The Republic of Heaven

Ruby in the Smoke (BBC)

Discuss other books by the author, and Pullman related news here

Postby jessia » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:38 am

i was very impressed too. going in, i'd only known the names billie piper and julie walters and i was very pleased to see that i wasn't thinking "rose" for sally or experiencing anything but fear and disgust for walters' mrs. holland. adelaide looked very lyra (it was her television debut according to the bbc website).

Soapy wrote:Although, if they follow on and do The Shadow in the North - would it have been extremely controversial for Rosa to marry Bedwell?

the black people weren't black at all. when mrs. holland was threatening don gilet's character (i didn't pick up the name, but he was on doctor who this monday), she did not point out his skin colour as a potential identifier for the murder of marchbanks. i was wondering if the bbc does this a lot with period pieces. it's done all the time in theatre and not made a big deal of.

i thought fred was cast well but i did think jim was too old and too handsome. (he was in the history boys apparently) but he was played very well, just as amiable as he should be.

i haven't read the book in some time but if i were to spot the marketting audience, i'd say it was young adult, but when you think of it, it's pretty violent... does the 830 timeslot on BBC1 mean anything?

and btw, imdb lists a 4 february release date for the USA.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Crimen-Scene » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:15 pm

I wasn't paying attention to it properly when it was on but luckily I've recorded it and will settle down and watch it soon. What I did see though kind of made me think I'm not going to like it. I always imagined Jim as an older person (although obviously he isn't meant to be) but at the same time I thought Adelaide was too young. This is just going on characters and I'm sure I'll have more to say when I've watched it and analyzed it all properly. It did seem pretty well written mind, although I was a bit shocked at how quickly everything happens.
- [C.S]
Crimen-Scene
Grazer

Postby BenMech » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:02 pm

I saw it (on PBS's Masterpiece Theater) since I had no interest in that football game.

Pretty decent. Noticed at least one character missing (Trembler).

Pullman translates mighty well to the screen.

That bodes well for TGC.

Never read a review of the adaptation, though
BenMech
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: OceanMech
AOL: OceanMech

Postby silversong » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:42 pm

BenMech wrote:I saw it (on PBS's Masterpiece Theater) since I had no interest in that football game.

Pretty decent. Noticed at least one character missing (Trembler).

Pullman translates mighty well to the screen.

That bodes well for TGC.

Never read a review of the adaptation, though

*Horror*
It...was on last night, wasn't it. Excuse me, I must find a wall to bang my head against... :(
"Blame is for God and small children." Papillon
silversong
Armoured Bear

Return to “%s” Philip Pullman Discussion