The Republic of Heaven

UK General Election Voting Intentions

For debate and discussion of news and current events and other important issues

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon May 02, 2005 2:00 pm

David F wrote:
Enitharmon wrote:That can't be right. None of them are called Anderson or Isbister.

I know. And yet so many Twatts.

I would have expected at least one MacDonald or Jamieson.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Qu Klaani » Mon May 02, 2005 2:22 pm

Pointless...in Cheadle. I think not.

Its pointless anywhere, nobody's vote is going to be swayed by a bloody sign outside someone's house, and it just makes you look stupid.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Enitharmon » Mon May 02, 2005 5:00 pm

David F wrote:I know. And yet so many Twatts.

They don't like it in Shetland when the Orcadians dominate their affairs.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby David F » Mon May 02, 2005 5:26 pm

Dante wrote:Are Aberdein and Nugent related in some way? It's the eyebrows.

Everyone's related here.

Nah, they're all great.

Melancholy Man wrote:I would have expected at least one MacDonald or Jamieson.

They draft in people from Aberdeen, as they're worried locals might fiddle the expenses. :o

Can't believe I actually wrote that...

Enitharmon wrote:They don't like it in Shetland when the Orcadians dominate their affairs.

Bunch of ~*iguana*~ hippies.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby Darragh » Mon May 02, 2005 6:05 pm

What does it mean by a "hung" parliment? What impact would it have if it happened?
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Kinders » Mon May 02, 2005 6:37 pm

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Enitharmon » Mon May 02, 2005 6:43 pm

Darragh wrote:What does it mean by a "hung" parliment? What impact would it have if it happened?

It means that no party has an overall majority, so all the opposition parties could combine to defeat the government.

The consequence tends to be horse trading to create coalition governments, which tend to be unstable as coalition partners tend to squabble over the terms of the agreement. Either that or opposition parties gang up to obstruct the government. Lib Dems do deals with the BNP, for example.

Don't believe the Lib Dems wouldn't by the way, they do things like that all the time. They like you to think they are the party of honesty and integrity but because the Lib Dems are the eternal third party they are the most unscrupulous. They will espouse any cause that will get them attention. They support minority rights in one place. They are virulently anti-minorities where it suits them and there are votes in it (I remember them being disgracefully anti-traveller in Bristol). They support parking controls in Richmond (which they controlled) and oppose them in Kensington & Chelsea (where they didn't even have a councillor).

Oh yes - in 1979 the (then) Liberals joined forces with the Scot Nats to bring down the Callaghan government. The result was eleven years of Maggie Thatcher - and they were proud of what they did!

Trustworthy? the Lib Dems? My arse!
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Postby Will » Mon May 02, 2005 8:20 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:
Pointless...in Cheadle. I think not.

Its pointless anywhere, nobody's vote is going to be swayed by a bloody sign outside someone's house, and it just makes you look stupid.

Psh, you know how easily swayed some people are; they'll see signs and think "ah, other people are voting that way, I might too."
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon May 02, 2005 10:14 pm

Trustworthy? the Lib Dems? My arse!

Now probably wouldn't be the time to say that my mother's parents were close friends with David Steel's folks.

You still haven't told us how you're planning to vote, Rosie. I'd surmised that some time ago - Lib Dem policies may look natty, but because not even they believe they'll get into power, they are able to make wild claims.

Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Enitharmon » Mon May 02, 2005 10:35 pm

Melancholy Man wrote:You still haven't told us how you're planning to vote, Rosie. I'd surmised that some time ago - Lib Dem policies may look natty, but because not even they believe they'll get into power, they are able to make wild claims.

Not sure I know myself, yet. Though I'm still haunted by nightmare visions of Michael Howard reciting the prayer of St Francis backwards on the steps of 10 Downing Street on Friday morning :sick:

So it may be for that nice Mr Page anyway.
The Book of Enitharmon
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon May 02, 2005 10:54 pm

Oh, I rather like black masses, so Ms McLaren may be lucky.

Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby David F » Tue May 03, 2005 1:17 am

That Tory broadcast tonight.

Michael Howard being for 'the forgotten majority'. Still can't figure that one. Does this majority have to be 51% or over? I'm pretty sure it does, but I can also see how it might not, so if there's anyone who dabbles in statistics and is perhaps more alert than I am, your contribution would be much appreciated.

And very annoying - the continual reference to 'May fifth'. It's the fifth of May. And these peepul are supposed to defend Britain against foreign ways.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby Melancholy Man » Tue May 03, 2005 8:01 am

I blame bloody 9/11.

Enitharmon wrote:
pjmaster wrote:isn't it annoying how 17 years olds and under cant vote.

No.

I have enough problems with the thought of knackers in Leith who can't even wash properly being given a vote. The thought of a spotty-faced 16 year old voting is almost too much.

<Calmly aims Glock 26 at PJ>

This ain't personal, you understand, it's just that I have anger-management issues.

Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Townie » Tue May 03, 2005 5:15 pm

The only thing I've found remotely interesting this time is that Garry Bushell is standing in his beloved Greenwich and Trimble is trembling in Upper Bann....
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby Hephaestion » Tue May 03, 2005 5:57 pm

This Week last night was rather interesting, with lots of hissing and booing cloaked under a raiment of polite cross-examination in which all three ideologies were found wanting, and some very interesting points about the positions of New Labour and the Conservatives and the new campaign by the Conservatives against Labour.

Personally, I'm waiting to see Boris and Tony in the ring, preferably on the BBC after Dead Ringers and before Have I Got News For You :roll:

I still wish it was the US election I'd had a chance to make a difference in.

I'd like to thank Ina, Jaya, Tom and Jamie, and Callum, who was there in spirit. I love you all! { tear }
Hephaestion
half a heart for Albion

AOL: ninepathsmistrod
Location: 'tween the clustered shroud and the boundless ether

Postby jessia » Tue May 03, 2005 9:32 pm

Melancholy Man wrote:I have enough problems with the thought of knackers in Leith who can't even wash properly being given a vote. The thought of a spotty-faced 16 year old voting is almost too much.

i bet the 16 year old who doesn't bother to wash properly won't bother to show up to vote..
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Lalura » Wed May 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Melancholy Man wrote:
Lalura wrote:I was think along the lines of supporting Scottlandia, or Wales, what do you think?

Galles, definitely. Schottlandia is a dump.

Or will be, by the way that politician was going on about it.

I was sent my postal vote from home the other day, I only had four choices for the main election, and five for the local, one of which didn't seem to stand for anything, so if I do vote, then I'll do it at uni, I may have more choice. Trouble is, I'm so worried that my vote will make a difference, that I'm not keen on voting for the main parties (who I don't trust (along other reasons)), so I'm trying to avoid having to choose between them. If they don't have any smaller parties that I could win seats for on this ballot, then I'll just put a squiggly line through the whole paper as a mark of protest and post that in the box.

Sorry, too apprehensive.
You cannot trust this girl. Her mind has been warped by colours, sounds and shapes.

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise.
Lalura
Isilvala

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed May 04, 2005 3:09 pm

I'll just put a squiggly line through the whole paper as a mark of protest and post that in the box.

Theres really not much point to that, as it just isnt counted as a vote at all.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Lalura » Wed May 04, 2005 3:15 pm

I know, that's my point, they'll see that I don't like the parties, so they'll invent a new one for me
You cannot trust this girl. Her mind has been warped by colours, sounds and shapes.

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise.
Lalura
Isilvala

Return to “%s” The Credibility Gap