The Republic of Heaven

M: golden compass soundtrack

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: golden compass soundtrack

Postby locke33 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:47 pm

hello, i have been listening to the musical score in the trailers and i must say it is excellent, can any body give me information on who's composing the soundtrack and when it will be released?
locke33
Grazer

Postby Luca » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:47 pm

I have a feeling that the music in the trailer isn't entirely original, and has been borrowed from other scores at this early teaser stage.

There's been a thread about it I'm sure...

/vagueness
So tell me now, o tell me this: a forest’s son, a river’s daughter, a willow wand, a will-o-wisp.
Our ghosts will wander all of the water.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby Aeschylus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:55 am

Well i'm pretty sure they had music playing on one of the websites, either the movie one itself, or the game one i'm not sure which.
"I leave ye with a riddle.. ...I'm hard yet soft, I'm coloured yet clear... ...I'm fruity and sweet, I am jelly... ...What am I?"

"If you're frightened of dyin' and you're holding on...
You'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace,
Then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth."
Radiohead, Rabbit in your Headlights.

"And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder: One of the four beasts saying: "Come and see." And I saw. And behold, a white horse... And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him."
Johnny Cash, When the Man Comes Around.
Aeschylus
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: macayless@yahoo.co.nz

Postby Silverfist » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:49 pm

I just hope that it won't have a soundtrack with half the songs done only by a drum machine like they did in Narnia.
And God said:
"Let there be rock."
And there was Led Zeppelin.
Silverfist
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: Oceanus+Mactus

Postby trench_coat101 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:15 am

you know thats kindve annoying because i always want to buy the sound trecks for films ive seen such as LOTR, HP, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and you can buy them. its just that when you get round to it theyre either ~*pineapples*~ without the movie OR... the song you want is in the middle of another one
"Who owns this house?"

"Im looking after it for Lord Elpous"

"(Lord Help us!) Will he be gone long?"

"Quite a while i should think, they buried him this morning"

"Oh dear what was the matter?"

"He'd been lying on his back for three days."

"Well that doesnt neccessarily mean a mans dead"

"Aha, this time it did. He was on the bottom of the lake"
trench_coat101
Armoured Bear

Postby tato » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:26 pm

i like desplat, his work, i trust in him, very good choice; this way we dont stay in the obvious choices, like john williams, danny elfman or howard shore. he will be great. :D
tato
Gallivespian Spy

Postby daemon_light » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:27 pm

molotov wrote:I have a feeling that the music in the trailer isn't entirely original, and has been borrowed from other scores at this early teaser stage.

I know that some of it is from Children of Dune... I'm sure some of it is from something else. For some reason though, I have a feeling someone told me that the first 30 seconds of the film were Doyle's music for the film...

SilverFist wrote: I just hope that it won't have a soundtrack with half the songs done only by a drum machine like they did in Narnia.

What do mean...? I personally liked that soundtrack.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Mr Anderson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Harry Gregson-Williams' score for Narnia was fabulous. The highlight of the film by a long shot. I am not sure which track you mean by 'Drum machine', the instrument isn't used as frequently as you suggest.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Roronoa Zoro » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:31 pm

Yeah, from what i've seen in the trailers, a great portion of the music comes from Children of Dune and Lady in the Water. And probably a few others. Very rarely does a movie trailer have the actual score in it.
Roronoa Zoro
Gallivespian Spy

Postby daemon_light » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:50 pm

the pre production video played Edward Scissorhands music.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Pan_Fan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:32 am

Mr Anderson wrote:Harry Gregson-Williams' score for Narnia was fabulous. The highlight of the film by a long shot. I am not sure which track you mean by 'Drum machine', the instrument isn't used as frequently as you suggest.

yeah i agree i love that soundtrack...very original. i just hope gc will have some sort of catchy main theme like that
http://www.freerice.com

answer questions to end world hunger
Pan_Fan
Grazer

Postby Kyrillion » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:14 pm

I was trying to ignore this aspect, as caring about film music can only open up a world of hurt when it, almost inevitably, sucks. However, I saw Atonement last week as you may just about be able to tell from Mr. Avatar over there, loved it. Almost as much as I loved the book, because while the film lacks Ian McEwan's prose, the book of course lacks James McAvoy.

And the music was so fantastic, it's spoiled me for anything less. If you've not seen it, you can pick up on some of the ideas from the bits used on the trailer.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby rats_rox » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm

The last bit of the trailer is from gladiator! :twisted:
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Silverfist » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:58 pm

Sorry, I just really didn't like the Narnia soundtrack.

daemon_light wrote:the pre production video played Edward Scissorhands music.

I just finished watching Edward Scissorhands an hour ago! :wink: Great film.

I hope TGC has more of a Lord of the Rings or Pirates of the Caribbean type soundtrack.
And God said:
"Let there be rock."
And there was Led Zeppelin.
Silverfist
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: Oceanus+Mactus

Postby daemon_light » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:32 am

Roronoa Zoro wrote:Yeah, from what i've seen in the trailers, a great portion of the music comes from Children of Dune and Lady in the Water. And probably a few others. Very rarely does a movie trailer have the actual score in it.

Dear God! I just realized that as I was watching the Lady in the Water... that's one of my favorite bits they put in the trailer! Great music, I love Newton Howard.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby green ink » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 am

I found an interview with Alexandre Desplat on a german site, where he talks a little bit about The Golden Compass.
He says it's challenge for him, the music has to be sweeping, epic and symphonic as well as subtle and personal. It's a new direction for him which he's trying out. Made the more difficult by not trying to sound like his inspirations John Williams and Danny Elfman.
He says it's something he's never done before and it's hard trying to find his own way in this, while keeping up with the enormous pressure of writing a two hour score for a major hollywood studio film.
But he does think it's wonderful experience.

At least that's what I made of it, if you speak german you can read it for yourself here: http://www.original-score.de/index.php/site/interview/interview_mit_alexandre_desplat_allgemeines_birth_painted_veil/ It's the last question.

If the music for the daemons-featurette was his, than I think he's doing quite a good job. It was obvious though that John Williams was a big influence. Still I'm very much looking forward to hearing the entire thing,
it could quite possibly be one of the best things in the film.
Squirrel butts don't glow
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby DustDaemon » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:25 pm

I doubt alot of the music we have heard is his because Phillip Pullman just said the other day that '...they were recording the music with a big orchestra in London'

I wonder if it's the London Symphony Orchestra. That would be cool. I suppose it might be, he recorded his score for 'The Queen' with the LSO. He won an Oscar for that if im not mistaken.... ill check later. Im looking forward to this, i need to be able to play a theme on piano or i will die in shame.

Wow i havent posted anything in a long time.
Like it? £1 Love it? £2 Hate it? £50
DustDaemon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby green ink » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:42 am

DustDaemon wrote:I doubt alot of the music we have heard is his because Phillip Pullman just said the other day that '...they were recording the music with a big orchestra in London'

I wonder if it's the London Symphony Orchestra.

I think it's quite probable. Apart from The Queen (no oscar, alas) he's recorded a score with them before. And they are somehow almost the go-to orchestra when it comes to large fantasy adventures. (somehow being, Starwars, Indiana Jones, two Harry Potters)

I'm a little relieved that it would seem that we haven't heard anything from the score yet, the music from the daemons-featurette was nice, but it didn't seem typically Desplat.
Squirrel butts don't glow
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby yesac113 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:38 am

probably be on itunes after the movie comes out... thats my best bet and sorry to anyone who suggested this idea
The fall didn't kill you....
It's the sudden stop that did.
yesac113
Grazer

Postby Blossom » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 pm

If anyone is interested, Amazon have it listed as coming out on December 4th. No track listing yet though.

I'm a very big soundtrack person, so I'm really looking forward to this. I hope it's a memorable score.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations