The Republic of Heaven

M: golden compass soundtrack

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: golden compass soundtrack

Postby franz_conrad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:13 pm

if only... wrote:
And Jablonsky is like Hans Zimmers right hand-and don't dis him he's good at his job!

To paraphrase George Orwell, do not admire a man for who builds a wall well if the wall surrounds a concentration camp.
franz_conrad
Zalif

Postby Philharmonic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:13 pm

what does that have to do with film composers? I respect engineers, nazi or not.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby franz_conrad » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 pm

One could admire someone for doing the job of imitating Hans Zimmer's least interesting music well, but I don't regard it as a job worth doing. Jablonsky is one of the more imitative voices to have emerged from that music factory. At least figures like John Powell have an element of uniqueness to their composition.
franz_conrad
Zalif

Postby artemis » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:28 pm

if only... wrote:And Jablonsky is like Hans Zimmers right hand-and don't dis him he's good at his job!

No he's not. Hans Zimmer can write some pretty awesome music, Gladiator worked, the Lion King is great; Transformers isn't, simple as, the melodies are just boring and uninspired.

Klaus Badelt is pretty good, John Powell is good, Harry Gregson-Williams is good. Steve Jablosnky isn't.
Golden Compass - Musical Accompaniment :P
Click on [www]
artemis
Grazer

Website: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=469259

Postby tato » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:53 pm

and about the cut ending, there is any music of it?i read some place that there is. it would be great hear some material from that!that music from the game video is from deslplat too?
tato
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Midnighttosix » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:04 pm

tato wrote:and about the cut ending, there is any music of it?i read some place that there is. it would be great hear some material from that!that music from the game video is from deslplat too?

I don't think so, the soundtrack is always recorded at the final stages of post-production, so something may have been composed but the ending would most likely have been cut before it could be recorded. The music in the videogame is not composed by Desplat but by Jamie Christopherson.
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby green ink » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Midnighttosix wrote:
tato wrote:and about the cut ending, there is any music of it?i read some place that there is. it would be great hear some material from that!that music from the game video is from deslplat too?

I don't think so, the soundtrack is always recorded at the final stages of post-production, so something may have been composed but the ending would most likely have been cut before it could be recorded. The music in the videogame is not composed by Desplat but by Jamie Christopherson.

Chances are that he did write music for the ending. I mean he'd already written a theme for Lee too.
Hopefully that director's cut we're all pining for might mean that Desplat does get a chance to record it after all.

As for Jablonsky, he might be capable of much more interesting music, but I imagine that's not what they ask of him. The problem of being a Zimmerboy is that that's all they probably see in him. Anyway, he could just go and do something more individual if he really wanted to. As it is, he's not so much the problem as the studios are, in wanting these generic LOUD scores.
Squirrel butts don't glow
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations