The Republic of Heaven

Ian's Pullman interview (Gothenburg book fair)

Discuss other books by the author, and Pullman related news here

Ian's Pullman interview (Gothenburg book fair)

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Edit: Interview is here

Right, at the end of last week, I spoke to a few people who are reasonably high up at this place, and asked if they'd back me if this came off, so I should thank them.

I'm currently trying to secure an interview on behalf of BTTS and HDM.org with Philip Pullman, at some point during the weekend (while both he and I are at the Gothenburg book fair). I haven't yet got 100% confirmation that this can go ahead, but the signs look very promising, and even if I don't get permission, I'm going to hound him all weekend anyway.

This is where you all come in. I need you to think of some questions. They need to be relatively brief, and not too complex, but they should be relevant, interesting and designed to get original and informative answers from him!

I'll probably draw up a list of questions on Wednesday, or Thursday, so think of them quickly!
Last edited by Ian on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Leif » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:42 pm

Ask about the Book of Dust. We need to annoy him as much as possible about it so he'll finally have to publish it.
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Stargirl » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:26 am

how did he manage to make lyras oxford so short? i wnated to burn it when i finished reading it becuase it just made me want more, how could he manage not to write more? essentially, what was the POINT of it?! did he just want to antagonize us?! is he planning on continuing it in the book of dust?

also, does he answer any of his fan mail personally? or are ALL of the people who write to him sent a form letter?

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:22 pm

Is The Book of Dust the do-all and end-all of everything His Dark Materials based? Will he ever write about his worlds again? Has he been in freqent contact with Anand Tucker or is he allowing him to take his time and weave his own artistic devices?

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Phit » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:33 pm

Stargirl wrote:also, does he answer any of his fan mail personally? or are ALL of the people who write to him sent a form letter?

He answers it personally, but give him around a year for it.
-be a pal...pass the mead
Phit
Gyptian

Postby zemarl » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:30 pm

Congrats, Ian! :)

I've got a question that wasn't answered last time, probably overlooked: what about Deaths? I'm just looking for anything, really, as he doesn't go into a lot of detail. How is it that Lyra was able to lie to her Death? Are they just not as close a part of you as daemons are, or is there more to it than that? Where do they go when someone's taken the boat, and if they cease to exist or the like, what will happen to Lyra when she actually does die - or will she even be able to? I'm hoping some of this will be in the Book of Dust, but just wanted to ask anyway.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Enitharmon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:49 pm

Oh well done Ian!
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Yelbakk » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:19 pm

Ask him if the armored bears have Dust ;-) (This question has been subject to some debate around here and the more I think about it, an answer will be highly informative in terms of Pullman's current view on the nature of Dust, armored bears, humanity, and generally all sorts of things.)

Y.
Yelbakk
Grazer

Postby Soapy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Yelbakk wrote:Ask him if the armored bears have Dust

Seconded! I want to know what he says.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby jessia » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:49 pm

a question for pullman regarding his first books: why is it that he doesn't like to talk about the haunted storm and will there ever be a reprint of galatea?
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Jez » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:50 pm

Congrats on getting the interview! I'd post a question but my mind is strangely blank right now... Um, maybe ask for some more details about the upcoming film? Like, what would he personally like to see included in it?
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Darragh » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:01 pm

I remember Max having some good questions on that sraffie event deely that didn't get answered by Pullman because he obviously didn't read the page 5 of 5 part and only answered one page of questions.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Ian » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:08 pm

Link?
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby jessia » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:22 pm

this is the discussion page: http://www.bridgetothestars.net/srafboa ... um.php?f=4

see the chat transcript for the questions mr. pullman already answered.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Kinders » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:26 pm

Mr. Pullman's agent wrote:Dear Kinders Kinley

Thank you for your letter inviting Philip Pullman to take part in your documentary.

However Philip has asked us to decline all invitations and requests on his behalf, as he is hard at work on his next book, THE BOOK OF DUST.

I am sorry to disappoint you in this.

*fume!*

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Melancholy Man » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 pm

You don't really have 'Kinders' sewn into your vest?

Iain, I've always been perplexed by the absence of Mussulmen or, at the very least, the Saracens and Moors[1]. Assuming my idea of a victorious Calvin causing the stagnation of European expansion, they would of then represented a far more real danger than the already centuries old Tartars. Was there any reason PP picked the Calvinists (other than, say, mad Scots terrorizing other countries? A good reason, I admit)?

With this snubbing out of Iberian expansion, was he creating a world in what different centres of culture co-existed with equally powerful militaries? I like this quote of his:

If pagan religions are less corrupt than Christianity, it's only because they haven't been in power. Give them a few centures of political authority and they'd be as corrupt as the rest.

[1] Maybe this is why early editions didn't include 'Allah' as a nickname of the usurper. It just didn't occur to him.

MbtE.

:twisted:
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Stargirl » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:14 am

Phit wrote:Stargirl wrote:
also, does he answer any of his fan mail personally? or are ALL of the people who write to him sent a form letter?

He answers it personally, but give him around a year for it.

yes, i have written to him before, more than a year ago now, and i sent the same letter to three diffrent addresses and he answered in i think under 2 months, i think about that. and it was obviously a personal letter. and then about 2 months ago i got a form letter in the mail from him. which i thought was absolutly hilarious for obvious reaons.
i was just wondering what he would say if asked that, becuase apparently both things happen, my dad said maybe hes got people who go through his mail for him and only give him the interesting ones to answer.......

Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:36 pm

Interviewed him this morning. An absolutely brilliant man, really nice. I'll try to get an article together for when I get home.

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Stargirl » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:49 am

lucky and i just thought of another questiong just now. too late.

Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:30 am

Stargirl wrote:lucky and i just thought of another questiong just now. too late.

Yes, very sorry that questions posted here are now to no use, as the interview has taken place. I'm also very sorry to anybody who's question didn't make it into the interview (most of the ones suggested were great though). I'll try and write up a decent article next weekend (I've too much homework before then, sorry). Unfortuantely, there won't be a direct transcript of the interview (as I couldn't find a recording device). but I will of course cover (comprehensively) everything that was said.

Thanks

Ian
The Frog Prince

Return to “%s” Philip Pullman Discussion