The Republic of Heaven

What was your reaction to the ending?

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Re: What was your reaction to the ending?

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:14 pm

TheReadingOwl wrote:I was saddened by the ending. It was such a joy to see after all that Lyra, and Will went through, all their challenges, the sorrow and pain they had to deal with, that they could find something so precious as love. Only to have to make the choice they did to go their separate ways. It's sad they had to lose each other but the love they had would never extinguish. I think by the choice they made it shows great strength of character, to put the betterment of others by deciding to build the Republic of Heaven, over their own desires to stay with each other shows that they are strong.

If anyone else can put it any better than that, I will give them my Playstation. That has made me feel a lot better about the ending - my initial reaction was an hour of crying. It still brings the tears up three years on. Still, it was a break from the usual "happy ending" so that was original. I like sad endings. Or endings where everyone dies.

Not that I don't like nice endings but still. It was a perfect end to what was a good piece of literature.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Iofur » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Quite depressing at first and made me unable to concentrate on other books... not many authors can do that...

p.s why is it called the amber spyglass? I can't remember it appearing in the book. (Sorry if I missed some key part in the plot by accident)
"Tyger, Tyger, burning bright..."
Oh whatever, that's not relevant here.
Iofur
Grazer

Postby bee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:22 am

Iofur wrote:p.s why is it called the amber spyglass? I can't remember it appearing in the book. (Sorry if I missed some key part in the plot by accident)

...It may be worth it to reread the entire book. The whole plot with Mary Malone and Dust are key, and the Amber Spyglass is how she views Dust.

In other news, hop over to the newbie welcome board and introduce yourself!
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Iofur » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Ah, I remember.
I always figured it as larger, though, like two large transparent panes instead of the small object on the cover. Then again, I am only a deceased former king of the bears, tricked by an exiled rebel.
"Tyger, Tyger, burning bright..."
Oh whatever, that's not relevant here.
Iofur
Grazer

Postby cjp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Silly bear.

As I seem to be on a run of resurrecting comatose threads, I'll add my thoughts in here too.

When I finished TAS (6 years ago now) I felt heartbroken, and extremely moved by the whole thing.

I have no problems admitting that, as a 20 year old man at the time (I'm still a man), I cried at the end of the book. The more unexpected bit was feeling like crap, like I'd been kicked in the gut, for the next week or so. That originally brought me here; almost as a support group, because I assumed I was the only person affected in such a way.

I realise now looking back that without the ending being the way it was, the whole series wouldn't have stuck with me as one of my favourites all these years. The very fact that I, and evidently many others on here, were so moved by the ending of a book is of great credit to Philip Pullman. Yes, the ending is sad; heartbreaking; cruel; depressing... but it's also a fittingly wonderful conclusion.

And there are plenty of hints/hopes/loopholes/messages/points to take away. I'm eagerly awaiting The Book of Dust; I'm sure to be hinted at further.
cjp
Grazer

Postby Night-san » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm

I found it quite sad. :c

However, I thought that Lyra leaving Pan was the most emotional part of the book.
Night- Human, female, Grey Wolf therian, ESTP, Pokémaniac
Sirocco- Dæmon, male, unsettled, ISTP, backseat gamer
ImageImage
I'm flying away, running like the wind, as I chase the sun
I'm spinning around, circles in my mind, sailing over ground
Signature GIF files are © their respective creators.
Night-san
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: night_san
AOL: akawolfgirl

Postby Dustyfed » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:53 pm

I have finished the book one week ago..And my heart is still bleeding!! :cry: It was the saddest end I have ever read!! I place my hopes in The book of dust!! I hope Will and Lyra get back together even if only for a moment!!!!
Dustyfed
Grazer

Postby tellthemstories » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Can you imagine how cruel it would be to meet again for a moment only to part? Next time they truly meet, they'll never part, and yet I don't think they truly ever did.

I've shared my experience of this ending so many times that I don't know how to put it anymore, you all know how I feel. Phillip Pullman, you are a credit to us all.
What does it take to make us real?
tellthemstories
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass