The Republic of Heaven

News on The Book Of Dust

Discuss general topics related to the series

News on The Book Of Dust

Postby Watcher » Mon May 30, 2005 8:16 pm

I went to see Philip Pullman talking today and I asked this question

How is the work going on The Book of Dust?

And he answered something to this extent

Slowly because of the work on "The Scarecrow and His Servant" but after this I am going to go home and lock my self in my room to write it, well that’s the plan anyway.

Note: My quote isn't exact and anyone who was there as well please feel free to correct the small errors in the quote.
Watcher
Grazer

Postby Will » Mon May 30, 2005 9:04 pm

Does he have some sort of button on him that makes him say that? That's all he's said for the last ooh, two years now.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Mahdi Sarfa » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:28 am

It's a rather sad (and aggravating) state of affairs. He says he'll focus on writing the Book of Dust and we wait months for him to tell us more. But again he says the same thing. I agree with Will, he's just repeating . . I wonder if he's even started on it.

I'm very interesting in learning some prehistory of His Dark Materials. In fact, Pullman could write a book of HDM pudding recipes and I'd read it. But does anyone get the feeling that the Book of Dust is digressing?

~ Sarfa
Here lies a toppled god--
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and tall one.

~ Dune Messiah
Mahdi Sarfa
Grazer

Postby SoulLily » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:43 pm

I'm just waiting on 2009. Supposedly that's when the book will be coming out, but you never can tell.
I'm trying my hand at writing fantasy as well, and it does take a lot of time and effort to get something decent done, so I can kinda see why books keep getting delayed. I just hope this one doesn't, because I will have to scream if it comes out later than it's supposed to; it's already 2 years into the future and I'm impatient enough as is.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:31 am

I've been waiting 6 years for the final book in Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn series. Each year, rumours fly around that she's written it, and it will be coming out in August. Then August rolls around, and no book. I think she doesn't know how to finish it, and I think the same is true for Pullman and TBOD.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:26 am

That series hasn't finished? I thought The Keeping Place was a fine ending, but OK. Let's wait for August. :P
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:33 am

No, she needs to destroy the weaponmachines. The fifth book is going to be called 'The Sending', and she's then (according to Obernewtyn.net) going to start a series of prequels called 'The Beforetime Chronicles'. Apparently. I'm skeptical.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Ultracommando93 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:56 am

What is this "Obernewtyn" series of which you speak? I've heard some references to it before. Is it any good?
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:00 am

It's quite girly fantasy. If you're looking for lots of explosions - which you seem to be - then you'll probably be disappointed. It's about a bunch of mutant humans who have special powers and are hunted down by the authorities. They're kind of like a resistance group of peace-loving hippies. It's incredibly idealistic, and seemed like the Bible when I was an angsty teenager who thought the world was doomed. I did not realise she'd basically ripped off X-Men a whole lot.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Ultracommando93 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 am

I must admit I'm ont that much of a supernatural sort of person, although I do look for more than just explosions. I was never for mixing technology and supernatural (the fact that HDM did and I still liked it shows you just how good a series it is).

Thanks for your info.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby Somewhat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:20 am

In her defence though, it's written well and is, ignoring X-men rip-offs, quite original.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:07 am

Yes. I really liked it, which is why I still care, 6 years on, about knowing what happened. The first book was written in 1989, which means there's a whole generation of fans who have grown up with the books. The series is almost as old as I am!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

dogs have owners, cats have staff

Postby p@trik byrnison » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Im a new comer and am also tirelessly waiting for the book of dust......... but im currently writting a fantasy series myself and my head is always exploding with new ideas, i understamd that pullman is probly thinking up new things every week and changing old ideas so it could be a while before his head is empty and he feels satisfied :)
p@trik byrnison
Grazer

Postby adidas012 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:45 pm

wow, well anyway i can't wait for the book its gonna be totally awesome

Mod edit: spelling.
adidas012
Grazer

Postby Bellatrizza » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:22 am

I'm really excited about the Book of Dust too. I hope Pullman continues to use actual scientific theories in his writing! By the way, does anyone know if the Book of Dust will be fiction, or if it will just kind of explain Dust?
Bellatrizza
Grazer

Postby adidas012 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 pm

that's pretty cool that you're making a series. i'm actually doing something sort of like how he wrote lyra's oxford, but a different story line about will's life after breaking the knife :D
adidas012
Grazer

Postby nat_could_tell_u » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 pm

i read that it is going to be many stories put together. its going to tell different things like how lee scoresby and iorek byrnison met, how farder coram and serafina pekkala fall in love, will after breaking knife. Lyra's Oxford was also supposed to be in the book of dust, but PP took it out. Can't wait for it!!! :D

__Person__

~Name: EKAVI
~ Info: Female, Creative, Practiced Lier. Always has to have the last word.

__Daemon__
~Name: Nathanielaimon
~Info:Male, Settled as Darwin's Fox, also Creative, also Practiced Lier. Thinks before he acts.
nat_could_tell_u
Grazer

Location: somewhere in the universe, or at least in this one... with, of coarse, my daemon

Postby jessia » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:36 am

http://www.bridgetothestars.net/news/au ... il-in-him/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... man130.xml
telegraph wrote:- he is writing a prequel to the trilogy which is expected in 2009 -
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Will » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 am

2009 ? :(
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby jessia » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:47 am

the little blue book comes out in 2008. i feel like it was ready for 2007 but they delayed it to space out releases. also, if TSK won't be ready for christmas season 2008, it means TBOD will be released around the same time as TSK and they'll be jointly publicised.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk