The Republic of Heaven

the cost of the war in iraq

For debate and discussion of news and current events and other important issues

Postby Enitharmon » Mon May 31, 2004 10:30 am

Melancholy Man wrote:
lvfire wrote:Ive read that if you walk up to the white house and ask to speak to the pres, you get a 3 day psych work up at Bethesda for your troubles.

And if you forget to call Number One "Mr. President", you get shouted at.

And I've read that if you walk up to the White House, you don't get the chance to ask to speak to the president!
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Max » Mon May 31, 2004 12:01 pm

eloquent wrote:In order for anarchy to work we'd need to shed about 90% of the population. Proximity to other humans is what would destabalise true anarchy (ie everyone living their own lives, completely unnaffected by other people).

At least 90%, certainly - all the rapacious malcontents would have to go.

Is it in the Netherlands, where they have that anarchistic state; but even that is beginning to falter, as more and more rules are introduced and the place is overrun by drug dealers.

No, I don't think humans are capable of anarchy, there will always be a lowest denominator is society who will disrupt the situation with their own greed and megalomania.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Will » Mon May 31, 2004 6:58 pm

Max wrote:Is it in the Netherlands, where they have that anarchistic state; but even that is beginning to falter, as more and more rules are introduced and the place is overrun by drug dealers.

Centre of Amsterdam. But it's more the fact that the police are busting them that means it's being shut down.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby lvfire » Mon May 31, 2004 8:01 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Melancholy Man wrote:
lvfire wrote:Ive read that if you walk up to the white house and ask to speak to the pres, you get a 3 day psych work up at Bethesda for your troubles.

And if you forget to call Number One "Mr. President", you get shouted at.

And I've read that if you walk up to the White House, you don't get the chance to ask to speak to the president!

Its funny to think that less than a hundred years ago the pres used to walk by himself to a local hotel in the evening and have a few drinks. It became a bother though when people began to want to talk to him about politics, this by the way is where the term "lobbyist" comes from.
lvfire
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: jsnow1181

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon May 31, 2004 9:34 pm

Its funny to think that less than a hundred years ago the pres used to walk by himself to a local hotel in the evening and have a few drinks. It became a bother though when people began to want to talk to him about politics,

Did the assassination of three unprotected prezzydants in less than 40 years not have something to do with it?

this by the way is where the term "lobbyist" comes from.

Good titbit of infomation.

If anyone tried that on 43, I can see him preforming a 'killigore kick' to get away.[/quote]
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby lvfire » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:09 am

I think most of that came around after 'ole honest abe was assisinated. Even right through that war you could walk into the white house and ask to speak to the pres.
lvfire
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: jsnow1181

Postby Melancholy Man » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:46 am

lvfire wrote:I think most of that came around after 'ole honest abe was assisinated. Even right through that war you could walk into the white house and ask to speak to the pres.

The line from Blackadder Goes Forth: "The most ill-advized comment since Abe Lincoln said 'I'm sick of hanging around the house all day. Let's go and take in a play'."

double post deleted
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Return to “%s” The Credibility Gap