The Republic of Heaven

M: Armoured Bear Scenes

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: Armoured Bear Scenes

Postby Jez » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm

IGN have posted an article about the ice bears of TGC. Embedded in the article are two clips showing actual scenes from the film. There's a second interesting article about daemons, with some new quotes from Chris Weitz, though no footage.

The first clip shows Lyra meeting Iorek. The second clip shows the beginning of the bear fight.

Obviously, there are SPOILERS. If you don't want to see any actual scenes, you'd better not watch them!
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Will » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Cool beans. Loads of dialogue from the books again.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Re: Armoured Bear Scenes

Postby DMorrow » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Cool clips. I was a little skeptical of whether Ian McKellan would be able to manage a "bear-like" voice for Iorek, but it seems that he did a very good job after all. And Dakota's acting seems decent as well.
DMorrow
Zalif

Postby Pan_Fan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:30 pm

hey thanks for posting this!! this is the longest bit of a scene i've seen so far with dakota acting... pretty good i think.
http://www.freerice.com

answer questions to end world hunger
Pan_Fan
Grazer

Postby Midnighttosix » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:50 pm

Does anyone else think the bear fight looks a bit... well, rubbish? :? Seems to be something lacking that makes it look kind of like a videogame, can't really put my finger on it. Anyway, I'm sure I'll change my mind when it's on the big screen!

And is it just me or does it sound like Ian McKellan's trying to do a Sean Connery impression? :lol:
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:52 pm

Why is ign such a lame site for streaming video, good clips though.

I think its strange to hear people talk about spoilers, i mean we've read the books. If the the movie was being made they way it should be i wouldn't watch these videos but its not. The only "spoiling" thats going on is what they've done to the plot.
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby AUST » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:00 pm

I dislike the bear sight-tis just not brutal enough. (Actually it is brutal, but there no blood :(
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby DMorrow » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 pm

AUST wrote:I dislike the bear sight-tis just not brutal enough. (Actually it is brutal, but there no blood :(

Well its only like the first minute. We know from the first trailer that Iofur/Ragnar's jaw goes flying by the end of it.
DMorrow
Zalif

Postby advo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Well its only like the first minute. We know from the first trailer that Iofur/Ragnar's jaw goes flying by the end of it.

Yes... Lovely.

I agree, it's only the first minute so lots can still happened.

I for one, liked both clips very much! I think both most definitely established that Iorek is not the cuddly, Coca Cola bears.

And I'm totally digging Dakota's haughty tone with Iorek in the beginning - SO Lyra! I'm more and more convinced, she's the right choice.
advo
Gyptian

Postby Qu Klaani » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:15 pm

Lyra good, Gandalf awful. Hes a great actor, but the decision to cast him (purely for a big name actor, and against the wishes of the director) has to be in the top five screw-ups in this movie. I honestly think he'll ruin every scene in which Iorek speaks.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Knick » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:38 pm

I'm more assured wth McKellen this time around.

And Dakota was quite good in the scene with Farder Coram and Iorek.
Knick
Grazer

Postby advo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:45 pm

I like Ian McKellen's voicing of Iorek. Maybe because I haven't seen LOTR :roll:
advo
Gyptian

Postby DMorrow » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:59 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:Lyra good, Gandalf awful. Hes a great actor, but the decision to cast him (purely for a big name actor, and against the wishes of the director) has to be in the top five screw-ups in this movie. I honestly think he'll ruin every scene in which Iorek speaks.

Really? I was worried about McKellan at first, but actually like how Iorek sounded in this scene. It almost sounded like they may have digitally enhanced his voice or something to make it sound gruffer and more powerful, but in any case I think it works.

Besides, we only ever really heard one line from Nonso Anozie, so it's sort of hard to compare.
Last edited by DMorrow on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMorrow
Zalif

Postby Blossom » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:29 am

I thought the other guy was a better Iorek, Ian is too old.

But i did like these scenes. The first one gave me more confidence in Dakota's acting ability, and I liked the dialogue. The bear fight looked pretty cool i thought, with cutesy bear bums wiggling about the place. mmm big bear bums.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby hoobits » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:02 am

Overall these did nothing for me, but then again they are on a computer screen... McKellan as Iorek doesn't work. He brings too much gravitas and flair to the role. There is hardly a trace of being this very alien and dangerous creature. The filtering effects on his voice just make him sound way too metallic.
Dakota on the other hand is still a hard book to read. One moment there is a real punch and attitude and then the next it sounds like she's reading off a cue card. Though Again this stuff is taken out of context...
Bear fight looks like it is going to suffer from that near constant "diving, swooping camera".
God forbid the camera stays still one moment during a fight. :roll: Or at least the filmmakers could have been tactful with their moments and have used the camera as a tool to support the movement and actions of "da bears";
this just comes off as lazy and gives a false sense of excitement.

OK I'll stop complaining now.
hoobits
Gyptian

Postby daemon_light » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:03 am

I'm not watching them... :D

They sound awesome though, can't wait to see them in theaters!
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Somewhat » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:37 am

Dakota is wonderfully cheeky. McKellan really doesn't work for Iorek, sadly. It would've been nice if he could capture the role but it just sounds incorrect. On the plus side, I dig the music. It's so good. :D
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby green ink » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 am

You shouldn't really watch clips like this on such a postage stamp size. They need to be shown on a huge screen, still I like Dakota. I think she was quite good in that scene where she meets Iorek.
McKellen however sounded totally off, unless he was playing Iorek drunk.
There's too much flair and once-upon-a-timeyness in his voice. I did like the sound though, there was something rasping about it that made it sound like it really came from the throat of a bear. So good job soundpeople.

The fight looked like it could do with some extra work. Lyra wasn't really very well integrated with her surroundings and something about it just didn't ring true. I agree with Hoobits about the overactive camera, it's simply too much. I can't help thinking that they've made the scene unnecessarily elaborate. I always pictured it as being set in something of a courtyard, and I think a practical location would have made things look a bit better than they do now. The bears look fine, but it's just that I don't believe it the way it's done now.

But I think part of that is also the fact that we're watching clips, isolated from the whole, sitting in our homes it's very easy to not be convinced.
I think that when seen in the whole of the film it'll be more than passable.

Also, great music, lovely and frantic.
Squirrel butts don't glow
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Will » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Hm, more from Chris Weitz here on Nonso Anozie being summarily fired:

Chris Weitz wrote:I disagreed with the decision. Nonso had a deep, younger voice, and I was very sad to lose someone whose performance I highly valued. But it's no slight against Sir Ian, who brings a more monarchic quality.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby daemon_light » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:05 pm

green ink wrote:You shouldn't really watch clips like this on such a postage stamp size. They need to be shown on a huge screen, still I like Dakota. I think she was quite good in that scene where she meets Iorek.
McKellen however sounded totally off, unless he was playing Iorek drunk.
There's too much flair and once-upon-a-timeyness in his voice. I did like the sound though, there was something rasping about it that made it sound like it really came from the throat of a bear. So good job soundpeople.

I think that Iorek was supposed to be half drunk in that scene... but I can't really tell you seeing I haven't seen the movie. :roll:
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations