The Republic of Heaven

Gay Marriage

For debate and discussion of news and current events and other important issues

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:54 am

hermit wrote:ALARIS IS BOTH FASHIONABLE AND UNIQUE. IT IS PERFECTLY POSSIBLE FOR ALARIS TO BE BOTH FASHIONABLE AND UNIQUE BECAUSE OF THE PURE AND SIMPLE REASON THAT IT IS ALARIS

HAIL ALARIS!
HAIL THE FASHIONABLE ONE!
HAIL THE UNIQUE ONE!
HAIL!

You make me sick.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Soapy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:58 am

Melancholy Man wrote:
hermit wrote:ALARIS IS BOTH FASHIONABLE AND UNIQUE. IT IS PERFECTLY POSSIBLE FOR ALARIS TO BE BOTH FASHIONABLE AND UNIQUE BECAUSE OF THE PURE AND SIMPLE REASON THAT IT IS ALARIS

HAIL ALARIS!
HAIL THE FASHIONABLE ONE!
HAIL THE UNIQUE ONE!
HAIL!

You make me sick.

Mission accomplished 8)
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:01 am

You people are all the same...

women, I meant women, I'm not being homophobic or racist or anything

Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Kyrillion » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:50 pm

this is brilliant: the great question Goths are Annoying, Discuss actually appears to be more contentious than gay marriage.

It's a culture, well the true goths are anyway. There are people who pretend to be goths because they're trying to be different, but real goths are like that because that's who they are. Live and let live.

Actually, I largely agree and my original comment ('goths are just annoying') was glib. I have some goth friends and they're exactly the same as all my other studenty friends - that is to say, incredibly pretious and superior while generally insecure. This is, after all, youth culture.

As far as stylistic choices go I don't really care if you want to have your skin tattooed black to match your black fishnets and corset, but I do find goths to tend towards the superficial.

This is huge generalisation and please keep in mind I come from Brighton where everyone is superficial. There's actually several by-laws requiring excessive pretention as soon as you come within a 100-yard radius of the North Laine.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby David F » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:29 am

Cool.

Brian: (To crowd) You're all indiviuals!

Crowd: (In unison) Yes! We're all individuals!

Lone voice: I'm not.

Anyways, can we start having a go at Wiccans now?
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby Naomi Silvertongue » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:30 am

David F wrote:Cool.

Brian: (To crowd) You're all indiviuals!

Crowd: (In unison) Yes! We're all individuals!

Lone voice: I'm not.

Why do want to have a go at Wiccans??? :?
Colonel William Tavington: You know, it's dirty business doing one's duty... but just occasionally it's a real pleasure.

Benjamin Martin: He cannot be held as a spy.
Colonel William Tavington: Oh, we're not going to hold him. We're going to hang him.

Colonel William Tavington: Thank you very much. Shut the doors!
Hardwick: But you said... we'd be forgiven!
Colonel William Tavington: And indeed you may! But that's between you and God.

Colonel William Tavington: Pretty impressive for farmers with pitchforks.
Naomi Silvertongue
Almighty Short One

AOL: OneTreeFunkeHill

Postby David F » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:44 am

Oh, gay marriage - of course. I don't think you could (or should) force religions to conduct them, but as a civil ceremony, groovy.

Why Wiccans? Because I'm feeling mean and petty at the moment.

It's not Wiccans per se, just... you know when it (or anything) is done as something 'alternative'? Where someone wants to make this big show of going against the 'mainstream' and so go find something 'alternative', and get very showy about it? Just pisses me off, as does anyone who would ever style themselves 'alternative'. Though usually it's sweetly laughable.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby writteninveggies » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:56 am

David F wrote:It's not Wiccans per se, just... you know when it (or anything) is done as something 'alternative'? Where someone wants to make this big show of going against the 'mainstream' and so go find something 'alternative', and get very showy about it? Just pisses me off, as does anyone who would ever style themselves 'alternative'. Though usually it's sweetly laughable.

I totally agree that the "alternative style" so to speak, makes no sense. Then again, neither does mainstream style, so why pick on the "alternative mainstream style"? I do not think, however, that doing something just to be different, is stupid in any sense. We need differences to survive. We need unique views, etc. I think this does say something about gay marriage as well. It's about people fighting for everyone to be the same. WHY!?!
writteninveggies
Witch

AOL: writteninveggies

Postby Soapy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:33 pm

Being the same and having the same rights are two very different things.

It's not like gay people all want really to just be a heterosexual couple, they just want the same right as heterosexual couples.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Melancholy Man » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:48 am

Can we start having a go at Wiccans now?

Yup, can't stand the buggers. Bloody miserable town, Wick.

Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Kyrillion » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:08 pm

By all means. I AM one, and I can't stand the pretentious little buggers.
Kyrillion

Postby hubert » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:37 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:Well its not that I don't believe in bisexuals per se, its just, as with many things, Im instantly skeptical of teenagers who are into anything thats presently "cool" and faddy, such as communism, hip hop, the colour pink, and bisexuality.

According to Wikipedia, recent studies have indicated that the majority of the population (around 90%) are bisexual (even those who like the opposite sex the most have at least some latent homosexuality.) And honestly, who has not had some sexual feelings for members of their own sex? Although it is a somewhat taboo subject I would suspect that most have had some indication of their own bisexual tendencies. Adolescence (being the time when sexuality is emerging) seems a reasonable time for one to embrace one's "true self".

Other trendy things are usually rebellious, indicating the impulse to "leave the nest" and fix whatever is wrong with the world. Not only does engaging in rebellious behavior create strong bonds of friendship, it can also be considered the beginnings of experimentation in the realm of ethics and morality (not that there is any difference between ethics and morality; but listing both of them helps the flow of the sentence.)

I suppose the color pink could be an indicator of the feminine and thus emerging homosexuality, but personally I believe that it is a popular color because it is associated with the best band ever (namely, Pink Floyd).

MbtE.

Worlds on worlds are rolling ever
From creation to decay,

Like the bubbles on a river
Sparkling, bursting, borne away.

-Worlds on Worlds (From Hellas by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wildflower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

-William Blake

The Tower is as wide and spacious as the sky itself...And within this Tower, spacious and exquisitely ornamented, there are also hundreds of thousands of towers, each one of which is as exquisitely ornamented as the main Tower itself and as spacious as the sky...Sudhana, the young pilgrim, sees himself in all the towers as well as in each single tower, where all is contained in one and each contains all.

-Avatamsaka Sutra (ancient Buddhist text)

hubert
Grazer

Postby writteninveggies » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:09 am

hermit wrote:Being the same and having the same rights are two very different things.

It's not like gay people all want really to just be a heterosexual couple, they just want the same right as heterosexual couples.

I was saying quite the opposite, I think. Why does anyone think that gay couples shouldn't have the same rights? Because they want the only people who have those rights to be heterosexual, and the same...I lost my train of thought there.
writteninveggies
Witch

AOL: writteninveggies

Postby Kyrillion » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:59 pm

Other trendy things are usually rebellious, indicating the impulse to "leave the nest" and fix whatever is wrong with the world.

If only the latter WAS trendy...
Kyrillion

Postby hubert » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:40 pm

Kyrillion wrote:
Other trendy things are usually rebellious, indicating the impulse to "leave the nest" and fix whatever is wrong with the world.

If only the latter WAS trendy...

Yeah, well.... *sighs, takes a long drag on a hand made Cuban cigar, then speaks in a voice full of worldliness and wisdom...* C'est la vie. :wizard:

MbtE.

Worlds on worlds are rolling ever
From creation to decay,

Like the bubbles on a river
Sparkling, bursting, borne away.

-Worlds on Worlds (From Hellas by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wildflower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

-William Blake

The Tower is as wide and spacious as the sky itself...And within this Tower, spacious and exquisitely ornamented, there are also hundreds of thousands of towers, each one of which is as exquisitely ornamented as the main Tower itself and as spacious as the sky...Sudhana, the young pilgrim, sees himself in all the towers as well as in each single tower, where all is contained in one and each contains all.

-Avatamsaka Sutra (ancient Buddhist text)

hubert
Grazer

Postby animejunkie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:50 am

I believe in civil unions, I do not believe that churches or any other institutions should be forced into allowing mairrages.

Anyways, for me I just want to have equal rights, and be able to live with the one I love, and have the same benefits as any other couple within America.
animejunkie
Grazer

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:15 am

Yep...they should definitely be allowed to be coupled. For legal sake at least (though my parents would tear my throat out if they heard me say such a thing). It's their choice who they want to be with.

And in response to that post saying that 90% of the population is bisexual...I think that it's all just a case of the pleasure center not caring as long as it is exercised. I know a lot of people that have healthy heterosexual relationships with another person thrown into the mix as a means of excitation for both. Doesn't make anyone a certain sexuality in my opinion.
I feel refreshed now that my eyes aren't exploding out of their sockets!
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby tyche » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:29 am

According to the Kinsey scale very few people are totally straight or totally gay they just tend to lean more to one side or the other.

Anyway i'm for gay marriage. I can't really think of any legitimate reasons for anyone to be against it apart from Religious reasons and thats not all that legitimate considering most countries have a separation of church and state (assuming the marriage is a civil marriage).
Over here we have civil unions (available to gay couples and straight couples) which are pretty much marriage with a different name although i think our government should have just been brave and legalised marriage.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” The Credibility Gap