The Republic of Heaven

Worlds geography

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Worlds geography

Postby Yrael » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:31 pm

In TSK, well in fact at the end of NL/TGC it says that Lyra crosses from the bride in the north, then in TSK she says that she arrived in Cittigaze (if that's spelt right!) on a cliff, Will arrives from oxford and arrives in Cittigaze, but at the end of TASG It says that Will and Lyra's Worlds are overlapping, so how come Lyra comes from the north, but just meters away from where she ends up is her Oxford, i hope this question makes scence, i just want to know how this works, maybe this connected to how Mrs Coulter manages to get the Himilaya's in one day, make friends with the village and get settled in? Or maybe how Lord Asriel sets up the biggest army ever, builds a fortress, and does everthing else in a matter of days, or again am i just randomly confused about something simple, if so SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME PLEASE!

Thank you!
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Re: Is this right about the worlds?

Postby kezmondo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:08 pm

Well, it does say in one of the books ( I forget which one) that Lyra and Will's worlds are overlapping, but one universe is slightly off the other. Imagine two world maps laid flat on a table . Then imagine the top one being move up and then right a little. This means that England would be to the right of where Svalbard is and the Cittagazze would be inbetween, kind of like a walkway. If you search around on the internet, you should be able to find a map, with our world in red, and Lyra's world in green.
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Assarhaddon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 am

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:In TSK, well in fact at the end of NL/TGC it says that Lyra crosses from the bride in the north, then in TSK she says that she arrived in Cittigaze (if that's spelt right!) on a cliff, Will arrives from oxford and arrives in Cittigaze, but at the end of TASG It says that Will and Lyra's Worlds are overlapping, so how come Lyra comes from the north, but just meters away from where she ends up is her Oxford, i hope this question makes scence, i just want to know how this works, maybe this connected to how Mrs Coulter manages to get the Himilaya's in one day, make friends with the village and get settled in? Or maybe how Lord Asriel sets up the biggest army ever, builds a fortress, and does everthing else in a matter of days, or again am i just randomly confused about something simple, if so SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME PLEASE!

Well, it says that the worlds are a bit out of synch and that this will be mended after the closing of all the windows, so that only then will Lyra's and Will's Oxfords be in the same place. But flawless logic doesn't belong to the strengths of the story anyway, so just don't think too much about it. There are many more weird things that are hard to explain.
Assarhaddon
Grazer

Postby AUST » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm

And of course Lyra walks for days and days to get there-eating berrys and stuff...
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Yrael » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes but at the end they can just cut between the two oxfords, no travelling required!
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Jez » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 pm

No, they do have to travel at the end. Will leaves for his Oxford first, and then Lyra travels with the gyptians all the way back through to her own Oxford.

Xaphania tells them that once all the windows are closed, the worlds will return to their proper relations with each other, so that Will and Lyra's Oxford are in the same place again.

I think it was Lord Asriel's bridge that threw everything out of synch; Lord Boreal comments that the places the windows lead to have shifted since that opening in the north was made.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Assarhaddon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:39 am

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:Yes but at the end they can just cut between the two oxfords, no travelling required!

They cut between Will's Oxford and Cittagazze.
Assarhaddon
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Oh i see now, thank you very much Jez, i thought he cut a window for Lyra as well then he left for his oxford, sorry i had a misunderstanding there. :oops:
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife