The Republic of Heaven

Photos of Lyra & Will's bench from the Botanic Garden

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Postby Enitharmon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:07 am

Riali wrote:Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion on the matter, but it is my opinion that it is fairly rude and ignorant to dismiss a person's expression of self like that.

No, it's not a personal opinion. Well, it is but that's less important than my perspective as a one-time chair of a big city planning committee, which had to find the funds to clean up the mess.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby SoulLily » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:00 am

Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with the carving on the bench. On the one hand, it's simple and it shows that one regular person, not specifically anyone with great artistic talent, was moved by the story and really felt it, as mentioned earlier. On the other hand, it's rather larga and obvious and... I don't know. Something small and more subtle would've been nicer, I think.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:51 am

Weren't we once, a long time ago, going to get together and try to get the OU authorities to let us put up a plaque or something similar?

... I suppose it'd get nicked ... :evil:
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:27 am

Peter wrote:Weren't we once, a long time ago, going to get together and try to get the OU authorities to let us put up a plaque or something similar?

And didn't we decide that we couldn't usurp Jane Tomkinson and Mary Menteath, whose bench it was first? Weren't we going to appoint them honorary sraffies?

This is a book, after all, which calls on us to show some respect for the dead...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:02 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Peter wrote:Weren't we once, a long time ago, going to get together and try to get the OU authorities to let us put up a plaque or something similar?

And didn't we decide that we couldn't usurp Jane Tomkinson and Mary Menteath, whose bench it was first? Weren't we going to appoint them honorary sraffies?

This is a book, after all, which calls on us to show some respect for the dead...

I wouldn't want to replace their plaque - just put up another one nearby.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Mogget » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Peter wrote:
Enitharmon wrote:

I wouldn't want to replace their plaque - just put up another one nearby.
It's actually a really good idea. Seeing as HDM is practically canon in a lot of Oxford, I don't think it would be excessively difficult to get something small with Will's and Lyra's names on it put up there. Also, I think it would stop people from feeling the need to scribble all over a perfectly good bench.

Appointing Jane Tomkinson and Mary Menteath as honorary sraffies isn't a bad idea either.
~(p^~p)
e^(iπ)+1=0
6*9=42
Mogget
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Australis » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:17 am

It sounds like the bench is renewed fron time to time; in the New Yorker article by Laura Miller (Dec 26, 2005) "Far From Narnia", PP is quoted as saying: "Once I saw something...It turned out to be a little wooden heart with 'For Will and Lyra' written on it. Isn't that nice?" Mind you, it's not specified that it was THE bench.

I like the idea of a plaque. Those who come across it without realising its significance, may be moved to find out. Nothing wrong with that, and the bench is big enough to share with Jane and Mary.
Australis
Zalif

Postby Townie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:58 pm

I've been down there a couple of times and although there really is no arguement for graffiti (unless used by some resistence movement etc) I did get a warm glow from the scrawlings. I suppose I felt a comforting fraternity with the culprits. On the second occassion I left a little note on a bit of paper and put it on the arm rest with a stone on it. I suppose it probably ~*iguana*~ someone off, but at least it was temporary.
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Re:

Postby sfsraffie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Last edited by sfsraffie on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Photos of Lyra & Will's bench from the Botanic Garden

Postby Acchon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:25 pm

If I ever visit england, I'm gonna visit that park. And I am gonna cry my eyes out. Gosh, can't believe how sensitive I am. Just finished the last book today. :(
My avatar is my daemon Uruvia the wildcat, according to the official move site. Just in case you wanted to know.
Acchon
Gallivespian Spy

Re:

Postby Acchon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:27 pm

bee wrote:I think it could be romantic if it weren't hacked into the bench. Sharpie maybe, or smoother carving (which granted takes a lot more time, but if you're that obsessed, it oughtn't matter). If it were beautiful graffiti, I'd like it. But it's not.

I think it creates a sort of simple aura to it, as if it was carved in there when they both where present
My avatar is my daemon Uruvia the wildcat, according to the official move site. Just in case you wanted to know.
Acchon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:32 pm

OH MY GOD! Pullman does his research. I checked up his account of Metatron in my mother's bible, and the book says Metatron was once Enoch, son of Jared, son of Mahalalel. Damn right! I can trace Metatron back to Adam now!

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby two_worlds » Mon May 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Oh all of those places and especially the bench in the botanic garden are just wonderful. I never new such places exist. And now I even was able to take a look at Lyras and Wills bench in in this virtual tour. What a great idea to create something like this! :)
8 years ago I was in England aswell(with my class) but I didn´t know the books at this time.

All I can say is, that I definitely would cry if I was in this garden.

To the graffiti stuff: Well my opinion towards this is that the bench should remain in its original state. So basically I am not against graffiti or anything but in this case it just does not fit.
two_worlds
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass