The Republic of Heaven

A: Any of you listened to HDM on CD or tape?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

A: Any of you listened to HDM on CD or tape?

Postby Silvertounge » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:10 pm

i know there used to be a post that was something like this, but i can't find it so i'm doing a new one..
well, i just read the whole trilogy and lyra's oxford for the second time, in about a week. I listened too (and read) The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass on CD and i read the other two.. I had heard somewhere on here that if you already read the books then you should definitely listen to them on CD, so i did it, and it was awesome. i'd been wanting to read them again for a long time so i finally did it.. but anyways, have any of you ever listened to them? or how many times have you read the books before?
Silvertounge
Gyptian

Postby jessia » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:34 pm

i've listened to all the audiobooks, not in order unfortunately, borrowed from the library. for some reason, the wait list for the amber spyglass audio was shorter than the print, so i took that out. i took out the first two books on audio some time later. i loved them. it's proper storytelling when it's done out loud, even if it takes more than a day in total to listen to them all.

i've read them far too many times to count.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby zemarl » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:49 pm

i've listened to them! many hours of sitting on the floor drawing, and tony makarios made his way into my sketchbook (i call it a sketchbook but it's really a big folder of stuff on loose paper, the better to work with), along with some pictures of will and lyra. i dunno how many times i've read the golden compass and the amber spyglass, but the subtle knife i've only read three times, i think, because it's hard to find.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Ferdinand » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:57 am

Someone please explain to me why audio books are so good. I've never listened to one, and I can't imagine what they would be like, but reading this is making me want to go pick up a copy of the CD, or tapes... but tapes are old and clunky. Oh, and if anyone in Canda knows where to get them, because honestly audio books aren't all that popular here, kinda hard to find.
I've got your nose Mr. Anderson, and I'm going to keep it.
Ferdinand
Grazer

Postby jessia » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:06 am

why are audiobooks so good?

imagine having a story read to you... by a person. and then on top of that, philip pullman narrates, and there's a full cast and everything, so it makes it quite awesome.

stirs the imagination and such.

Ferdinand wrote:Oh, and if anyone in Canda knows where to get them, because honestly audio books aren't all that popular here, kinda hard to find.

amazon.ca or your local public library (or within the library system, they'll ship it around).. unless of course you live in the middle of nowhere, but i got mine from the toronto public library.

i don't often see them for sale though. besides, hdm isn't incredibly incredibly popular here (though there was an article in the globe & mail last week).

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Ferdinand » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:28 am

Yeah HDM is pretty hard to find here... but there isn't much of a literature fanbase in Winnipeg anyway. I guess the library will have to do.

You know, contrary to popular belief, Winnipeg isn't the middle of nowhere, it's the middle of friggin north america. But still... we suck.
I've got your nose Mr. Anderson, and I'm going to keep it.
Ferdinand
Grazer

Postby jessia » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:39 am

"friendly manitoba"

but winnipeg's a (albeit small) city. the library system should be big enough that even if they don't have copies of the audiobooks, they might be able to order them.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby zemarl » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:07 pm

Ferdinand wrote:Yeah HDM is pretty hard to find here... but there isn't much of a literature fanbase in Winnipeg anyway. I guess the library will have to do.

You know, contrary to popular belief, Winnipeg isn't the middle of nowhere, it's the middle of friggin north america. But still... we suck.

it is TOO the middle of nowhere! you're a winterpegger?
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Postby Silvertounge » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:11 am

Ferdinand wrote:Someone please explain to me why audio books are so good. I've never listened to one, and I can't imagine what they would be like, but reading this is making me want to go pick up a copy of the CD, or tapes... but tapes are old and clunky. Oh, and if anyone in Canda knows where to get them, because honestly audio books aren't all that popular here, kinda hard to find.

well.. (first let me comment on how stupid i am for not first posting this in the audio section :roll: ) The reason the audio books are so goods is because you actually get to hear the people talking.. before i listened to them i never really thought they would be so good, i mean the last time i actually listened to an audio book was um.. 4th or 5th grade.. But i finally listened to everyone who said they were awesome and of course they were! I liked them because i finally was able to put voices behind the characters. it was also good because i realized i was actually pronouncing things differently then they were supposed to be. Not to mention the music and sound effects, particularly those in TAS.. those were cool
Silvertounge
Gyptian

Postby Raeth » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:13 pm

I have all three books on MP3 CD (fortunately my discman handles MP3).
It's great, though I can't stand Will and Iorek's voices. Iorek speaks with a growl in my mind.
Raeth
Raeth
Zalif

Postby zemarl » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Raeth wrote:It's great, though I can't stand Will and Iorek's voices. Iorek speaks with a growl in my mind.
i have a quarrel with iorek's voice on the tapes as well... he sounds nasal or something. :? iorek is supposed to have this deep voice, i'd imagine more powerful than what they seem to have settled for, something roaring instead of just bullfrog low.
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Postby jessia » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:44 pm

i'm listening to the subtle knife right now and will's voice is so annoying here. i'm glad they found a different actor for the amber spyglass. i have no qualms <sp> with iorek though... i can hear enough of a growl, but i i admit it does sound awkward. the same actor plays lord asriel, and he sounds more appropriate there.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:46 pm

I have listened to the audiobooks more times than I have actually read the books. I listen to them at night as I am falling asleep. Except it doesn't work. They are so good that I never fall asleep, and I am seen the next day, with bags under my eyes, muttering about the cruelty of intercision.

*I am crazy*
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Tomsy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:03 pm

Dæmon wrote:I have listened to the audiobooks more times than I have actually read the books. I listen to them at night as I am falling asleep. Except it doesn't work. They are so good that I never fall asleep, and I am seen the next day, with bags under my eyes, muttering about the cruelty of intercision.

*I am crazy*

Aye, I know several people who do that, myself included. I think it must be to replicate the feeling of being read to as a young child.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby gullifer » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:12 pm

abc wrote:
Dæmon wrote:I have listened to the audiobooks more times than I have actually read the books. I listen to them at night as I am falling asleep. Except it doesn't work. They are so good that I never fall asleep, and I am seen the next day, with bags under my eyes, muttering about the cruelty of intercision.

*I am crazy*

Aye, I know several people who do that, myself included. I think it must be to replicate the feeling of being read to as a young child.

My first experience of HDM was having it read to me (or at least, reading it half and half) by my mother, in about 1995. Gosh.
gullifer
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:31 pm

Being read to, or listening to the audiobooks is a totally different experience to reading the books. You say 1995? Do you have a first edition?

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Wicked_Fabala » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:06 am

ive only read TGC and the rest iv listened to ive checked TAS out from my library like a million times and ive listene d ot TGC and TSK a lil less than TAS. (i like the full cast part of the Audio books)
"Feels like my touch only brings back the pain."
Wicked_Fabala
Zalif

CoverToCover BBC adaptation

Postby Cittagazze1 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:19 am

Hey all!

I have read the books a good few times since I was 14. I bought the HDM CD Boxset last year but I never listened to them until now.

Did anyone else notice that there is material missing from the Northern Lights CD's? At the end of CD 5 Chapter 12: 'The Lost Boy', Lyra has left for the village with Iorek to investigate the lost boy. Iorek notices witches circling above them... The CD ends here... I put in CD 6 and notice that most of the next chapter (Fencing) has been left out. The first lines on CD6 should be Lyra saying, "Are they birds?" (P175 in the trilogy edition), instead it takes off from the last paragraph of P189 (near the end of Ch.13 Fencing).

I have searched the internet to see if anyone else noticed but found nothing. So much for, "Nothing altered, nothing taken out" LOL!

Please check this and let me know what you find...

Thanks!
Cittagazze1
Grazer

Postby Ian » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:48 pm

My audiotapes have the lot included. Probably an issue with your CDs, as the whole thing was recorded.

Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Cittagazze1 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi Ian

Do you have the CoverToCover BBC recordings? They were recorded in 2000. I know it's not a technical fault with the CD's as CD5 plays for almost 80 minutes.

Does anyone else have the CoverToCover recording of Northern Lights from the HDM Boxset (the one that costs £79.99 on Play dot com) and can you confirm that there is about 14 pages missing?

I don't know who to inform over this issue as there does not seem to be a website for this publication.

Thanks
Cittagazze1
Grazer

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations