The Republic of Heaven

Do you have a favourite historical figure?

Questions about Anything Non-HDM

Postby Somewhat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 am

As opposed to Alexander the Great who conquered the whole world and died at 33 :P. Bloody useless medicine.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:52 am

Well, yeah. For him to appeal, he would have had to have tried to conquer the world, and failed dismally. And died old, alone, and bitter.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Slizer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:06 pm

Sibelius from finland he was tru-musician and from global gallery of people I would like to show my appreciation to Charles Chaplin.
Poker! is a game of skill ,
Elmo is a tiger Elmo Roar Elmo Hunt Elmo climb Elmo eat Elmo wash Elmo Zzz
Slizer
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Diolmhain » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:40 pm

My favourite historical figure is Fionn Macumaihl the mighty hero of leinster...

If hecounts as historical that is...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby TidyKiwi » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:00 am

Don't know about having a favourite, but i find Elizabeth 1 really interesting and maybe Shakespeare since i am a Shakespeare nerd.
Stewie Griffin: Damn you, vile woman, you've impeded my work since the day I escaped your wretched womb.
TidyKiwi
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:21 am

No, go for Marlowe...he was a SPY!!! (plus, if he hadn't been killed, he would have been far more well known than Shakespeare, because his plays are awesome!!)
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Aliyah » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Alexander the great, Julius caesar and... I don't know...
Non credere che il Diavolo non esista.

Sii come le onde del mare che, pur infrangendosi contro gli scogli, hanno sempre la forza di ricominciare.
Aliyah
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:32 am

Do you like them because of what they achieved, or because they died before they were able to achieve what they wanted?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:59 pm

Julius Ceaser damn well managed to achieve what he wanted, albiet one spectacular murder and a massive civil war later.
And the only place in the known world Alexander the Great didn't reach was India. I wish he did, he could've invaded America with an army of elephants... :D
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby necromancer1989 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:39 pm

The Marquis de Sade. he was just so freakin sick...yet brilliant at the same time
necromancer1989
Zalif

Postby Celestial Madness » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:22 pm

Pierre de Fermat

Carl Friedrich Gauss
I have a truly marvellous life which this signature is too narrow to summarize within.

Celestial Madness
Angle of Repose

Postby bowman89 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:01 pm

It's difficult to think of a favourite off the top of my head, but I think one of them would certainly be Lord Nelson. Or maybe Edison. To think of Edison's impact on the modern world is frightening.

Oh, and yeah I'd totally agree about King Arthur. Even though, if he did exist, he would probably have been nothing like in the legend.

Around them there was nothing but silence, as if all the world were holding its breath.

SILVERTONGUE
bowman89
Grazer

Re: Do you have a favourite historical figure?

Postby Llei » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:18 pm

Jameson wrote:
Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:
Charles Stewart Parnell

whuuuuttttttt? He went power mad and destroyed his own career, while setting back the party as a whole. He also abandoned the land league on his route to power.

Micheal Davitt pwns all. ALL!

Ah now, that's a bit unfair isn't it? Parnell's affiliation with the Land League was always a matter of convenience - Home Rule was always his aim, right from the get go.

I'm not so sure about "power mad", either. I suppose, he should have realised that the Kitty O'Shea scandal wasn't just going to die down, and that his reputation couldn't recover from it, but he really was the best man to lead the party, and the first one who even got the Irish question on the table. He didn't destroy his own career. The Victorian love of scandal and stilted notion of morallity destroyed his career.
"The meaning of an episode was not inside like a kernel but outside, enveloping the tale which brought it out only as a glow brings out a haze."
Llei
Grazer

Postby Evermind » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:41 am

Cleopatra, Alexander the Great, the Prophet Muhammad, Ibn abd as-Salam, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela to name a few. Oh and the Pre-Raphaelites as well.

edit: I forgot to add the great Fanny Kemble.
Even the ashes of lovers find no rest.

Image Image Image Image Image
Evermind
Gyptian

Postby The Funny Man » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Actually, Alexander could've invaded America anytime he wanted. There wasn't too much resistence at the time remember?

I'd say FDR. He was crippled, but you never knew until he already was elected. AHAHAHAHAHA!!! FOOLED YOU ALL!!!
"And Shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. As power has flowed forth from thy hand, so that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et filii, et Spiritus Sanctus."
The Funny Man
Gyptian

AOL: bob_saget@yahoo.com

Postby Roonil_wazlib » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:03 pm

Socrates is definitely my favorite. I always pick him as the historical figure I would most want to meet, followed closely by Christine de Pizan. If you haven't heard of her look her up. IMO she was the first feminist. Also Benjamin Franklin of course.
Roonil_wazlib
Grazer

Postby shady » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Yeah Martin Luther will do the thing,and Attila the Hun
Some Will Fall but i Rise Thug Or Die
Makin Choices that Determine my Future Under the Sky
shady
Gallivespian Spy

Website: http://www.TheHateUGiveLittleInfantsFucksEveryone.com

Postby jasman71 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:58 pm

I used to think someone like Lord nelson, but the last couple of years I have been of the opinion that my historic idol would have to be Ernest Shackleton. For someone who didn't achieve much of what he initially set out to in the first place, he was a terrific leader with such inner strength to survive, putting his men first before himself. Ok, he strayed a tad from his wife, and he wasn't 'perfect', but for the title of being the 'last great explorer', he earned his stripes and respect, and ultimately died doing what he loved the most.
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Return to “%s” Anything Goes - Questions and Polls