The Republic of Heaven

Accents in TSK

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Accents in TSK

Postby Nyx » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Acronyms rock.

So here's the deal. In the HDM thread there's a post about Spreading HDM. I'm a college student, and I'm spreading the series by reading it out loud to my parents. Neither of them are big readers, but they let me read Golden Compass to them, and they loved it. :) Now we're on Subtle Knife.

With TGC, I used a pallet of voice tones and accents to make everyone sound different (and also just for kicks ^_^). I'm very proud of myself because when the movie came out, all of my voices were spot-on. Lyra, Roger, Pan, Scoresby, the Gyptians, Iorek, the voices all matched up with New Line's--and I'd never seen the trailer. Bwahaha. 8)

...But TSK is hard!

So I need the help of you all, my fellow HDM fans. I need some ideas for how to voice the different regions and settings of TSK. Cittagazze in particular. It makes me think it's supposed to sound Italian or something, but that doesn't seem like it makes any sense.

And--all right, say everyone flashmobs and says Citagazze accents should be Italian. I, have... no bleeping idea what an Italian accent sounds like. Where do I go to listen to and learn different accents? I'm not an actor, I'm a network security major. I don't know these things. :shock:

Thanks for the help! :mrgreen:

--Nyx

Also: If anyone else wants to start reading HDM aloud to someone too, and isn't really sure how to do it, don't hesitate to peg questions here. It's fun! If you love the series (and why else would you be here?) you should probably try it for yourself. ^_^
Nyx
Grazer

Re: I'm reading TSK out loud, and I need some RoH TLC!

Postby bharned1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 am

For Italian accents, try watching the Godfather movies.
Tommorow we will sweat and toil, our hands will quiver caked with soil.
Tommorow we'll give it one last chance,
but tonight we dance, but tonight we dance!
-Rise Against, But Tonight We Dance
bharned1
Zalif

Postby kezmondo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:17 pm

heh, try here for some pointers.

This might be helpful aswell.
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Postby daemonpurra » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:02 am

Italian? why the italian accent for citigazze?
but if you want to talk italian watch any kind of maphia movie or some kind of italian cooking show :wink:
Mrs. Coulter sounds like a sexy criminal mastermind
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:39 pm

daemonpurra wrote:Italian? why the italian accent for citigazze?

That's how they sound in the official audiobooks...
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby intotheworld » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:01 am

I didn't realize when the last post was from before I got interested and started typing, so I figure since I've made this post I might as well share the information as it may be of interest to someone.

I think it's spelled Cittàgazze, with an accent on the a.
The word Città means city in Italian.
If I get unlazy, I might find a way to upload my Italian teacher saying the word Città.
Just for an easy description of how to say Città, it sounds similar to the English word Ceetah.
Gazza or Gazze in this case, is a type of bird. I attached a sound clip of what it sounds like.
This is a sound wave of the word Città:
http://www.logosdictionary.org/sound/it/892421_n.wav
This is a sound wave of the word Gazza:
http://www.logosdictionary.org/sound/it/2061695_n.wav
obviously you need change to the proper ending.
While attempting not to get too confusing... a is the italian female singular word ending, to change into the plural of a word ending in a, you generally change to e which is the female plural ending.
intotheworld
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Luca » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:47 am

Imagine every character is being played by Brian Blessed. Problem solved.

Also, I've said it once before but it bares repeating now... I fell in love with a girl

Luca wrote:...Tulio's sister Angellica. My word, what's going on with her accent? She's the greatest Irish-Italian-Jamaican I've ever heard...

Oh, and "Cheetah-Gart-Zay"
So tell me now, o tell me this: a forest’s son, a river’s daughter, a willow wand, a will-o-wisp.
Our ghosts will wander all of the water.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby Kyrillion » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 pm

Aw, what a lovely idea. My dad read The Subtle Knife to me. I was about fifteen at the time - my parents kept reading to me for a long time :)
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby lozzie_kytara » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:04 pm

I am currently reading my mother Northern Lights, and she is really enjoying it. I am using voices too, which is the most fun part as it allows me to be the Lyra I have always so longed to be.

I always associated Cittagazze as a kind of odd italian-jamaican-somewherehotbythesea combination. A useful resource for voices I have found was to listen to the unabridged audio cassettes, that's where I get any voices I am stuck on from. But I would say really just to do what feels right, and not compare the voices to the film, as you are voicing the characters that you see in your head, not the ones the actors and director put in the film.
lozzie_kytara
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife