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Jez » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:13 pm

It made me go out and buy a hardback copy of TAS as soon as it was on the shelves. Cliffhangers are good at that.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby kezmondo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:50 pm

Yeah cliffhangers are the best, would you have wanted to read TAS more or less if there weren't a cliffhanger? I rest my case.
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Postby AlaskaStreet » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:03 pm

I actually just finished re-reading TSK in class and I forgot how bad the cliffhanger was. Thankfully, I also brought TAS to school and kept rght on reading.

I love cliffhangers, though. The give you a jolt of adrenaline and make my brain come up with all sorts of endings and stuff. When I do NaNo next month, I'm gonna be sure to end at least a few chapters hanging.
Avatar from remynisce over at LiveJournal.
Hailey, the female human. Made the 666th newbie thread. Lokial, the male daemon. Settled as a cross-colored red fox.
AlaskaStreet
Zalif

Location: Texas; home of hare-souled balloon-driving cowboys.

Postby barnabat » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:35 am

I like the way it ends... it's like the penultimate act of a Shakespeare play - absolutely everything is in chaos, Lyra's captured, the witches are mostly dead/spectred (is that a word? o0) and Parry and Scoresby (two of the 'fatherly' figures of the story) are both dead. Also, the spectres are under Mrs Coulter's control, Asriel's army is being built... Everything is like a tightly coiled spring, ready to explode into a climax before it can be resolved.
A seabird calls. The unknowing one stands at the rail. Peace. The circle closed. The last word written.
barnabat
Grazer

Postby AUST » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:23 pm

Yep it is a fantastic ending-very skillfully created by Pullman. Still, it infuriated me for about 3 years-the sign of a good book. I kept re-reading tog et soem idea about what might happen next.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Re: The Ending of the Subtle Knife

Postby will parry hopeful » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:29 pm

I thought the ending was really good, it made me want to read TAS alot and I was also angry that I had to wait for it.
my daemon is ariel and is apparently a lion
will parry hopeful
Grazer

Postby Atrias » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:10 pm

The ending for me was so hellish... I knew I had to wait for the third book and it was awful to have to. Wondering what was happening to Will and Lyra as Pullman was writing the third book and all that. It drove me insane for ages after and as soon as I knew that TAS was out I got it right away and pretty much stormed through it straight away.

As an ending however its a great literary device for heightening anticipation and all that, it worked really well for me as I have pointed out!
Theres more than one way to skin a cat... the problem is you can only test each one out on a single cat.

-~-

When people tell me to read between the lines I get confused because I can't find the words between the words.
Atrias
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: kahalicras@yahoo.com
AOL: GoodApollo21IV13

Postby Alex-Giovanni » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:11 pm

I wasn't mad at all because I didn't get TSK straight away seeing as I was reading another book at the time. So by the time I'd finished TSK, TAS had come out and i'd bought it so I could go on to it right after finishing TSK, and man was that a good move.
Alex-Giovanni
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:29 pm

Yes that is what hapened to me, by the time i had read the first one, both the second and third had come out, so i didn't have to worry :lol:
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby AUST » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:57 pm

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:Yes that is what hapened to me, by the time i had read the first one, both the second and third had come out, so i didn't have to worry :lol:

Sadly I can get through a book, particually fiction, in about a day or so so I demolished TSK and TAS very very quickly. Then did it again...and again...

This I know both books off by heart.
AUST
Witch

Postby Yrael » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Same for me, i already said in another post i got told off by my english teacher for always reading hdm.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:49 pm

When I read NL, I had to wait about a year before TSK came out. Then I had to wait another two years, I think, before TAS was published. I was much more patient in those days, strangely. I closed NL, and my thought process went something like this: Wow. (*sits in silence for a few minutes*). Wow. (*re-reads last couple of pages*). Wow. (*flips to the front of the book and re-reads again, slowly, over a few days*). The same thing happened when reading TSK.

But in those days I just seemed to accept that you waited for books to be published. It didn't have to be all nownownownow. These days, I seem to have turned into an impatient toddler. The way I read now is in a desperate rush, as if it's painful not to know everything, straight away. On Tuesday I read a book that I'd been wanting to read since December (when I had read its prequel) and upon finishing it, could neither sleep nor function until I'd read the next book in the series. Unfortunately, the next book doesn't come out until March.

I've not been getting much sleep recently. :lol:
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby jessia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:When I read NL, I had to wait about a year before TSK came out. Then I had to wait another two years, I think, before TAS was published.

it was way more than two years. i remember this specifically.

did people do crazy midnight line-ups for book releases like harry potter... before harry potter?
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 pm

jessia wrote:did people do crazy midnight line-ups for book releases like harry potter... before harry potter?

I can't remember anything like that happening for another book, but I'm not sure. I got TAS for Christmas anyway, before it had come out in Australia. And a friend of mine had read it even earlier because she'd been in England.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Pausert » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:15 am

I luckily had the ability to pick up TAS right out of my book shelf. If TAS hadn't been released when I had finished the TSK I would have been a very angry and bewildered person.

As for lining up, what bout The Book of DUst. I doubt anyone is going to line up for it, sadly. I do think I'll be there as crazed as can be to purchase it the morning of its release. Or so I hope. Or think.
Pausert
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife