The Republic of Heaven

Pronouncing "Subtle"?

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Pronouncing "Subtle"?

Postby onehumaneye » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm from the US and when I visited UK a few years ago, one thing stood out especially about language difference. People in UK pronounce words as they are written compared to us. Regardless of regional dialect, we tend to slur the sounds, often pronouncing different letters as though they were the same and skipping over others altogether.

So how is the word "subtle", pronounced in Britain? In the US the b is silent in this word; we say something like "suddle".

To b or not to b?
onehumaneye
Grazer

Re: Subtle?

Postby Bellerophon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:32 pm

See the first two entries here.

Looks like the 'b' is a spelling mistake that occurred with such frequency it became standard practice. It is silent.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Nora » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 pm

onehumaneye wrote:So how is the word "subtle", pronounced in Britain? In the US the b is silent in this word; we say something like "suddle".

It's not really pronounced "suddle" in the US, at least around here, it's more "sut-ul"
Image Image
Nora
Gallivespian Spy

Postby onehumaneye » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 am

Thanks. Just thought I'd better check.
onehumaneye
Grazer

Postby Northen_Lights » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:03 pm

It's sort of pronounced "suttle" over here in old Blighty.
Spoiler:
Boo.
Northen_Lights
Gyptian

Postby TheRealNeo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Is it translated right when it is in Germany something like magical knife?
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:16 am

TheRealNeo wrote:Is it translated right when it is in Germany something like magical knife?

Not quite. The word 'subtle' (which, incidentally, in Australia is pronounced 'sutt-ul') means all these things.

It seems to me that the Knife is a combination of all the myriad meanings of 'subtle' - from number 1 ('thin, tenuous') to 2 ('fine or delicate in meaning or intent; difficult to perceive or understand') and 6 ('cunning, wily, or crafty'). What do people think?

I think the confusion with the spelling (the 'b') reflects what happened to a lot of English words when the spelling was standardised. Educated people tried to put in silent letters (such as 's' in 'island') to reflect the words' Latin and Greek roots. The dictionary website sums it up here:

subtle
c.1300, sutel, soutil, in ref. to things, "of thin consistency;" in ref. to craftsmen, "skilled, clever," from O.Fr. soutil, from L. subtilis "fine, thin, delicate, finely woven," from sub "under" + -tilis, from tela "web" and texere "to weave" (see texture). The spelling with -b- reflects confusion with subtile. Most non-material senses were present by late 14c.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby MojaveByrd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:45 am

I always thought of subtle as meaning quiet or hidden. Something not blatantly obvious or loud. To just look at it, the knife just a knife. But if you study it, you see the subtlety of the blades and their hidden attributes and abilities. Maybe just fishing, but that's how I read it.
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Postby lozzie_kytara » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 am

MojaveByrd wrote:I always thought of subtle as meaning quiet or hidden. Something not blatantly obvious or loud. To just look at it, the knife just a knife. But if you study it, you see the subtlety of the blades and their hidden attributes and abilities. Maybe just fishing, but that's how I read it.

I thought that too, and also it seems to find the subtle microscopic snags in the fabric of the world, where it can cut through, and it does this so subtly that only the person in control of the knife would be able to feel anything at all. But then again I could just be fishing as well. 8)
lozzie_kytara
Grazer

Postby waitingForDust » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:35 pm

I'd go with the 'multi-meaning', and I particularly favour 'cunning'.
I really liked that boy's description of how spectres came about, with someone using a knife to cut a piece of lead until it was so small that at the last cut the spectres came out of a rolled up piece at the end. A perfect description of multiple dimension theory from quantum physics. Also, Iorek's comments when he was repairing the knife about 'how do you know the knife doesn't have intentions of its own?'
I sometimes wonder if Pullman had a quantum physicist at his side when he wrote the book as the book is full of similar examples of inspired writing based on research.
waitingForDust
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Exactly. Pullman was very careful with his language in HDM. Not a word is out of place. Any 'important' word in the series (and subtle is certainly one of them) was chosen very carefully, with much thought about the many possible meanings of the word and the ways in which these multiple meanings can interact.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife