The Republic of Heaven

M: Box Office

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: Box Office

Postby sfsraffie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:21 pm

April 6 Box Office Mojo:

Meanwhile, The Golden Compass's foreign campaign fired its final salvo in China, opening in third place with a lukewarm $1.3 million. The fantasy was higher in its fifth week in Japan, where it has grossed a strong $27.3 million.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2478&p=s.htm

Hm...

Now if they'd release a Director's Cut theatrically, to glowing reviews, the sequels would be made and world peace would be achieved a few days thereafter! 8)
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby kincuri » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:10 am

It's so close to $300 million outside the US!

The April 13th Update at Box Office Mojo puts it at: $299,529,214

It took almost $700,000 in Japan last weekend (5th place after 7 weeks) and pretty much the same amount in China last week (3rd after 3 weeks).

Next week should see the $300M mark for sure :)
kincuri
Zalif

Postby Jahoga » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:54 am

This is good news. :D
And I know for a fact that Chris will definitly make sure his own cut is released theatrically next time for the subtle knife and amber spyglass.
Jahoga
Grazer

Postby kincuri » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:23 am

Hurrah!

Having followed Box Office Mojo religiously since the Japanese premier, I am happy to announce that The Golden Compass has officially hit $300 Million outside the US! [Achieving the milestone of being the only film ever to make $300 million outside the US whilst making less than $100 million inside the US]

As of April 20th, the foreign box office takings: $300,695,034
Total box office takings: $370,802,762

It was 8th over the weekend in Japan taking $477k and was 5th for the week in China with $442k.

It brings it to the 109th highest grossing film of all time.

So much for all the "flop" talk. Hopefully it'll help Warner/New Line realize it's not a dud, and all they need to do is rethink their approach to the US market.
kincuri
Zalif

Postby daemon_light » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:49 pm

If that's true... then WOOOOPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps WB/NL see the potential for the next two. Especially if they market it well, Subtle Knife could be a big hit because of its dramatic tradgedy. It'll actually be a rather depressing movie, (death of Rodger in beginning, death of Dad in the end) but critics LOVE that kind of stuff. With the Subtle Knife, people will actually begin to like Golden Compass more because the story seems to have a more cohesive whole and point. If Subtle Knife does well, then Amber Spyglass is sure to be a big hit, and they'll have the money to spend on the visual effects for AS.

This is my hope! At least, if this news is true, that a Director's Cut is very likely. :P

EDIT: YAY! You're right! Hope it keeps bringing in the money. :D
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby L and M » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:20 pm

This looks good! Come on, people, buy that DVD! And with the chance off a Director's Cut seeming more and more likely, I am getting exited! :)
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby sfsraffie » Thu May 15, 2008 2:30 am

All told, it could have been worse... viz., Speed Racer! :)
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby kincuri » Thu May 15, 2008 4:25 am

sfsraffie wrote:All told, it could have been worse... viz., Speed Racer! :)

It makes me sad. I was so excited for Speed Racer, simply because I loved the cartoon show when I was little. The addition of Matthew Fox (aka Jack from the masterpiece that is LOST) just added to my anticipation.
Having watched the trailer the other night, it put me off. It looks silly, too much like a roller derby instead of motor racing.

I suppose being released just a week after Iron Man doesn't help, it's pretty clear which movie is people's preference.

Oh wells...
kincuri
Zalif

Postby Lipan » Thu May 15, 2008 7:09 am

kincuri wrote:
sfsraffie wrote:All told, it could have been worse... viz., Speed Racer! :)

It makes me sad. I was so excited for Speed Racer, simply because I loved the cartoon show when I was little. The addition of Matthew Fox (aka Jack from the masterpiece that is LOST) just added to my anticipation.
Having watched the trailer the other night, it put me off. It looks silly, too much like a roller derby instead of motor racing.

I suppose being released just a week after Iron Man doesn't help, it's pretty clear which movie is people's preference.

Oh wells...

I know this is off topic, but go see it regardless.

The trailer put me off from seeing the movie as well, but I still saw it and found that it was great fun and really unlike anything else I've seen in theaters in a loooong time. Not many people went to see the movie because of the trailers, but those who Ive talked to that went to see it loved it as well. Don't miss this movie in theatres.
Lipan
Grazer

Postby sfsraffie » Thu May 15, 2008 3:50 pm

Speed Racer glorifies the internal combustion engine, which is causing global warming, which in turn will result in misery and death for countless people. HDM, on the other hand, suggests that we leave the world better than we found it. I for one am therefore delighted to see Racer crash and burn.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby daemon_light » Sat May 17, 2008 2:20 am

sfsraffie wrote:Speed Racer glorifies the internal combustion engine, which is causing global warming, which in turn will result in misery and death for countless people. HDM, on the other hand, suggests that we leave the world better than we found it. I for one am therefore delighted to see Racer crash and burn.

Not to mention that everyone in the Speed Racer universe is on 'speed'.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby jessia » Sat May 17, 2008 2:33 am

daemon_light wrote:
sfsraffie wrote:Speed Racer glorifies the internal combustion engine, which is causing global warming, which in turn will result in misery and death for countless people. HDM, on the other hand, suggests that we leave the world better than we found it. I for one am therefore delighted to see Racer crash and burn.

Not to mention that everyone in the Speed Racer universe is on 'speed'.

it's disappointing, when this film was in development in the late 90s, alfonso cuaron and johnny depp were in talks.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations