The Republic of Heaven

M: what about an animated His Dark Materials?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: what about an animated His Dark Materials?

Postby sfsraffie » Wed May 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Quinch wrote:Having seen Steam Boy for example, I can’t see why not….I mean, Steam Boy just about looks like it was “filmed” in the same country as Lyras!

My impression is that many, if not most of us, thought Lyra's world was too flashy in the movie. (Scoresby's balloon sure doesn't rely on winds and towing witches!) It would have been cheaper for the studio to do something more old-fashioned and in line with Pullman's vision, but they clearly wanted to max out on the eye candy. So I'm afraid I can't agree that animation would be a plus in the atmospherics department, let alone the character performances.

I still vote for green-screened live action as a last resort for this cast. Otherwise, how about a non-neutered, long-as-it-needs filmed miniseries on HBO in a decades or two...
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Re: what about an animated His Dark Materials?

Postby Kyrillion » Sun May 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Undestined wrote:Actually, Disney is trying to revive 2-D animation (there's a thread about it around here somewhere). Just like painting didn't go out of style when cameras came out, no art form is ever gone forever. Frankly, I think people are getting a bit sick of all 3-D animation, all the time. Yes, "Toy Story" was cool (oh my gosh, they used computers!) but there's something to be said for classic animation.

I never said 2D animation is a lost artform! If you'll read my post you'll notice I'm studying to be a 2D animator so I would hardly be one to say there's no future for the techniques.

Yes, it's true that Disney have reopened a 2D studio and are working on at least one new film (I've only heard about The Frog Princess, but traditionally Disney have worked on more than one feature at a time).

I'm also with you in hoping that the novelty of 3D animation is wearing off audiences now and that presently there'll be a market for 2D features for cinema release again (western ones that is - I think people don't really assosiate anime with Disney so the popularity of that wasn't affected by the failing fortunes of Western stuff). For one thing I'd love to see big, gorgeous 2D animated films again - for another I rather hope to be employed in this field one day!

I'm just pointing out that any 2D adaptation is pretty unlikely right now, and it's naive to expect the 2D animation industry to build itself back to full strength. Disney tentatively reopening a studio is hardly a full-scale comeback and I don't the industry will ever be half as big as it has been. And even in the 'golden age' of animation, I can't imagine any studio taking on the risk that is HDM. Animated films of any sort are horribly expensive to make. Studios have usually played it very, very safe. HDM is controversial in subject matter and appeals to an older age-range than is Western animation's demographic. Sure, it could happen and I would love to see it, but it's just not likely.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations