The Republic of Heaven

Spectred people

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Spectred people

Postby Ivan Parslovich » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 am

Hi, I have this question regarding Specters

We know those poor people who get spectered will be indifferent, their daemons will be lost while they are still alive (not for long due to hunger, exposure, etc.)

So when they do die, what will happen?
It seem to me like they are without their soul, and will not remember anything.
So when they get to the underworld, how will they be able to get out by telling the harpies stories?!
They won't be able to because they will have no soul. The bodies are alive, but no one is upstairs.
When people die normally, their last moments were conscious, but the spectered people are not, so ...
????
Will the land of the dead be populated by spectered corpses?
Ivan Parslovich
Grazer

Postby Atrias » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:27 am

This is an interesting question...

Also one that is horrible to consider.

Perhaps the spectres lose their hold on a person when they die. No one has their dæmon in the Land of the Dead anyway so one would assume that a soul that was made indifferent is perhaps in some kind of drunken stupor but when they die they are given the bucket of icy water treatment and regain their wits.

The whole idea of spectred souls in the underworld is not dealt with by Pullman - I would hope that if it was a significant point then there would have been some mention of aimlessly wandering souls (hang about, there are those anyway, those souls that had been in the Land of the Dead so long that they'd forgotton everything about themselves... hmmm) or reference to the souls of the dead that had been maimed by a spectre.

The spectres though are called the Spectres of indifference, they dont technically take away a persons conciousness, just their will to care or act on their impulses. It equally could well be that they are perfectly fine "upstairs" just incapable of actually doing anything about it...

I dont know... Its an interesting question that I dont think has been asked before... I would be interested to hear what others think!
Theres more than one way to skin a cat... the problem is you can only test each one out on a single cat.

-~-

When people tell me to read between the lines I get confused because I can't find the words between the words.
Atrias
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: kahalicras@yahoo.com
AOL: GoodApollo21IV13

Postby Yrael » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:57 pm

I believe that someone who had been attacked by the spectres and then went to the land of the dead would be given special treatment due to their condition, however if not, then i would probably try and ask the harpies (when i died of course, not just on a random visit to the world of the dead for a cup of tea :lol: ) to accept my story as an offering to lead the spectre victims to the opening, it is of course a very interesting subject and will be expecting more views than just mine, but i would like to think that those who had full awareness of what is around them would be kind enough to help those who didn't, well that's what i would hope people would do.

Perhaps the spectres lose their hold on a person when they die

of course there is this possibility which i think would (even though the previous one shows people being more compassionate and kind) that this is the preferable option, because even though the book describes the world of the dead to be a place of endless nothingness would like to think that if there was a way out that seeing the world of the dead would just be another experience for my short but brilliant little blip into existance.

Any thoughts on what i just said would be welcomed, :)

Certainly an interesting subject!
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby AUST » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:46 pm

As far as I'm aware the Spectres attack the deamon-the soul-not the actually spirit. So the Spectre victims should be okay, once they die presumably the body passes away and the spirit is set free-as is the ghost.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Yrael » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:52 pm

But a question, does that mean that once you left the world of the dead you would have no daemon to return to because they had been eaten :shock:

How horrible that would be

Any thoughts?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby keff » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:23 am

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:But a question, does that mean that once you left the world of the dead you would have no dæmon to return to because they had been eaten :shock:

Any thoughts?

Well, sad as that is, I think once you've basically disintigrated your particles would just be ecstatic to be free of the indifferent body and back into nature.
Plus, I don't think daemons are a seperate "being". That is, in Citagazze, none of the people had external daemons, right? That part of them is inside.
So a daemon dissapears as a person dies, or as they get spectred, because that conscious part of them is snuffed out.
So for a ghost that had a daemon while they were alive, finding his or her companion might be really important in his/her mind just because they've never really been separated.
It's not like going to heaven and meeting your family. Everyone is just going back into the world in a great big joyous mess of consciousness.
keff
Zalif

Postby AUST » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:31 pm

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:But a question, does that mean that once you left the world of the dead you would have no dæmon to return to because they had been eaten :shock:

Any thoughts?

The particals of the daemon still exist somewhere-and preusmably its coniousness does as well (Like HEsters did once she dissolved) preuming the Spectres dead then its out there.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Yrael » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Possibly a little off the subject but do we count a spectre as a conscience being, because they can obey orders, and seem to have some form of intelligence like how they spare Mrs Coulter because they believe that they would feed better by leaving her alive.

Just a question, sorry if it has already been mentioned, any thoughts?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Blossom » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Taking your soul wouldn't take your memories, memory is in the brain.

Doesn't everyone lose their daemon when they die anyway? I can't remember because I've not read it for so long.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Yrael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:17 pm

Firstly it's the soul that knows to enjoy the memories, and secondly it's true that the daemon goes away but only into the air as atoms, the idea is that when you leave the world of the dead that you dissolve and rejoin you're daemon, but if your daemon is dead then you can't join them again, which was my main point.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Re:

Postby jessia » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:34 am

Blossom wrote:Taking your soul wouldn't take your memories, memory is in the brain.

but that's kind of problematic 'cause the "soul" isn't located anywhere specific...
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Re: Spectred people

Postby Atrias » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am

Except in the world of HDM of course Jessia, where it is located outside of the body, hehe!

Think of how psychological and medical sciences could progress in the future of Lyra's world where the separation between soul and mind is clearly established! :shock:

Though that probably poses even more questions than it answers!

Back on topic though,

Blossom, you're right, everyone loses their daemon when they die... the Boatman says that daemons cannot enter the world of the dead but disappear and become part of the living world - in much the same way as all the souls that eventually leave the Land of the Dead do.

owatts93darkmaterials fan I see what you are saying and I think you make an important point, all I can bring in to perhaps shed some light on the issue is that if there is this inextricable link between the body and the daemon then presumably neither can live without the other. Lyra says in TSK that there must be three parts to the soul \ mind... "I can think about myself and I can think about my daemon... so there must be another part of me left to do the thinking"... (Definitely misquoted, but its fairly accurate)

Perhaps this third part is what holds everything together. Perhaps that is what the spectres feed on. Perhaps that is why a spectred souls body still remains living in this kind of stasis or stupor. Thats a lot of perhaps's!

If the daemon is dead then it should still be reunited with its human eventually as a daemons death only disappates him\her into particles within the living world, there doesnt seem to be anything different going on as far as I know.

(Woo, its good to be back...)
Theres more than one way to skin a cat... the problem is you can only test each one out on a single cat.

-~-

When people tell me to read between the lines I get confused because I can't find the words between the words.
Atrias
Zalif

Postby Yrael » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:28 pm

Thank you Atrias and i agree that it is Great to be back, but what i'm questioning at the moment is whether spectres are considered consious?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Atrias » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:54 pm

Owatts, hehe oops I kinda missed that in your post!! Was early in the morning for me so excuse the lapse :wink:

I reckon spectres must have a certain kind of conciousness... otherwise they wouldn't do anything - much like the people they attack. I would be inclined to liken their conciousness to that of an animal, they arent necessarily capable of higher levels of thought but they can be trained or told what to do, plus they are largely motivated by instinct. This seems to me to fit the kind of conciousness of a spectre but other people can argue differently.

OT - Going off topic I almost wonder whether a spectre isn't the slither of "firmament" shall we say that is cut apart when a window is made... the bit that stops all the worlds spilling into eachother. It becomes lose from itself \ everything and is merely trying to find its way back to attatchment... with dust for example and that might explain the motivation spectres have to feed on dust filled concious peoples...

Of course that is all conjecture and has almost no basis whatsoever within the books, but it is just something interesting that I considered and am writing into a fan-fic at the moment.

-~-

Atrias
Zalif

Postby Yrael » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:51 pm

Don't worry about the lapse. I would love to read your fanfic when you're done, so do tell us :o

I agree that maybe a Spectre would be considered to have the intelligence of some form of higher animal.

I almost wonder whether a spectre isn't the slither of "firmament" shall we say that is cut apart when a window is made... the bit that stops all the worlds spilling into eachother. It becomes lose from itself \ everything and is merely trying to find its way back to attatchment... with dust for example and that might explain the motivation spectres have to feed on dust filled concious peoples...

i'm sad to admit that i don't have a clue what you mean here :oops: :?:
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Atrias » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Hehe... dont worry about not understanding it, its the crazy explanation for spectres I'm reasoning within my fan-fic!

Basically I reason that every world is sealed off from every other world (until the point where Asriel blows a hole in the sky, or the knife makes a cut) to prevent the Dust that is in that world seeping out by some kind of protective layer - like a cell wall if you will. We know that when you use the knife a window is made and a spectre is formed, so I followed that idea to the conclusion that the spectre is the bit of window that is cut out (like cutting a hole in some jeans, you then have a leftover bit of fabric).

I reasoned that the spectre must have a certain kind of conciousness to be attracted to Dust and people with Dust like the animal conciousness that we have been discussing; perhaps the spectres were this impermeable layer protecting the worlds from leaking dust as we know that this is a very bad thing for conciousness, and that they were actually trying to re-capture dust to prevent it from being lost, protect dust, as it was meant to do. Yet it doesnt have high enough levels of conciousness to realise what it was doing to the human or daemon. Perhaps it was also trying to find its way back into this membrane but was unable to and so just continued on its prime function (a piece of fabric cut from jeans cannot reattach itself).

These are all conciets made for the sake of my fan fic of course - though they are somewhat plausible based on what we don't know - and I am aware that there are holes in my theories, but hey I will happily share my fan-fic when it is finished, and yes it does include a reunion between Lyra and Will. I couldn't resist!

-~-

Atrias
Zalif

Postby Mogget » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:06 am

Blake defined the Spectre as follows...

The way I see it, Spectres are the antithesis of existence. They come from the Abyss beneath the worlds, which is basically the essence of nonbeing. Following this line of thought, Spectres would feed on Dust because Dust is what happens when matter realizes that being is good, and, being in a place where nonbeing is not, they need actively to destroy being to keep themselves in nonexistence.

In this way, opening a window between worlds would create Spectres because going into another world is, symbolically, an attempt to escape from one's own world (reality, "being"). This would mean that one is striving towards something that is not of one's world, and therefore is nonbeing (get the symbolism PP uses?) This would invite a bit of nonbeing itself (the Spectre) into one's world.

As a last note, could the Spectres be called "of Indifference" because they are created when one shows an indifference toward one's world by cutting through it into another world? Creepy thoughts...
~(p^~p)
e^(iπ)+1=0
6*9=42
Mogget
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Atrias » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Creepy indeed...

I like your thinking Mogget, it definitely makes sense.

I agree completely with the symbolism of the spectres that you provide, I had not read that piece by Blake and that is especially interesting.

From all that reasoning that could also shed some more light on the "Why can't Will and Lyra just have one window open" debate too.

-~-

Atrias
Zalif

Postby Yrael » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Something i've nver understood is how is a window cut, like a box?, or just a slice that you walk through, and if it is the box thing, could the spectres be the cut away fabric in the air? Sorry if this sounds stupid or anything.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby eggnostic » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:18 pm

What does Will mean when he says they have specters in his world too. Mental illness I thought. The kid will fights to get the knife from counts bricks in the wall when the specters attack him, much like Will's mother counts fence posts at the park.

just a thought
Is there a God? If not, what are all the churches for? And who is Jesus' dad?
-the office

We must take all of the medicines too expensive now to sell
Set fire to the preacher who is promising us hell
And in the ear of every anarchist that sleeps but doesn’t dream
We must sing, we must sing, we must sing
-Bright Eyes
eggnostic
Gyptian

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife