The Republic of Heaven

TBOD: What will follow The Book Of Dust?

Discuss general topics related to the series

Postby Tomsy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:52 pm

Dæmon wrote:Anyway; does anyone think that there is a likelihood that after all the actual HDM books written by Pullman have been written/released, that any publisher would be prepared to release decent fanfics in a book similar, say to TBOD?

No.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Darragh » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:03 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Darragh wrote:You really are so warm and welcoming to n00bs these days so you are. I remember you being quite nice to me...before you locked me in the dungeon with beefheart that is.

Dæmon has made the same number of posts that I made in my first six months, so he's hardly a n00b! And most of those 300+ posts have been pretty content-free after all.

It was a pretty stupid remark, wasn't it, about the mods/admins convention.

He's still a n00b in his actions and mentality which is what counts. Yes it was a pretty stupid remark, n00bish one might say. Your remark was fairly mean wasn't it?

:cute: *kops a feel*
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Melancholy Man » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:30 pm

I always see myself as standing on the edge, shouting "Fight! Fight! Fight!" but then trying to break it up because I feel guilty.

Unlike myself who shouts "Fight! Fight! Fight!", and then runs like buggery.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Rhovineth » Sun May 15, 2005 10:18 pm

I don't know if publishers release fanfics, but I think they should! That way those of us without the time to read lots of fanfics to see if they are any good could have our attention drawn to some of the "better" ones (better by somebody's definition at least) Also I hear that there are still some people out there without the Internet at home, and some who can't even surf when they should be working. If this rumour is true, then these people could do with access too.

I approve of fanfic in general and want to try my hand at it some day. It's getting back to the folk tradition of different people adding their own ideas and perspectives - the folk tradition gave us Greek mythology, etc., so it must be A Good Thing!
"Who are we? Where are we going? Who's coming with us? And are we taking sandwiches?" - Jack Dee (Comedian)
Rhovineth
Grazer

Postby Ian » Tue May 17, 2005 8:49 am

Rhovineth wrote: Also I hear that there are still some people out there without the Internet at home

Internet? *looks over shoulder in confused manner*

Finally someone who agrees. I feel that if there are some good fanfics out there, it's beyond belief that they could publish them. It has after all happened in publishing before. :)
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Raptor 1001 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:38 pm

How much do you want to bet PP will cave in to peer preassure and write a reunion story?
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.

--Rincewind, The Colour of Magic
Raptor 1001
Grazer

Postby aklebury » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:06 am

Ian wrote:I feel that if there are some good fanfics out there, it's beyond belief that they could publish them. It has after all happened in publishing before. :)

Not that i don't believe you but... when?
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Riali » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:29 am

The published fanfic that springs to mind for me is Return to the Secret Garden...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/sus ... garden.htm

Granted, this wasnt an internet story to begin with, and and Frances Hodgson Burnett was dead when it was published, but it's still one author publishing stories about another author's characters.

Johanna Spyri's translator did the same thing with Heidi, he wrote Heidi Grows Up and Heidi's Children.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu May 10, 2007 8:17 am

And aren't there collections of books set in the worlds of Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy etc that could be classed as fanfics?
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Thu May 10, 2007 9:21 am

Unlike fanfics, many if not most of the Star Wars stories are considered canon. I don't know about the others but I think they would be too.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sat May 12, 2007 2:12 am

In what sense? Sure, they're authorised by the original creators of Star Wars, but they're not written by George Lucas, are they?

I'm probably going to be smote down for saying this, but to me they always seemed more like merchandise tie-ins.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Ultracommando93 » Sat May 12, 2007 9:20 am

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:In what sense? Sure, they're authorised by the original creators of Star Wars, but they're not written by George Lucas, are they?

I'm probably going to be smote down for saying this, but to me they always seemed more like merchandise tie-ins.

I understand what you mean- a lot of star wars material out there is so separate from the original series (some is set 25 000 years beforehand) that it is only canon in the loosest sense of the word. It's just another way of making money on the franchise. Interesting point- although soem stories are set 25 000 years apart, the level of technology in both is roughly the same. What's with that?

As for HDM, I could see some fanfic being published. I think a lot of fans are going to want to see some sort of story with Will and Lyra together (something that won't happen in tBoD, or so wikipedia tells me he said). Whether or not it will happen is another matter.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby SoulLily » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 pm

Ian wrote:Anyway; does anyone think that there is a likelihood that after all the actual HDM books written by Pullman have been written/released, that any publisher would be prepared to release decent fanfics in a book similar, say to TBOD?

Doubtful. Extremely doubtful. Publishers won't release fanfics because they're like copyright infringement. PP has the rights to the characters, so publishers won't release stories about them that weren't written by PP himself.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Postby AryaAurora » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:08 am

I hope after TBOD hits bookstores Mr. Pullman will come out with another story unrelated to HDM. Then come out with more of our favourite epic.
AryaAurora
Grazer

Postby Lyra&Pan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:17 am

I think that after TBOD, PP will completely stop writting about HDM and stuff. But I hope he doesn't :(
Spiderpig,spiderpig. He does whatever a spiderpig does. Can he swing from his web ?No he can't, he's a pig. Look ouuuut, look ouuuut...He's the Spiderpig !!
~ The Simpsons movie
Lyra&Pan
Witch

Yahoo Messenger: efskolyvas@yahoo.gr

Postby p@trik byrnison » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:44 pm

there is a little blue book coming out with the tales of lee scoresby and iorek byrnison and how they met etc. i cant remember the name tho sorry :? :cry:

dogs have owners, cats have staff
p@trik byrnison
Grazer

Postby Cookiemonster » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:50 pm

p@trik byrnison wrote:there is a little blue book coming out with the tales of lee scoresby and iorek byrnison and how they met etc. i cant remember the name tho sorry :? :cry:

dogs have owners, cats have staff

Try looking in the subforum directly above this one

Also, it would be appreciated if you would write in proper english, as is requested in the Forum Guide. The correct spelling of 'tho' is 'though', for example.

I assume your line about dogs and cats is meant to be a signature, by the way? You can do that by going into your profile settings and changing it in there.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Postby p@trik byrnison » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:41 pm

once apon atime in the north was the title of the up and coming little blue book :roll:

-----

I am real sorry about the "tho" thing. I usually use the spell check but i guess i forgot. It wont happen again.

Mod edit: Don't worry about it, at least you know now. However, please don't double post :P
p@trik byrnison
Grazer

Re: What will follow The Book Of Dust?

Postby Alex-Giovanni » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:59 pm

I hope Philip Pullman writes a book about the future where Will and Lyra bump into each other somewhere and go on another adventure etc. I really want HDM to carry on longer than TBOD and the green book about Will.
Alex-Giovanni
Grazer

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk