The Republic of Heaven

A: Any of you listened to HDM on CD or tape?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Postby kulang » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 am

I bought all the books on cd a couple of weeks back, then crammed them all on my iPod. I haven't listened to anything else since. Whenever I can, I lie down and listen. The best voices are Lyra and Lord Asriel, and Phillip Pullman narrates excellently. But the very best of them all (even though she doesn't say very much in the books) is Hester - if you listen then you'll understand.
kulang
Grazer

Postby daemon_light » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:25 am

I put Subtle Knife on my iPod two weeks back for practicing purposes... :wink:

But I really like the Will and Lyra in the audio... they interacted very well. :)
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Re: Any of you listened to HDM on CD or tape?

Postby Yrael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:24 am

I totally agree, i thought they were great, Lyra struggled a bit in TASG with the emotional scenes, but oh well.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby HDM Head 24-7 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:23 pm

I loved them as well...only thing i did not like was the changing of pan and will...they were fine at the start and i didnt think the replacments were as good. Now i'd like to find the BBC radio ones and try those...

P.s. What happened to the spell check button lol...
Into this wild abyss, The womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire, But all these in their pregnant causes mixed Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, Unless the almighty maker them ordain His dark materials to create more worlds, Into this wild abyss the wary fiend Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, Pondering his voyage...John Milton-Paradise Lost-Book 2
HDM Head 24-7
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: bigforyou85
AOL: svq2

Postby Stelmaria7 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 pm

They are great on CD. All the actors are really great accept for the bear parts. They should stick to humans. Anyway I still have to get TAS and TSK from the library. why did they change will and pan?
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby jasman71 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Well I bought the cheaper verion, the unabridged one from Amazon last week and have listened to it. Ok, it is not too bad, but of course I found out after I had received it that there is the cover to cover version also for sale via this site. Typical!! Me and my luck! And it is not cheap, at over £150, but I guess the question will be how long I can resist the need to have them!! (not long I dare say..)

As I say, the shorter version is good, but not outstanding in the way of the BBC productions of Lord of the Rings, and the Hitchiker's Guide.. If you have the funds and the chance people, go for the full one :)
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby kaoshoneybun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 pm

I had the radio version I beleive...made the mistake of listening to them on a long, heavily-pregnant-insomniac night...fell asleep & woke up thinking world war three was starting coz the volume of the great battle was so tremendous!

What I really want are the unabridged ones read by Pullman himself!

Jasman71: nice to see another HHGG fan around!
Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Postby jasman71 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:11 pm

kaoshoneybun wrote:I had the radio version I beleive...made the mistake of listening to them on a long, heavily-pregnant-insomniac night...fell asleep & woke up thinking world war three was starting coz the volume of the great battle was so tremendous!

What I really want are the unabridged ones read by Pullman himself!

Jasman71: nice to see another HHGG fan around!

Why thankyou! Likewise!

I have those nights too...err, not quite pregnant though :)

I long for those unabridged ones too! I have found them on Amazon.co.uk. but the price is right up there!
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby Stelmaria7 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I found the unabridged ones at the public library. I cant stand the person that plays Will. But i like the voice of Hester and Lee they sound good together. The person that does Hester kind of sounds like Lee in a way (that sounds wrong)
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations