The Republic of Heaven

Other Pullman Books

Discuss other books by the author, and Pullman related news here

Other Pullman Books

Postby Isobel » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:50 am

Has anyone read The White Mercedes or The Broken Bridge? I got these at the library today. I'm looking forward to reading them. They're next on my list, after I finish the book I'm reading currently. :D
Isobel
Witch

Postby katinka » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:49 pm

I've read the white mercedes... i think... is that the one about the guy who's a pyrotechnic?
"Arms arms arms arms arms arms arms arms, we have lots of arms, yeah!"
katinka
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Justine » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:28 pm

I read the White Mercedes. I can say one thing: very bad visual
*hug* i love you!
Justine
Angel

AOL: bluiswitedragon6

Postby Will » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:30 pm

Bad visual? Me no understand.
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby jessia » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:54 pm

supposedly graphic depiction of a one night stand

-----

anyone read pullman's fairytales? they're great. i've read clockwork and the firework maker's daughter, though i have to say that clockwork was better... beautiful-er, and the illustrations were much more... i don't know, just the cold wintery setting, matched really well.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Nix » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:06 pm

oh, i had to read the limehouse horror play for english 2 years ago. It was pretty boring but was not for children
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby Will » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:52 pm

supposedly graphic depiction of a one night stand

Huh? We are talking about a PP book here, right!? Are you serious?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby jessia » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:45 pm

very serious, but i've read the the north american version which isn't as editted as the british version.

see http://www.avnet.co.uk/home/amaranth/Cr ... ullman.htm

TB: The one of your books that’s received most strong comment for its content is The White Mercedes, recently republished as The Butterfly Tattoo.

PP: Yes, annoyingly. I wish they hadn’t done that.

TB: Why did they do that?

PP: The idea was, it was originally called The White Mercedes, a story about teenage love, basically; it’s a tragedy. When Macmillan republished it they said that the marketing people …if you have a story with the name of a car in the title, girls won’t read it. I merely report that! I goggled and said ‘what nonsense’ and they said ‘well, can we think of another title?’ I wasn’t particularly keen on the title The White Mercedes in the first place, but they told me it would help sell lots more copies if we called it The Butterfly Tattoo. Being unmotivated by anything but the highest motives I thought ‘jolly good, more money!’ so I agreed to it. But in fact it hasn’t done as well as it did when it was called The White Mercedes, so I think they were wrong. .. Your question wasn’t about the title, though, was it? It was about the content.

TB: It’s actually quite a graphic and unsettling tale of teenage love.

PP: Yes. Not as graphic in this country as it was in the States.

TB: Oh really?

PP: It was – I won’t say ‘censored’ in this country, but they suggested I tone down the sex scene a bit in this country. So I did, because the story didn’t entirely depend on the graphic qualities of the sex scene. But they didn’t suggest that in the States. In the States, you see, they have this category called ‘Young Adult’, and ‘young adult’ books can be full of sex, violence, rude language – whatever you like. If they’re called ‘teenage’ books or ‘children’s’ books they have to be very much more fussy about it, but because it was marketed as young adult I could be as rude as I liked.

TB: [to audience] Has anybody got an American edition? … I suppose

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Isobel » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:28 am

Well now I definitely have to read it to see what you're all talking about. :D Not surprisingly, I got the North American edition. That's interesting, though, I always thought Americans were supposedly the most strict about things like that, and censoring them out of things meant for children or teenagers.
Isobel
Witch

Postby AySz88 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:30 am

Hmm...we always thought others would think of us as too lenient, and the British were stiffs!

I got out a copy before from our school library, but I had exactly 30 minutes of free time to read it, in 2 months. Got up to like the 3rd chapter before people started noticing I had been carrying around the same book for a long while.
- Don't let your processing power go to waste! Volunteer Your PC and fight against cancer and more!
- My nickname looks like alphabet soup to people, so I go by "Soup".
<-- That's my dæmon! (Celierra, ce-lee-air-ra) - "wei" means "my dæmon/human and I"
Okibi on dæmons in this forum
Life is much more like a soap opera than most people think.
Tom Stoppard wrote:No problem is insoluble given a big enough plastic bag.
- On the National Theatre's plastic bags.
AySz88
Celierra, Red Fox

Yahoo Messenger: AySz88
AOL: AySz88

Postby jessia » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:54 am

how are books published in britain? not the publishing process, but audience targets. in north america, there are all sorts of divisions: childrens, young adult, preteen, all the genre divisions for those age divisions, and then farther more all the grown-up books and all their genre divisions.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Will » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:31 pm

PP: In the States, you see, they have this category called ‘Young Adult’, and ‘young adult’ books can be full of sex, violence, rude language – whatever you like. If they’re called ‘teenage’ books or ‘children’s’ books they have to be very much more fussy about it, but because it was marketed as young adult I could be as rude as I liked.

Yes, not quite sure what PP meant by this. I mean, we have that catagory too. How rigidly are these catagories stuck to in the US, they're not really set in stone here.
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Isobel » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:48 pm

I'm not sure, but I don't think they're very strict about those categories here, either. I think it's based more on reading level and general subject matter than specific instances of sex or violence. Also, a book is frequently put in the children's section at one bookstore or library and the young adult section at another, so the classification isn't always evry clear.
Isobel
Witch

Postby Nix » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:58 am

my next door neighbour has just lent me the brokjen bridge, i havent had a chance to read it but if anyone has, whats it like
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby Isobel » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:01 am

I finished The White Mercedes yesterday. It was good, not great like HDM, but I enjoyed it (I know, I know, I shouldn't compare). The sex scene was a bit graphic, but not as much as I had expected. PP really likes to do sad endings - this book was no exception. Has he ever written a book with a happy ending?
Isobel
Witch

Postby jessia » Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:18 pm

clockwork and the firework-maker's daughter have happy endings. but those are meant to be like fairy-tales.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby wyatt » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:36 am

what is the best pullman book besides HDM?
Trout, incidentally, had written a book about a money tree. It had twenty-dollar bills for leaves. It's flowers were government bonds. It's fruit was diamonds. It attracted human beings who killed eachother around the roots and made a very good fertilizer.
So it goes.

Slaughterhouse-Five
wyatt
Zalif

AOL: onehotbtch6

Postby jessia » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:17 pm

i loved clockwork. but i've only read a few of his other books.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby All_That_Jazz » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:25 pm

I'd say his best other ones are the ones about Sally Lockhart: The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, and The Tiger in the Well. Oh, I guess The Tin Princess goes with those as well.
Walk into splintered sunlight, inch your way through dead beams to another land...

"May all your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view; where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you."
~Edward Abbey
All_That_Jazz
The Nifty

AOL: amsterz42

Postby Annie3247 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:15 am

jess wrote:very serious, but i've read the the north american version which isn't as editted as the british version.

see http://www.avnet.co.uk/home/amaranth/Cr ... ullman.htm

TB: The one of your books that�s received most strong comment for its content is The White Mercedes, recently republished as The Butterfly Tattoo.

PP: Yes, annoyingly. I wish they hadn�t done that.

TB: Why did they do that?

PP: The idea was, it was originally called The White Mercedes, a story about teenage love, basically; it�s a tragedy. When Macmillan republished it they said that the marketing people �if you have a story with the name of a car in the title, girls won�t read it. I merely report that! I goggled and said �what nonsense� and they said �well, can we think of another title?� I wasn�t particularly keen on the title The White Mercedes in the first place, but they told me it would help sell lots more copies if we called it The Butterfly Tattoo. Being unmotivated by anything but the highest motives I thought �jolly good, more money!� so I agreed to it. But in fact it hasn�t done as well as it did when it was called The White Mercedes, so I think they were wrong. .. Your question wasn�t about the title, though, was it? It was about the content.

TB: It�s actually quite a graphic and unsettling tale of teenage love.

PP: Yes. Not as graphic in this country as it was in the States.

TB: Oh really?

PP: It was � I won�t say �censored� in this country, but they suggested I tone down the sex scene a bit in this country. So I did, because the story didn�t entirely depend on the graphic qualities of the sex scene. But they didn�t suggest that in the States. In the States, you see, they have this category called �Young Adult�, and �young adult� books can be full of sex, violence, rude language � whatever you like. If they�re called �teenage� books or �children�s� books they have to be very much more fussy about it, but because it was marketed as young adult I could be as rude as I liked.

TB: [to audience] Has anybody got an American edition? � I suppose

o man, remember that scene, whew weee nc17 and my nan bought it for me hehe, poor women had no idea i was readin' that....hmmm...in the very end when what's his face picked up the knife after jenny was murdered what was he going to do? kill himself?...i mean that's the first thing u think of but when u think about it harder u can confuse u'rself...trust me..it happens to the best of us...unfortantly many many times in this case, butcha know just tell me what ya think.
Annie3247
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: Snoopygal3247
AOL: Annie3247

Return to “%s” Philip Pullman Discussion