The Republic of Heaven

M: Energy's re-cut ending of The Golden Compass

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: Finally, the truth : New Line did recut the movie.

Postby Energy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 am

sfsraffie wrote:And where do you find all this stuff?! :)

That'd be telling - but it can take a day of hunting and result in only a second of new footage or a picture. Still can be very rewarding though. :)

------------

Just to get that point across - found a few new shots this morning. One from the retiring room with scholars talking and one from the end with Lyra discovering that Roger has been kidnapped - while we already have this shot, the version found is at a later stage so the quality is better, plus it's longer, giving a better feel.

I will be listing all my multiple sources once the new ending video is up...
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
Roar! Why should I help some little girl? Roar!
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: LinkinEnergy

Postby Harmony » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm working right now on getting those images to you energy, All of them will be on dropbox by thursday night (gmt) :)
Harmony
Grazer

Postby Energy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Harmony wrote:I'm working right now on getting those images to you energy, All of them will be on dropbox by thursday night (gmt) :)

Thanks man - that's perfect. Will throw a few more images for you to have a look at. Got a pretty clear weekend ahead, and really loving the quality of the new edited together footage.

On a side note -woo passed my driving test today! :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Energy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Just posted this on http://www.northern-lights-fanedit.com

I just found some new shots that really just made my hair stand on end. This is what keeps holding me back from putting up a new video - in the past 24 hours I've found 3 clips that would add a lot to the movie. All 3 are only short... and 2 involve the ending. One of them is iconic.

To some degree I want to upload them all now, but for now I'll tease with this image of one of the shots. Spoiler'd away so if you want it as a big suprise...

Spoiler:
Stelmeria attacking Roger's daemon Salcilia

I've almost run out of research resources - once done a final edit will be unvieled. Keep an eye out Christmas time. :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby sfsraffie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Cool!

I'm now convinced, BTW, that the ending footage was just about if not totally complete... :roll:
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Energy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:20 pm

sfsraffie wrote:Cool!

I'm now convinced, BTW, that the ending footage was just about if not totally complete... :roll:

Strangely I've found both evidence for this and against this. All will soon be revealed. :)
I've set a deadline of Christmas but I've found so much I want to share over the past few weeks. Found a new shot today too. Not from the ending tho...
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Balthamos » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Exciting news! Could be the perfect Christmas gift... ;)
Balthamos
Grazer

Postby Energy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Balthamos wrote:Exciting news! Could be the perfect Christmas gift... ;)

Thats the idea... almost at the stage when I can finalise the edit. Found a few more stills that I can incorprate. Found a wonderful matte painting that helps a lot... there will obviously still be a few bits from the storyboard - but there will be a lot more images and clips. Some which are slightly extended, case in point the shot from the trailer of the golden monkey and pan fighting - I've now got that clip slightly longer from a non-trailer source. Makes things better :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Michael555 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Did you get a hold of anymore of that scene between Lyra and Mrs. Coulter, where Lyra yells "I'm not yours, I'll NEVER be yours"?
Michael555
Gyptian

Postby Energy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Michael555 wrote:Did you get a hold of anymore of that scene between Lyra and Mrs. Coulter, where Lyra yells "I'm not yours, I'll NEVER be yours"?

Trying to remember - nothing of any real significance. I've got a longer shot of the Golden Monkey and Pan fighting, may have an image or two, but not sure.

Getting very much into the editing and I'm really happy with what I have so far... Christmas launch is a cert! ^_^
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby kaoshoneybun » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Oooo, i'm SOOO excited, can't wait to see the new video!!!
Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Postby Energy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm

kaoshoneybun wrote:Oooo, i'm SOOO excited, can't wait to see the new video!!!

It's coming...
I was hoping to put something up yesterday as a teaser (considering yesterday was the movie's birthday!) but I think something will go up tomorrow instead, the movie's US birthday... :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby sfsraffie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 am

Speaking of which, production on this project is taking about as long as the movie itself did! :P :wink:
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby AlexSP » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 am

this is worse than duke nukem forever.
There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby Energy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:58 am

AlexSP wrote:this is worse than duke nukem forever.

I think you're confusing a game that took over 10 years of them spending their working day making something, with someone who has had to research and edit for the past two years in the little free time he has. As you can see I have clips and images beyond what most people believe exist in public. Also don't forget I'm working on the entire film, rebuilding scenes from clips with no audio- in some cases even attempting to do the greenscreen work and rotoscoping.

If you feel it's taken too long- go ahead and work on it yourself and see what you can find.
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby sfsraffie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:37 am

I'd just like to clarify that I'm not at all criticizing, just joshing a wee bit, and am grateful for all your hard work. ;) :)
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Energy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:31 am

sfsraffie wrote:I'd just like to clarify that I'm not at all criticizing, just joshing a wee bit, and am grateful for all your hard work. ;) :)

Strangely enough, as someone who gets involved with making games (I have a Msc in advanced Games Computing - and yes a Northern Lights RPG fan game has been in my mind since I was around 11... lol) I actually only took offence by the Duke Nukem comment... lol. And tbh in a normal time I wouldn't have taken any offence but due to something that upset this morning (it has been a tough one so far!) I was feeling a bit riled up before even looking.

I do know this has taken forever, and I really wish I could dedicate more time but this project is something that I'm hoping fans will treasure and I want it to be an as perfect-as-can-be version of the ending scene using the materials I have. I will once again be stressing that all the materials used in my ending scene are offical.

As a little teaser, and a celebration of the anniversary of the movie's release... here is some preproduction art that did not make the cut of my edit. While researching the actual bridge I came across a series of preproduction art showing concepts for the 'bridge to the stars'. This is one of the concepts that didn't make it, and while I can understand why it didn't make it, I do think it's quite beautiful and needs to be out there...

It's called Cosmic Tree

Spoiler:
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Haku » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:21 pm

This cosmic tree almost looks like a Christmas tree for sraffies :D
Thanks so much for sharing this wonder.

*goes and watches again preprod-movie, sad*
Aims at all the nonchalence proper to a prince of the air.
Since over 10 years, The Book of Dust will be published in 2 years.
Haku
Gyptian

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 pm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7147976/beforeandafter.png

Just an example of some of the work i've been contributing to Energy's Project :D
Harmony
Grazer

Postby Michael555 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:50 pm

I cannot wait for this! :D
Michael555
Gyptian

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations