The Republic of Heaven

After a mention of the atheist bus campaign

For debate and discussion of news and current events and other important issues

Re: After a mention of the atheist bus campaign

Postby Darragh » Fri May 22, 2009 3:29 pm

There are so many denominations and variations of Christianity that as a label it's pretty meaningless.

Well, it means they believe in Christ as the son of God and our Lord and Saviour. That tells me a lot about a person. :wink:
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Kinders » Fri May 22, 2009 4:17 pm

For some people Christianity means nothing more than trying to be a good person.

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Darragh » Fri May 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Kinders wrote:For some people Christianity means nothing more than trying to be a good person.

I was just joking initially, I'm in a bad mood with all Christians (irrationally) for a recent report published in Ireland this week but...

That's a strange thing to call trying to be a good person. Id call trying to be a good person "Trying to be a good person". Which I guess could be a religion? I'm not trying to be smart but if that's all someone's belief consists off why bother associating yourself with Christ and his dad?
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Kinders » Fri May 22, 2009 6:21 pm

I guess in the same way that people feel they can identify a nation as Christian. It's always easier to label yourself than define yourself.

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Philharmonic » Fri May 22, 2009 8:47 pm

i agree with darragh - trying to be a good person should be a religion. sort of christianity without the bible and god and jesus and then when he took the weight of sin on hisn back and got nailed to a couple of planks god starts up with the 'i have no son i have no son' business....

actually i think its called buddhism

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby jessia » Fri May 22, 2009 10:25 pm

i don't don't think darragh was trying to claim trying-to-be-a-good-person as a religion. i also think it's a gross oversimplification to simplify buddhism to merely trying-to-be-a-good-person.

and i think it's strange to identify as christian without any sense of the scripture and the history, even one challenges aspects of it. like darragh said... christ as lord and saviour, even if you disagree on theological matters such as the trinity. but i suppose that goes to what kinders said about labels and self-definition.

Kinders wrote:I guess in the same way that people feel they can identify a nation as Christian. It's always easier to label yourself than define yourself.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat May 23, 2009 11:35 am

Darragh wrote:I was just joking initially, I'm in a bad mood with all Christians (irrationally) for a recent report published in Ireland this week but...

It's not really irrational, your nice moderate wouldn't hurt a fly unless it was a pregnant woman Catholics provide the support and cover for the inevitable evils of the Church. It's rather damning how 90% of Catholics barely agree with the Church on anything, but still give it money every week. These revelations, as utterly unsurprising as they are, should make any Catholic feel shame, because we were complicit. Of course it's great that the church is being slowly kicked out of our societies, but they're gaining a stranglehold on developing countries and all this will inevitably be repeated.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Qu Klaani » Thu May 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Someone pointed this out to me, in relations to what Darragh was talking about. Not an easy watch.

Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Philharmonic » Fri May 29, 2009 8:35 am

...right, yes, so clearing it up for myself (can you verify this, anyone?), the church isnt quite a goody-two-shoes organization as its cooked up to be?

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Darragh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:29 am

Qu Klaani wrote:Someone pointed this out to me, in relations to what Darragh was talking about. Not an easy watch.

[youtube][/youtube]

I watched that when it was on. Pretty powerful stuff.The minister who he was "tearing the ~*Wibble*~ out of" is the Minister for Transport who I have spoken with a few times because I'm on the Transport Committee. He's a...

*gets fired*
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Return to “%s” The Credibility Gap