Postby Yrael » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Diolmhain wrote:8.Do not use the knife as a toothpick etc

Ouch, could have some very nasty consequences. :shock:
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Re: Rules of the knife

Postby Halo Nerd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm pretty sure it means don't use it unless you have to.

Or it could refer to cutting bread... personally? I would use the knife for sooooo many mundane tasks, to hell with traveling between worlds, my plan would be: Go to the world of the dead to get my demon, go home, live happily with my uber-awesome knife. .
Halo Nerd
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:19 pm

Halo Nerd wrote:I'm pretty sure it means don't use it unless you have to.

Couldn't that mean that you basically never use it, you don't have to travel to other worlds do you?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Trystobefunny » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:32 am

Well they don’t use the Knife to travel to worlds for fun. They do it because they have to. The creators of the knife used it to smuggle goods threw the worlds and look what happened. Specters. So yes, it means don’t use it unless you have to.
Image + Image + Image = Image
There are many worlds beyond our own. Make a difference in yours.
Trystobefunny
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: Trystobefunny
AOL: trystobefunny

Postby jessia » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:48 am

with the exception of freeing people from the land of the dead, there really are no reasons to use the knife. and had lord asriel known what he was doing and didn't have such god-directed anger, he technically could have sacrificed a child to open up that window instead and directly solve the problem.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Yrael » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:15 pm

jessia wrote:with the exception of freeing people from the land of the dead, there really are no reasons to use the knife. and had lord asriel known what he was doing and didn't have such god-directed anger, he technically could have sacrificed a child to open up that window instead and directly solve the problem.

That would really ruin the story though :)

Besides i think that Asriel didn't know about the World of the dead until his aleathiometrist told him about it.
And for him to do all of this anyway, he would need to get into the world of the dead, find out exactley where he needed to make the openings, make an agreement with the harpies and then find Stelmaria. Also he would need a good supply of kids for all this, whom he would have to travel with and get them down to the land of the dead.

he technically could have sacrificed a child to open up that window instead and directly solve the problem

Firstly, i think that only the knife could find the way into the land of the dead. Sacrificing a child to make an opening requires a weak spot in existence to work (e.g the Aurora Borealis) so he would need to be very lucky to find the right place.

and didn't have such god-directed anger

Secondly, The only reason he done anything was to stop the authorities reign of terror. :twisted:

he would need to get into the world of the dead

Thirdly, that would mean leaving his daemon behind and in my opinion only a child could manage that, one with a daemon who's shape wasn't fixed because it means that the bond hasn't fully grown yet (i think of course, i may be wrong). Also i don't think that Asriel would go that far.

find out exactley where he needed to make the openings

He would need an alethiometer for this, which he didn't have, also he wouldn't have his aleathiometrist because they wouldn't have met.

make an agreement with the harpies and then find Stelmaria

I think he may have beeen able to make the harpies agree, but finding Stelmariawould also require the aleathiometer.

Also he would need a good supply of kids for all this, whom he would have to travel with and get them down to the land of the dead.

Where would he get these kids? He would need all of them to obediantly follow him, then surrvive getting to the land of the dead, then somehow, even though their daemons were left behind, sver them.

So basically, they original way was the only way that would work.

RANT OVER :D
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby MojaveByrd » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:48 am

I bet that knife would slice tomatoes better than a Ginsu.
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Yrael » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:01 pm

MojaveByrd wrote:I bet that knife would slice tomatoes better than a Ginsu.

I slices anything better than everything!
Super knife.

Question.

Can one world invade another, does it work like that, also if you accidently invaded a past version of your world, would you be envoking a parradox?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Midnighttosix » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:23 pm

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:Question.

Can one world invade another, does it work like that, also if you accidently invaded a past version of your world, would you be envoking a parradox?

No, the knife enables you to cut through space, not time. All the parallel universes share the same time frame.
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Yrael » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:17 pm

Midnighttosix wrote:
owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:Question.

No, the knife enables you to cut through space, not time. All the parallel universes share the same time frame.

I don't know, have you ever heard the balloon theory about parrallel worlds and if you have, have i just understood it wrong?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Midnighttosix » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 pm

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:I don't know, have you ever heard the balloon theory about parrallel worlds and if you have, have i just understood it wrong?

Yeah, the theory is that different Universes 'branch off' from each other, but each universe is one seperate entity. Think of it like a cell multiplying and creating two more: if the original cell dies, then the other two still exist.
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Yrael » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Midnighttosix wrote:
owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:I don't know, have you ever heard the balloon theory about parrallel worlds and if you have, have i just understood it wrong?

Yeah, the theory is that different Universes 'branch off' from each other, but each universe is one seperate entity. Think of it like a cell multiplying and creating two more: if the original cell dies, then the other two still exist.

Sorry to sound dumb, but i don't understand your point.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Pausert » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:31 am

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:
Midnighttosix wrote:

I think what Midnighttosix is trying to say is that you start with one cell (world). This cell is, say, a day old. When this cell divides both of the "new" cells are a day old because they came from the one cell that was was a day old. If you destroy one of these copies the one cell remaining reflects only the other cell in that it has the all the characteristics of the original cell up to the point of its division. It is not affected by any changes that happened to the other copy after division. The same holds true for worlds. Sorry, if I made that more confusing.
From what I understand of the Bubble (Balloon) theory you talked about it doesn't have to do with time frame. Its an explanation of the possibility of a new universe simply ceasing to exist or continuing on to become another world. I could be wrong in my interpretation though. The little information I could find in a quick search was extremely vague and confusing and kept talking about the "froth" of the universe. >.>
Pausert
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Yrael » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Pausert wrote:
owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:
Midnighttosix wrote:

I think what Midnighttosix is trying to say is that you start with one cell (world). This cell is, say, a day old. When this cell divides both of the "new" cells are a day old because they came from the one cell that was was a day old. If you destroy one of these copies the one cell remaining reflects only the other cell in that it has the all the characteristics of the original cell up to the point of its division. It is not affected by any changes that happened to the other copy after division. The same holds true for worlds. Sorry, if I made that more confusing.
From what I understand of the Bubble (Balloon) theory you talked about it doesn't have to do with time frame. Its an explanation of the possibility of a new universe simply ceasing to exist or continuing on to become another world. I could be wrong in my interpretation though. The little information I could find in a quick search was extremely vague and confusing and kept talking about the "froth" of the universe. >.>

So basically, when one world is formed from another, it has all the same featurres, that only alter due to the different paths the worlds take.

Trystobefunny wrote:Well they don’t use the Knife to travel to worlds for fun. They do it because they have to. The creators of the knife used it to smuggle goods threw the worlds and look what happened. Specters. So yes, it means don’t use it unless you have to.

You could argue that they didn't have to smuggle goods, because stealing is a sin.

Also, why didn't the Torre de La Angelie, move there people into a new, spectre free world to start over, did that thought never cross their minds?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife