The Republic of Heaven

Putting God back in public schools

For debate and discussion of news and current events and other important issues

Putting God back in public schools

Postby Saraneth » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:51 pm

I found this petition/website today. I was pretty disgusted by it, actually. It's about putting God back in public schools. One of the opening lines of the petition is "Our God is right, not Buda, not Mohammed, etc." and that just royally pissed me off. The whole site and cause is narrow-minded and stupid. She tells people who believe in different gods (or nothing) to sit down and 'be silent'. Now, I'm Catholic. May not be the best one, but I am. And I do think that religion should be an optional class choice in public schools for those WHO WANT IT. This bitch wants to force it on everyone. I completely disagree.

http://www.putgodback.com

I e-mailed her and told her my differing opinion haha. She's crazy.
Saraneth
King of the Bears

AOL: aDIM83

Postby random guy » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:54 pm

that disgusts me...
King Ogunwe wrote:why hasn't random guy conquered the universe yet?

in time my friend... in time...

a livejournal...
random guy
Spectre

Postby King Ogunwe » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:26 am

i'm all for religion... just not for pressing it on other people...
<--- My daemon, "Kirina"
{Keer-ee-nah}
King Ogunwe
General of the Republic

AOL: burtonbadass216

Postby random guy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:37 am

same with me...

a livejournal...
random guy
Spectre

Postby Tristan » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:03 am

ditto. Religion is somebody's choice, not a forced view point from someone else.
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby King Ogunwe » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:16 am

and there's definetly not a "right" religion...
<--- My daemon, "Kirina"
{Keer-ee-nah}
King Ogunwe
General of the Republic

Postby Daniel » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:18 am

Some Idiot wrote:It took only one insane woman to change the future, which lead to the deaths of many children by taking prayer out of our schools. That needs to die a death along with her!!!
Since when did a lack of prayer kill people?
A Woman With The Quality of Something Almost But Not Entirely Unlike Reason wrote:My solution to all the above would be to allow a moment of silent prayer each day for all students, with no doctrines being taught. Allow the student to only hear about the Love of the same God, who gave his son Jesus on the cross to bring us back to him which this country was founded on, not other gods who have come in that door since the founding of this Nation.
No doctrines being taught? That looks like a doctrine to me.
*sigh* Well, at least you tried.
Daniel
Tinkerer

AOL: polveroj

Postby random guy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:32 am

that person is an IDIOT
who knows nothing at all of what she is talking about, and notice that only about 100 people in the WORLD agree with her...

a livejournal...
random guy
Spectre

Postby Isobel » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:18 am

That's really upsetting. I just hope there's not a lot of people that gree, although there probably are. :( I don't think this will go anywhere, but still...Unfortunately, even as it is now, public schools here are not necessarily as free of religion as I think they should be. When I was in first grade I had this horrible teacher who tried to press Christianity on everyone, all sorts of Christmas projects and that sort of thing. That sort of thing shouldn't be happening at all, but I'm not Christian, and everyone else in the class was, so it was really uncomfortable for me.
Isobel
Witch

Postby Saraneth » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:29 am

She has 14,000 signatures all in support. See I wouldn't mind if you could have optional religion classes, etc. in public schools. Cause I think the Christians and whoever else should get the opportunity. But not like this. This woman is telling everyone else to shut the hell up, it's her show. She thinks everyone has to be Christian and there should be mandatory things in school. Her response to minorites, immigrants, and people of different beliefs: "Get used to it.". Wtf is that?
Saraneth
King of the Bears

AOL: aDIM83

Postby King Ogunwe » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:39 am

Wow... 14,000 people that should all take a long walk off a very short pier...
<--- My daemon, "Kirina"
{Keer-ee-nah}
King Ogunwe
General of the Republic

Postby AySz88 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:40 am

This woman seriously has this country's values confused.
- Don't let your processing power go to waste! Volunteer Your PC and fight against cancer and more!
- My nickname looks like alphabet soup to people, so I go by "Soup".
<-- That's my dæmon! (Celierra, ce-lee-air-ra) - "wei" means "my dæmon/human and I"
Okibi on dæmons in this forum
Life is much more like a soap opera than most people think.
Tom Stoppard wrote:No problem is insoluble given a big enough plastic bag.
- On the National Theatre's plastic bags.
AySz88
Celierra, Red Fox

Yahoo Messenger: AySz88
AOL: AySz88

Postby King Ogunwe » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:41 am

wasn't this country founded to have no religion?
<--- My daemon, "Kirina"
{Keer-ee-nah}
King Ogunwe
General of the Republic

Postby jessia » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:52 am

LoL, the "freedom of religion" in the american constitution was originally to allow protestant americans to bash the catholics, in response to the british up in canada allowing the quebecois freedom to practice catholicism after they threw out the french.

now they'd like us to believe they really meant freedom to practice, but whatever.

you really can't start off an smart petition with the words, "our god is right," it's biased, and makes the petitioner sound ignorant. i think religion should be taught in public schools, but not in a "this is what is true, now believe it" kind of way. in high school, my school has a world religions kind of course. it's a social studies/sciences course. it makes sense to learn about the beliefs (and cultures, 'cause they intertwine) of others. it promotes tolerance and understand and all that good stuff, and at the end of the course, you've gotten smarter and gained a high school credit. nothing wrong with bringing God into public classrooms, but proclaiming and teaching which god is the "right" god - especially in a school run and paid for by the (separate from relgion) state - is up the the individual participant alone, not the teacher.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby King Ogunwe » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:58 am

i must say i agree... if people knew how similar the worlds religions are, they would be astounded...
<--- My daemon, "Kirina"
{Keer-ee-nah}
King Ogunwe
General of the Republic

Postby Pyr » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:58 am

im not really religious, but i dont mind the sort of "american religion" which are a bunch of commercialized holidays=presents, and it kinda sucks to not be allowed to do any of it in school. i dont mean like preaching cristianity, but having a secret santa and setting up an easter egg hunt for younger grades and stuff..we used to do that kind of stuff but not anymore...
Pyr
Witch

Yahoo Messenger: donthaveoneoftheseeither
AOL: doesntwork

Postby Nix » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:41 am

Over here we have Religious Education. It's basically a normal lesson where you get taught the beliefs of the 7 major world religions, (Hinduism, Judasim, Buddhism, Islam, christianity, Sikhism and Jainism) and how they pray, what their doctrines are etc. This year we have also been learning how the differant religions react to problems out in the world, most of them will help people, even if they are not the religion that they themselves practise.

It is a compulsory lesson, butit doesnt just force people to believe in christianity, in fact there is less on christianity as their beliefs are simpler to understand. It would be more benficial to the population of the world if this was taught in all countries as they might reaslise that just because someone is doing something that you think is threatening to you, it's natural for them as it is their Religion.
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby Isobel » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:58 pm

I think a class where they teach about many different religions is a good idea, as long as they're not trying to force any beliefs. I agree that does sound like it would be beneificial for helping people understand and respect other religions and cultures more. Maybe they should have a petition to do that here, not have some mandatory Christian class. :roll:
Isobel
Witch

Postby Tristan » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:46 pm

Yeah, being able to take like a history of religion would be neat... but being forced to believe a single religion? These are the kind of people who give a bad name to religion... it's disgusting, really...
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby random guy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:14 pm

they're like

"we're not saying that everyone should be christian, we are just saying that everyone who is IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL should be forced to be christian..."

a livejournal...
random guy
Spectre

Return to “%s” The Credibility Gap