The Republic of Heaven

Evolution

For debate and discussion of news and current events and other important issues

Postby Jez » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:02 pm

According to the ECFR paper published simultaneously this week in the International Journal Of Science and the adolescent magazine God's Word For Teens!, there are many phenomena that cannot be explained by secular gravity alone, including such mysteries as how angels fly, how Jesus ascended into Heaven, and how Satan fell when cast out of Paradise.
:killingme: How silly can you get?
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:37 am

So what has it to do with then?

I can't be arsed getting het up about this. Something which, incidentially, an awful lot of so-called secularists are guilty of when their judgement is questioned. This ain't my the fate immortal soul of my immortal soul I'm concerned with, nor does it affect the physical safety of people around the world. ID is a clumsy term; implying, as it does, that I believe in a conscious and acutely-sighted watchmaker. I don't like it in the same way many Quackers don't like being called 'Christian' because of the negative associations.

My problem with the hierophant Dawkins is that he's a pillock. If, by sheer chance, he conceeds his world-view in wrong, he will admit that he's wrong only in the sense that he doesn't have the full picture; he will never entertain the possibility that he's wrong in the sense he is wrong.

Evolution remains a creation-myth. A damn good creation-myth which, more than most creation-myths, has a very strong element of truth. But our knowledge of the cosmos is too incomplete to ascribe to it unassailble truth (such as our rising, as simple-celled organisms, unbidden from the malarial depths of the prediluvian swamp).

Alec, what's happened to you?

Nowt. I've had my rants against Dawkins before - this is the first time the actual subject of evolution has come up.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Townie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:18 pm

That pretty much sums it up for me too. I take a humanist approach to stuff like this. Logically the best bet we have to go on is the sum knowledge/experience that our best minds can come up with. We shouldn't get arrogant and say we have all the mysteries sewn up, though, we'll never know everything, which incidently should not be a matter of regret!

We all have people that get up our noses, for one reason or another - Polly bloody Toynbee is my own personal one at the moment.
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Return to “%s” The Credibility Gap