The Republic of Heaven

A: Radio Play: Memorable Quotes

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Postby Tristan » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:21 am

It's been archived on the site, and the BBC will be selling it on CD/cassette.
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby AlexSP » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:30 am

Yeah, I just saw the links in another thread. I should have investigated more before going mental. I'm on a modem, so it was tough streaming it, but I got through a bit of it before switching it off. I don't quite like it. Lyra sounds like Malfoy in the way she spits out each line, and Asriel sounds too mechanical -- like he's really reading the lines instead of feeling them. Of course they couldn't sound like they do in my head ... so maybe I'm just not a radio-play person. This doesn't bode well for any movies, though.
There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby Alice » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:42 am

i agree about Asriel actually although generally i thought it was really good. What I'm wondering is how are they going to do Mary and the mulefa when they get to it? Don't know if anyone's posted this yet but I thought it was so funny i made it my signature:
Does it matter if it's self-raising?
Alice
Grazer

Postby rhapsody » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:21 pm

from the 2nd one-----

"my nickname's blonde ambition" [guy in Will's house]
"bbburp- ooh! i didnt know it would do that!" [Lyra]
"
enigmatic
rhapsody
Grazer

Postby Justine » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:38 pm

"Its safe as toast"- Mrs. Parry
*hug* i love you!
Justine
Angel

AOL: bluiswitedragon6

Postby rhapsody » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:40 pm

"looks like rubbery coal" Will
enigmatic
rhapsody
Grazer

Postby Townie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:49 am

Asriel: Who is this!?
Lyra: Roger Parslow...he's my friend - not that you're really interested - Goodbye!
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby hdm rulz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:17 pm

'Where are we' Pan
'Welcome to Svalbard Pan' Lyra
hdm rulz
Grazer

Postby DutchCrunch » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:37 pm

Did you notice that was an extremely old thread? Please read the Ten Commandments (they are posted everywhere).
Why are you everywhere? And never doing things right?
Anyhow, again: read the commandments (link in the Newbie forum), post sensible posts in English and don't be bumping extremely old threads.
DutchCrunch
Witch

Postby ladygreenie » Mon May 08, 2006 12:04 pm

*LOL* These are great! I'll have to find a way to listen to these after I'm done with the audiobooks... (Yes, I admit it. I'm addicted to HDM.) :)

~Lady Greenie~
ladygreenie
Grazer

Postby Ian » Mon May 08, 2006 12:27 pm

The radio play is available fairly cheap most places. The library might have it if you look. I wouldn't keep your hopes too high however, the quality of the plays is, frankly, poor, to say the least. I gave up half way through TSK, feeling that life was too short to listen to such rubbish. You might feel different of course...

If you can't find it anywhere, and you turn out to be a good and nice and regular poster, then I might consider putting my copies on MP3 CD or DVD for you... :)
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby furbaby » Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 pm

DutchCrunch wrote:Did you notice that was an extremely old thread? Please read the Ten Commandments .......don't be bumping extremely old threads.

A classic example of rules for the sake of rules.

This is the kind of thread which people should be free to add to at any time, as long as they do not repeat something already quoted. :lecture:
furbaby
Angel

Postby Enitharmon » Mon May 08, 2006 1:51 pm

Ian wrote:The radio play is available fairly cheap most places. The library might have it if you look. I wouldn't keep your hopes too high however, the quality of the plays is, frankly, poor, to say the least. I gave up half way through TSK, feeling that life was too short to listen to such rubbish. You might feel different of course...

Of course I'll feel different! The radio plays - TSK specifically - were my first exposure to HDM and the main reason why I went and bought the set and read it four times in the ensuing nine months.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Kyrillion » Mon May 08, 2006 5:38 pm

Really? I quite enjoyed the plays but in the same way I enjoy pretty much anything connected with a thing I like, even if it's bad, or even derogatory. That's why I can enjoy even bad adaptations - the original's there for me to enjoy, the adaptation is just like listening to/watching something a bit similar. Or something.

But anayway, I do remember feeling that no one who didn;t already like HDM could possibly think much of them from the radio plays. I imagined R4 listeners raising their eyebrows at the apparent low quality of this story that had become so popular. I imagined myself hearing them uninitiated and think, 'But they're no better than Harry Potter!'.

Maybe they were better than I thought. In any case, well done for seeing past the worse elements of the plays...
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Re: Radio Play: Memorable Quotes

Postby AlexSP » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:40 pm

listening to books is like braille reading music. just a terrible, complete loss
There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby jessia » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:35 am

you haven't heard the audiobooks narrated by pullman then alex. listening to a book is the same as listening to a story being read...

p.s. stick to one account, you're technically playing sock puppet.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby tyche » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Sorry to post in an old topic. Just listened to TAS radio play, it was comedy gold.

Lee Scoresby‘s ghost: It’s good to do a bit of hand to hand combat. Even if we’re both lacking hands. Yeeehaw!

Mary: My treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! *crash*

Mary: Can you see Dust?
Serafina: No. Until the wars began I’d never even heard of it.
Mary: I made an amber spyglass!

Lyra: Pan are you fixed now? Is this what you will always be?
Pan: Yes. I’m a pine martin!

No Name: YOU are ALIEEEEEEEEVE?

No Name: YOU’RE. OFFERING. TO. TELL. ME. A. STORYEEEEEEEEEEE? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations