The Republic of Heaven

The use of "gay" as an insult

For debate and discussion of news and current events and other important issues

The use of "gay" as an insult

Postby Ultracommando93 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:41 am

Split from - http://www.bridgetothestars.net/forum/v ... p?t=203218

angelofboox wrote:
Ultracommando93 wrote:(even if the vehicles are a bit dodgy- the carriage Lyra rides in looks gay

I wasn't aware carriages could have homosexual tendencies ;)

Please reconsider your choice of language.

1. This carriage did look homosexual. It is in fact that bad.
2. "gay" is often just an insult these days.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby Riali » Mon May 28, 2007 10:53 am

Ultracommando93 wrote:
angelofboox wrote:
Ultracommando93 wrote:(even if the vehicles are a bit dodgy- the carriage Lyra rides in looks gay

I believe we are all aware, Ultracommando93, that the term "gay" is in common use as an insult. Jaya's point, however, is that this is a particularly offensive use of that particular adjective. I, for one, back her in objection to your vernacular. Also, even if the carriage does in fact appear to you as having homosexual tendencies, I fail to see how this makes it any more or less aesthetically pleasing.

(My, that does sound lovely and pompous, doesn't it? I do like to throw some multi-syllabic words out there once in a while! :wink: )

edit:fixed the name. silly typo. thanks, moonflash!
Last edited by Riali on Mon May 28, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Somewhat » Mon May 28, 2007 11:06 am

Her name's Jaya. ;)

Ultracommando, why does being gay make it bad? And how on earth is it gay anyway?
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby furbaby » Mon May 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Ah, the eternal evolution of the English language with its shifting meanings ....

How would you feel if your name was Gay? I have met a few people with this name.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Ultracommando93 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:29 pm

furbaby wrote:
How would you feel if your name was Gay? I have met a few people with this name.

How about this?

I know of people with the middle name "gaylord" -how coud any parent do that to their child?

The point is, everyone, that the carriage, whatever adjectives I use to describe it, looks bad. Very bad.[/img]
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Postby Gabe » Mon May 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Yeah fine, just use a less offensive word. Using 'gay' as a negative thing is indeed quite common, but that doesn't make it any less offensive. I've seen/heard it used quite often, and it annoys me every time.
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Ultracommando93 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:47 am

Mockingbird wrote:
Ultracommando93 wrote:It's so bad that it looks homosexual? Keep digging yourself into that hole.

Wow. I must be the only sraffie in existence still capable of vomprehending the literary device know as "sarcasm". Get a grip!
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Postby Darragh » Tue May 29, 2007 1:18 pm

Ultracommando93 wrote:
angelofboox wrote:

STFU and GTFO. Think about that for a second. To call something gay is an insult? Do you think gay people are cool with that. You may owe some people on these boards an apology there.

Wow. I must be the only sraffie in existence still capable of vomprehending the literary device know as "sarcasm". Get a grip!

~*bullpineapples*~. Apologise.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby KittyKat » Tue May 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Stop it, everyone. Just stop it and leave it.
Jellybaby?

Now I'm through my hyperactive kid stage, and into moody teenager stage of evolution. ~*iguana*~ off!

The topic or post you requested does not exist

I can't get the piccie in, but I am Post Whore Sraffie '07.
Honest.

If you see a leaf blow past you in the wind...
it's the metaphor for my sanity and I lost it again. Please call 0800 - 555 - 666 to claim your 10p reward.
KittyKat
Angel

Location: Where troubles melt like lemon drops (that's where you'll find me on weekends)

Postby Jaya » Tue May 29, 2007 3:40 pm

I feel like we're losing control here. :shifty:
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Ultracommando93 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 am

Darragh wrote:To call something gay is an insult? Do you think gay people are cool with that. You may owe some people on these boards an apology there.

It is where I come from. Then again, we may be in different countries, so perhaps slang evolved differently here. If you have never heard the word gay used as an insult before, then maybe you misunderstood me. But where I'm from, it's used as an insult far more often than it is used to mean homosexual. Google "this thread is gay" and you'll see what I'm on about. Where I'm from, if you were to call someone gay, it wouldn't mean "you're homosexual", it would mean "you're an idiot". It just doesn't have those connotations anymore, at least not when used in this form. Hell, half the people I know thought it meant stupid before they learnt its current meaning (which continues to evolve).

In fact I have heard it used as an insult no less than three times in the last three weeks (my usage of it here notwithstanding), none of which meant homosexual. Probably some people aren't "cool" with that (note: I think questions are supposed to be ended with question marks, BTW), but that doesn't stop the word being used as an insult quite a lot.

~*bullpineapples*~. Apologise.

Oh yes, I really thought that the carriage was homosexual. I was in no way being sarcastic. After all, how could I not think this looked homosexual?

Just to confirm, the paragraph just above this image was also being sarcastic- note the general thing about not actually meaning what is written down.

If you can formulate any reasons for this image to suggest the carriage has homosexual tendancies, please feel free to post them, because I'm stuffed if I can see how it does. Before you make posts about what soomeone else has said, think "is this really what they meant?". Because a disturbingly high number of people seem to think I reckon that carriage is homosexual, for reasons I can't quite fathom. Just because I used the word "gay" to describer something, which now has several meanings, doesn't necessarily mean I think it is homosexual.

I find it utterly amazing that we can argue about someone's choice of insults.

What was this thread about anyway? Edit: Oh yes, of course, the issue of film fans and novel fans. Yes, there will be some fans of the film who haven't read the novels. But it will convince a few fans at lest to read the books. I don't exactly see the problem in all honestly- it's just a movie/book, guys! :)

EDIT: In response to everyone's general inability to interpret the word "gay" in an way other than strictly "homosexual", I have in fact changed the offending post so that it says the carriage looks crap, thereby ending this issue for good. If I really have offended anyone, I would apologise with all my heart, if I had one. Still, as Will pointed out, perhaps the same word has different connotations here. I still find it hard to believe that a particular word can offend so many people.
Last edited by Ultracommando93 on Thu May 31, 2007 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Postby Jamie » Wed May 30, 2007 1:12 pm

Ultracommando93 wrote:If you can formulate any reasons for this image to suggest the carriage has homosexual tendancies, please feel free to post them, because I'm stuffed if I can see how it does. Before you make posts about what soomeone else has said, think "is this really what they meant?".

My god! The irony! :roll:

Did you ever stop to think that we didn't think you meant it was gay, but were just trying to get you to understand you're offending people by using the word gay as an insult, and that despite the fact that it's in common usage now no way justifys said usage? Btw, we need a filter for the word ~*baguette*~.

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Jez » Wed May 30, 2007 1:52 pm

Jamie wrote:Btw, we need a filter for the word ~*baguette*~.

I suggest 'teddy-bear'.

...And I have nothing else to contribute. Jaya is right, this thread is out of control.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Somewhat » Wed May 30, 2007 2:21 pm

Jez wrote:

I suggest 'teddy-bear'.

'Baguette'! Don't ask me why.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Mockingbird » Wed May 30, 2007 5:30 pm

moonflash wrote:
Jez wrote:

I suggest 'teddy-bear'.

'Baguette'! Don't ask me why.

I don't think we have to ask why. :P But if we put a filter on the word '~*baguette*~' what about innocent things like pin ~*baguette*~ and by the pricking of my thumbs...
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Peter » Wed May 30, 2007 5:43 pm

furbaby wrote:Ah, the eternal evolution of the English language with its shifting meanings ....

I've been to his house - well, looked at it from the outside :)
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Gabe » Wed May 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Ultracommando93 wrote:It is where I come from. Then again, we may be in different countries, so perhaps slang evolved differently here. If you have never heard the word gay used as an insult before, then maybe you misunderstood me. But where I'm from, it's used as an insult far more often than it is used to mean homosexual. Google "this thread is gay" and you'll see what I'm on about.

In fact I have heard it used as an insult no less than three times in the last three weeks (my usage of it here notwithstanding), noe of which meant homosexual. Probably some people aren't "cool" with that (note: I think questions are supposed to be ended with question marks, BTW), but that doesn't stop the word being used as an insult quite a lot.

I assume you're in the US, in which case I know what you mean perfectly. I know that you're probably not using the word "gay" in an anti-homosexual way, but the fact remains that the usage of "gay" as an insult stems from anti-homosexual feelings. Whether or not you meant it to be offensive, it's still offensive. And yes it is widely used, however we generally (at least at one time) try to be a little more respectful then the typical internet forum. :)
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Somewhat » Wed May 30, 2007 11:16 pm

He's in Australia. It's used even more here, it really gets on my nerves.

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Darragh » Thu May 31, 2007 1:10 am

Ultracommando93 wrote:
Darragh wrote:To call something gay is an insult? Do you think gay people are cool with that. You may owe some people on these boards an apology there.

It is where I come from. Then again, we may be in different countries, so perhaps slang evolved differently here. If you have never heard the word gay used as an insult before, then maybe you misunderstood me. But where I'm from, it's used as an insult far more often than it is used to mean homosexual. Google "this thread is gay" and you'll see what I'm on about.

I'm well aware of the insult, you completely missed the point. If you think it's ok to use the word gay as an insult then you will at be removed from these boards. Why? Because it's ~*iguana*~ offensive and people with an obnoxious attitude like yours rarely last long.

In fact I have heard it used as an insult no less than three times in the last three weeks (my usage of it here notwithstanding), noe of which meant homosexual. Probably some people aren't "cool" with that (note: I think questions are supposed to be ended with question marks, BTW), but that doesn't stop the word being used as an insult quite a lot.

Listen you pretentious little ~*baguette*~, that is completely irrelevant and once again you completely missed the point. I wouldn't taking pot shots at my typing errors if I were you. Esspecially when you can't spell "now".

Get some sense! If you just apologised when I told you too your reputation wouldnt be completely ruined on this forum. Vomprehend that.

Oh yes, I really thought that the carriage was homosexual. I was in no way being sarcastic. After all, how could I not think this looked homosexual?

No you didn't. What makes something "look" homosexual?

I find it utterly amazing that we can argue about someone's choice of insults.

I find it utterly amazing that you can say something offensive and think you will get away with it. "Hey that carriage looks dumb" "What, Jewish?" "Yeah that thing looks mega jewish....and also black."

I mean..come on.
:flush:
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Mr Anderson » Thu May 31, 2007 1:46 am

Don't argue over this. Commando, you just have to realise that by using the term Gay as an insult, you strongly insinuate that being gay is a bad thing. So if you are asked not to, then please don't. It's not a lot to ask.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Return to “%s” The Credibility Gap