The Republic of Heaven

M: What kind of boy do you want to play Will in the films?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: What kind of boy do you want to play Will in the films?

Postby Ayanna » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:28 pm

I know but I still find his whole short life a sad tale, I was 9 when he died, I remember it well. Of course at that age I knew him mostly from Indy 3 and Stand By Me, but indeed, in looks and character he would've been perfect. He has that edge that Will NEEDS to have if he's going to appear on film. I'm scared they'll pick someone like they chose for Pan, for Pan it's fine of course, but that kid would never suit as Will, he looks too goody goody, he doesn't have the strong egy look that Will should have.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Ayanna
Zalif

Postby daemon_light » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:38 am

Dan wrote:Hate to Be that Guy but non of you honestly look the part for what the media and (WB) will want

hmmmm.... I like how you act like you KNOW what they want. :?

Ayanna wrote: I'm scared they'll pick someone like they chose for Pan, for Pan it's fine of course, but that kid would never suit as Will, he looks too goody goody, he doesn't have the strong egy look that Will should have.

You're totally right... If Freddy Highmore (or anyone such of the likes) were chosen as Will, I'd be very upset. I honestly hope that they choose a fifteen or sixteen year-old actor so they're able to more effectively capture the compelling maturity his character has. (Not to say that all 15-16 year-olds are mature... :roll: but you get my point. )
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:13 am

daemon_light wrote:(Not to say that all 15-16 year-olds are mature... :roll: but you get my point. )

Yup, he's right. Plenty of people like that down in my part of the world, and theres plenty more elsewhere.

So do you think it's going to be an unknown playing Will or smeone whos already made a big debut?

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby L and M » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:13 pm

I would hope it was a unknown, for clear reasons. But it may well be a actor whom has all ready debuted.
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby Matty/Will i am » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi I am Matthew

I am from London and I have read the Phillip Pullman books many times in the last couple of years. I always liked the character of Lyra in the Northern Lights and then when he invented Will I always imagined me being the character. I don't want to sit here and say to you that I am the Will he wrote about, but all I am saying is that I know the character inside out. I would be able to fill the role of him as it would feel right. However I have some issues, I turn sixteen on Saturday and I am a litle tall. I really think that the connection between me and Dakota would work, however I really doubt this will happen. :shifty:
Matty/Will i am
Grazer

Postby Philharmonic » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Matty/Will i am wrote:
if only... wrote:
daemon_light wrote:(Not to say that all 15-16 year-olds are mature... :roll: but you get my point. )

Yup, he's right. Plenty of people like that down in my part of the world, and theres plenty more elsewhere.

So do you think it's going to be an unknown playing Will or smeone whos already made a big debut?

Do you actualy think that he should be this age? Coz i do

(in s.b.c. style) err, no, i think will should look older than lyra-but not by too much. like maybe a little taller or something.

Matty/Will i am wrote:Hi I am Matthew

I am from London and I have read the Phillip Pullman books many times in the last couple of years. I always liked the character of Lyra in the Northern Lights and then when he invented Will I always imagined me being the character. I don't want to sit here and say to you that I am the Will he wrote about, but all I am saying is that I know the character inside out. I would be able to fill the role of him as it would feel right. However I have some issues, I turn sixteen on Saturday and I am a litle tall. I really think that the connection between me and Dakota would work, however I really doubt this will happen. :shifty:

That should go into the newbie welcome board. But anyway, hi.

I really think that the connection between me and Dakota would work, however I really doubt this will happen. :shifty:

So do I. well, aside from the fact that I, along with several other people (well, probably) would inadvertantly mock her somewhat odd name at every possible opportunity.

They must have been playing Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now' in the maternity unit at the time.

Philharmonic
Angel

Postby daemon_light » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:47 pm

if only... wrote:(in s.b.c. style) err, no, i think will should look older than lyra-but not by too much. like maybe a little taller or something.

DBR is 14 now, remember? Now the actor is going to have to be at least that or older to really look older. So I wouldn't be surprised if it were a 15 year-old who got the part.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Philharmonic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:35 am

Is that true or is it just because you're fifteen?

And I don't think the actor can look TOO much older-not like he looks so old people who haven't read the books might be afraid that there might be a little paedophilia going on.

Philharmonic
Angel

Postby Matty/Will i am » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:54 am

I am 16 on Saturday and I am quite tall. What am I going to do. I would put a picture up 4 u but I wouldn't want to face the embarresment.
Matty/Will i am
Grazer

Postby Mockingbird » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Matty/Will i am wrote:I would put a picture up 4 u but I wouldn't want to face the embarresment.

Then you may want to reconsider a career in film, matey.
Last edited by Mockingbird on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Philharmonic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Matty/Will i am wrote:I am 16 on Saturday and I am quite tall. What am I going to do. I would put a picture up 4 u but I wouldn't want to face the embarresment.

He showed me one. Whats wrong with posting one in Cam Wars? I dodn't want to, tbh, thats why in most of them I wear a box.

Philharmonic
Angel

Postby Matty/Will i am » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:49 pm

I no that its just I mean evry1 might say - no way u dont look like a Will

Mod translation (for those of you who don't read textspeak).

>>I know that, it's just I mean everyone might say - 'no way, you don't look like a Will'<<

Matty, you have been previously asked not to use textspeak.
Matty/Will i am
Grazer

Postby Philharmonic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:40 pm

I think you do-well, except the beard thing you got going on (he show me a pic on MSN)

Philharmonic
Angel

Postby daemon_light » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:26 am

if only... wrote:And I don't think the actor can look TOO much older

Is that true, or is it because you're 13? :wink:

But to answer you're question if only... that yes, I DO believe and hope that in the end they choose an older 15-16 year old Will for reasons I have already explained, and not purely because I'm 15. :roll:

I'm afraid that Matty, to give you the dull truth, you have little or no chance. Not to say that you don't look like Will or you are inept at acting, (both of which I wouldn't know), but I doubt that they'll look much at 16 year-olds who'll probably be almost 17 by filming.
But who knows! Maybe you look young for your age... again, I wouldn't know.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Philharmonic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:10 am

daemon_light wrote:
if only... wrote:And I don't think the actor can look TOO much older

Is that true, or is it because you're 13? :wink:

But to answer you're question if only... that yes, I DO believe and hope that in the end they choose an older 15-16 year old Will for reasons I have already explained, and not purely because I'm 15. :roll:

I'm afraid that Matty, to give you the dull truth, you have little or no chance. Not to say that you don't look like Will or you are inept at acting, (both of which I wouldn't know), but I doubt that they'll look much at 16 year-olds who'll probably be almost 17 by filming.
But who knows! Maybe you look young for your age... again, I wouldn't know.

I did my research.

Subtle Knife, just before Lyra asks whether Will is a friend or enemy, it says that Will looks 'only a little bit older than her'.

And if it was because I am 13, then I would have said will had to look younger. Which is absurd.

Philharmonic
Angel

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations