The Republic of Heaven

M: Box Office

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: Box Office

Postby Will » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm

I thought we could use a thread to track how TGC is doing at the box office. It was only out in the US today, so no reports from that market yet.

There's thison the UK release:

Market Watch wrote:On its first day of release in the United Kingdom, New Line Cinema's "The Golden Compass" starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig scored a major box office success, garnering $1.9 million around the country on Wednesday. The film marks Entertainment Film Distributors' highest opening outside of New Line's "The Lord of the Rings" franchise.

In the UK, "The Golden Compass" out-grossed "The Chronicles of Narnia
: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," which had a $1.7 million opening in 2005.
So far, the New Line Cinema fantasy epic ranked #1 in seven territories: U.K., Spain, France, Finland, Norway, Thailand and the Philippines.

Variety add:

Variety wrote:“At this early stage, all looks good for ‘The Golden Compass’ -- the big December release,” said a London-based booker. “While it is too early to jump for joy, the opening-day figure puts it on course for an opening five-day take of between £6 million ($12.3 million) and £7 million ($14.3 million) and a final gross of £30 million ($61.4 million).”

Pic faces little meaningful competition at the Brit B.O. this weekend -- most releases are indies aimed at arthouse auds. Reviews from U.K. critics have been positive to mixed.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby deathisgoingtodie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Well, if it does well by monetary standards, the next two movies are almost definitely going to happen. You can bet your asses that New Line care a lot more about the money than they do the critics, or they wouldn't have insisted on it being under 2 hours.

If they do make 2 more...lets just hope Weitz makes some major changes...
"And so Lyra and her daemon turned away from the world they were born in, looked towards the sun, and walked into the sky" - Northern Lights
deathisgoingtodie
Grazer

Postby kulang » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:23 pm

Yesss! Some good news! The critics were starting to get me down. I couldn't stand it if the sequels weren't made.
kulang
Grazer

Postby northernlights2 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:24 pm

Great topic, I was wondering why anyone isn't saying anything about this. I so hope it'll make it.. So far looks good! :D

I'm finding it a bit odd that many almost don't seem to hope for a sequel if they think GC wasn't good enough. It's just adaption and whether they'll be good or bad I for one want them to be made anyway. It's not like we have anything to lose.
northernlights2
Grazer

Re: Box Office

Postby Grumman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:27 pm

Variety wrote:“At this early stage, all looks good for ‘The Golden Compass’ -- the big December release,” said a London-based booker. “While it is too early to jump for joy, the opening-day figure puts it on course for an opening five-day take of between £6 million ($12.3 million) and £7 million ($14.3 million) and a final gross of £30 million ($61.4 million).”

That would still be far below breakeven, wouldn't it? Of course the American market is much greater, so it's probably there where they'd expect to make real profits. It will be interesting to see. I think it's a very pertinent thread Will.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Radrappy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:37 pm

Way to be a team player Thailand!
Radrappy
Grazer

AOL: PSOartist

Postby the truth » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:41 pm

this is great news!!! :D :D :D
the truth
Grazer

Postby hoobits » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:45 pm

I had no doubt that it would do well in the UK, either better or just below LOTR.
Even if it flops in the US (And by flop I mean making only $30 million opening weekend, only getting to about $100 total), it is going to be the international stage that will decide if the next two are a go.
We will know Friday's US numbers by Saturday afternoon, which will give us an overall idea of its total weekend take.
hoobits
Gyptian

Postby Ptokos » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Well this Hollywood-focused blog is claiming that it's going to be a "bomb" in the states.

Also, they're saying that it needs to make $50 mil here to be considered a success...

*shrug* Hey, nobody in this world has an alethiometer :wink: I guess we'll know soon enough.

I would like to see those sequels though... *crossed fingers for good luck*
Ptokos
Grazer

Postby Phoenixashes » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:56 pm

I went to a midnight showing last night. It was a huge theater, and was nearly packed. A lot of younger adults, most of whom didn't appear to be fans of the books. However I got the general impression everyone enjoyed the film and were entertained. I will say the ending seemed to dissapoint people but they seemed to understand it was just the first installment.

After last night's experience I really feel as though the film will do very well :D
Phoenixashes
Grazer

Postby Grumman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:07 am

Ptokos wrote:Well this Also, they're saying that it needs to make $50 mil here to be considered a success...

61 + 50 = 111 < 200

Still too far from breakeven.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Ivan Parslovich » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:15 am

I saw it in the sneak peak Friday, should I go see it again?
Ivan Parslovich
Grazer

Postby Bellerophon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:17 am

Grumman, the estimate cited in the link is just for the opening weekend. With a $50 million opening weekend TGC will almost certainly break even. Trouble is, the experts are predicting high-twenties. That would be bad.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Phoenixashes » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:28 am

Ivan Parslovich wrote:I saw it in the sneak peak Friday, should I go see it again?

Yes, we should all do our part and see it a couple times and bring as many people as possible.
Phoenixashes
Grazer

Postby Grumman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:30 am

Bellerophon wrote:Grumman, the estimate cited in the link is just for the opening weekend. With a $50 million opening weekend TGC will almost certainly break even. Trouble is, the experts are predicting high-twenties. That would be bad.

Thanks for clarifying.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby jessia » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:32 am

i went to see a mid-afternoon showing for the opening day in my city. the cinema wasn't packed but it was decently full with a mix of young people give or take five years of my own age (there were fanboys of various children's favourites sitting behind me... i have to agree with them, the prince caspian trailer does look good) and families and then some of those random retired couples you see at theatres because no that they don't work they can see movies whenever they like. as the credits came up, most of the younger audience got up with "it was good, but" comments and a lot of the families and a few others stuck around explaining plot points to each other but overall it seemed like a positive reception.

box office tracking for tonight is 27m apparently.
Last edited by jessia on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Grumman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:40 am

jessia wrote:i went to see a mid-afternoon showing for the opening day in my city.

Was that Toronto or Montréal? Would you expect a similar attitude in both?
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby jessia » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:47 am

Grumman wrote:
jessia wrote:i went to see a mid-afternoon showing for the opening day in my city.

Was that Toronto or Montréal? Would you expect a similar attitude in both?

this was in montreal. i think the attitude would be pretty similar. all my excited friends are in toronto anyways. i'll probably be seeing it again when i get there and that'll be another ten dollars for the box office. (canada's included in american box office calculations... which is bad for some reasons but awesome because we don't have to worry about late releases like australia or sometimes britain does)

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby randomthotz » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:11 am

I saw it in Toronto at one. I thought, hey, these kids should be in school, so the audience would skew older leaving for a more enjoyable and undistracted viewing. However, when I was approaching the box office, there was a gr.5-ish class in line. A glance at the movie list, and yep, they were there for TGC. However, there were so well-behaved, I almost felt bad I judged them straightaway. *almost* On top of the class, there were quite a few people. My theatre was probably 1/2 - 2/3 full, which wasn't too bad.

On my way to another movie, I overheard one of the kids call it "The Best Movie This Year!"

61 + 50 = 111 < 200

Still too far from breakeven.

The breakeven number is far higher than 200, or even the supposed budget of 250. We have to consider the costs to promote the film as well, on top of other miscellaneous things. My personal guess would be anywhere between 350 and 500 million.
randomthotz
Grazer

Postby jessia » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:14 am

randomthotz wrote:The breakeven number is far higher than 200, or even the supposed budget of 250. We have to consider the costs to promote the film as well, on top of other miscellaneous things. My personal guess would be anywhere between 350 and 500 million.

and article that came out about a month before the release cited promotional costs within the budget of around 200m. it was worth quite a bit though.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations