The Republic of Heaven

M: The ending

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

What did you think of the ending?

It was awful! They should have kept the original ending!
52%
It was okay, but I still would have preferred the original ending.
43%
I really liked it! I think it worked better this way.
4%

Total votes : 46

M: The ending

Postby Jez » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:20 pm

So for everyone who has seen the film, what did you think of the changed ending? Personally, I didn't like it at all. I thought it was a bad idea when I heard the news, but I hoped that they might be able to pull it off. But after watching the film, the ending was simply a crushing disappointment.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Re: The ending

Postby elyaeru » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Last edited by elyaeru on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elyaeru
Grazer

Postby furbaby » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:30 pm

I don't know.

As the intention was to move the ending to the second film, I can't really judge until/unless we see the next part. It all depends on whether they go ahead with the sequels. If they do, it's all a continuous story as far as I'm concerned. If not, then it's more likely the original ending would be restored on an extended DVD version.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Mr Anderson » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:57 pm

furbaby wrote:I don't know.

As the intention was to move the ending to the second film, I can't really judge until/unless we see the next part. It all depends on whether they go ahead with the sequels. If they do, it's all a continuous story as far as I'm concerned. If not, then it's more likely the original ending would be restored on an extended DVD version.

It happening in the next film is not an excuse in my opinion. The Golden Compass had a distinct feeling of being unfinished, and I believe this was due to the ending being cut. But not because it was an integral part of the book, it was because originally it was intended to be in the film. Weitz shot the whole film believing that the ending would be present, and structured it accordingly. The last minute editing and cutting seeps through, leaving audiences completely bewildered at why it suddenly just ended. Now if he had shot the film from the beginning, knowing that the ending would not be present, I am quite certain things would be a different story. Sadly as it is, TGC is less than a film. Never make a film with the sole intention of setting up a sequel.
Now take a look at how Jackson did LotR; each film is a film. Each can stand strongly alone. Each has it's own story and character development, tightly written together, as well as dabbling into plots for the whole series. That's how to do it.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Blossom » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:29 pm

I really didn't like it, it made the film too short, and it just didn't feel like the film should end there.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Aurone » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:40 pm

I was outside the theatre just POed after that. It felt like the wanted a happy up-beat ending, and as I stated with my Review, if New Line wanted that kind of ending, they should not of done HDM, cause Pullman has never given that kind of ending with his books.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Roronoa Zoro » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:32 am

Let's face it, if the book ending had been like that, the majority of people would not be complaining. The problem of rescuing the kids was solved. In a film sense it worked to end it there. Although, I share the disappointment at how short the film was. They needed to beef up the body of the film, not the ending.
Roronoa Zoro
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:42 am

Roronoa Zoro wrote:Let's face it, if the book ending had been like that, the majority of people would not be complaining.

If the book ending were like that, I don't think the following books would have been read by many of us, and it wouldn't have received the acclaim that it has. The ending lifted the book from a romping good time to something much more complex, and promised even deeper things to come.

The book's ending would have lifted the film from this no man's land of mediocrity where it is floundering now; not for children, and not for adults, not exactly candy fare and not exactly meaningful stuff...But if they had to have an ending like this for the film, I think it could have been executed better, and not so obviously 'We'll save the world; me, you, Serafina Pekkala, the Tinman, the Cowardly Lion...'
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Enitharmon » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:38 am

Mockingbird wrote:
Roronoa Zoro wrote:Let's face it, if the book ending had been like that, the majority of people would not be complaining.

If the book ending were like that, I don't think the following books would have been read by many of us, and it wouldn't have received the acclaim that it has. The ending lifted the book from a romping good time to something much more complex, and promised even deeper things to come.

That is very true, up to a point. But the book was always more than just a romping good time, and it seems that the big problem is that everything that made it so was stripped out of the film.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Roronoa Zoro » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:

That is very true, up to a point. But the book was always more than just a romping good time, and it seems that the big problem is that everything that made it so was stripped out of the film.

One thing I do like is that since the film ends in such a happy way, it will really catch the nonreader off guard (should the next film be made) when Roger is killed in the first 20 minutes of the second film by Asriel. Lyra makes everything seem so ideal when it ends on how everyone will fight alongside each other...and it just ends up being so different, shattering that whole idealistic image. I think it'll throw the audience through a loop and add an extra appreciation.
Roronoa Zoro
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Grumman » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:15 pm

The original ending was an important cliffhanger in a series that was to be continued. The ending in this film was probabley appropriate for the "single movie" version of the story, since the other two are unlikely to be filmed...
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:42 am

I found the ending adequate for the purpose it served, as others have said, as a stand-alone movie ending. Did the family thing and made everyone feel all fuzzy wuzzy. And if the sequels are made, it will make for an exciting scene in the second movie. I didn't like how it ended there at all, but I understand and as long as they include the original ending in the dvd I'll be content.
I feel refreshed now that my eyes aren't exploding out of their sockets!
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Postby namster » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:16 am

Storyboard of the original ending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcZr_CHOj0

You can tell by the presentation that Weitz originally intended to take his time with the important character moments, like this one. Look how well drawn-out the scene is. The editing takes its time, letting the music swell up and everything. I don't feel that he intended to rush the film -- as he eventually ended up doing. Such a shame.

EDIT: Phit informed me that Anand Tucker's team put this scene together, and not Weitz as I first assumed.
Last edited by namster on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
namster
Gyptian

Postby Aurone » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:17 am

namster wrote:Storyboard of the original ending

...you can tell by the presentation that Weitz originally intended to take his time with the important character moments, like this one. Look how well drawn-out the scene is. The editing takes its time, letting the music swell up and everything. I don't feel that he intended to rush the film -- as he eventually ended up doing. Such a shame.

This is why I'm praying so hard that the rumored Dirctor's Cut DVD with Weize's orrigenal virsion comes true.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Jez » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:58 pm

Mockingbird wrote:But if they had to have an ending like this for the film, I think it could have been executed better, and not so obviously 'We'll save the world; me, you, Serafina Pekkala, the Tinman, the Cowardly Lion...'

Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't like about it. It was so bland. Lyra basically lists everything they still have to do, so you end up leaving the cinema thinking, is that it?

You can tell it was a late change as well, because the beginning still sets up all the parallel universe stuff, which turns out to be irrelevant. The audience doesn't get the pay-off they'd expect - the first act introduces parallel universes, Dust and Lord Asriel, but the conclusion which ties these things up is missing.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby jessia » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:36 pm

indeed. even crappy endings can't be executed well when they're last minute changes/ideas. has it been written into the script, i'm sure it would've actually be written like an ending.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Yrael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:49 pm

I think they ended it so that if they did decide to not make the other films, they could just call that the conclusion to the story.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby aklebury » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:44 am

namster wrote:Storyboard of the original ending

Ye Gods! That was incredible - now that is what I call an ending!
*crosses fingers* Directors cut, directors cut, directors cut...
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby cassingtonscholar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:06 am

I personally hated the ending and loved that story board thing (thank you so much whoever posted it). The book ending isn't the end, as in the end of the story, but it kind of wrapps things up. You feel cheated because it's a cliff-hanger, but at least it gives you a sense of closing, if not conclusion. The movie ending was less of a cliff-hanger, but it still left the story wide open and you got absoleltly no sense of closing. :sick: My parents (not having read the book) agreed with me. They were confused about the ending. It's just so unsatisfactory.
Plus, it's really cool visually and since it looks like The Subtle Knife is not going to be made we'll never get to see the drama and the beauty of the last part.

I'm going with alkebury: please, please, please, please put it in the director's cut.
“‘Tagoona, if I held you by your heels from a third-story window, you would have a problem.’ Tagoona considered this long and carefully. Then he said, ‘I do not think so. If you saved me, all would be well. If you dropped me, nothing would matter. It is you who would have the problem.’”--Margaret Craven, I Heard the Owl Call My Name

"Off all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books." --Thomas Carlyle

"Plastic bags flew at us like a lost squadron of dehydrated kamikaze jellyfish."--Eric Hansen, Motoring with Mohammed

"I want to travel at the speed of smell." --Anonymous
cassingtonscholar
Gyptian

AOL: pinnipedluver

Postby jessia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:11 am

weird, i just up with my other irl friend who is an hdm fan and he liked the ending and thought it would set up the beginning for the next film.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations