The Republic of Heaven

M: Please Dear God Make the next Two Movies

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: Please Dear God Make the next Two Movies

Postby daemon_light » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:11 pm

tyche wrote:Hmm do you think if they are greenlit TSK and TAS will be aimed at a more international market. Meaning less glosssing over the religious aspects, since i haven't heard of any other countries complaining about the atheism.

Hahaha, hopefully...

I think they'll end up keeping their marketing low key second time around. Like they did with Pirates 3 and Narnia's Prince Caspian. It'd make the film hype less annoying, and then hopefully the film more impressive among audiences.
Of course, I'm not suggesting undermarketing it. But maybe being more tactful in their marketing schemes. :P :wink:
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby jasman71 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Maybe have a less conspicuous marketing for TSK, then go all out on TAS. I expect the critics will find more to complain about in that movie though, before it's even released. The Catholic League would be spitting fire....if they bothered to read it, of course, or just relied on hearsay ("oh yeah, God dies in this one.....")
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby daemon_light » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:23 am

jasman71 wrote:Maybe have a less conspicuous marketing for TSK, then go all out on TAS. I expect the critics will find more to complain about in that movie though, before it's even released. The Catholic League would be spitting fire....if they bothered to read it, of course, or just relied on hearsay ("oh yeah, God dies in this one.....")

But by then more people will have read the books because of the first movie, and (because of that) a MUCH bigger audience. People will be tired of the Catholic League's attempts, and will just go see the movie if they make it look bad ass enough.

I'm actually at the moment doing a persuasive essay for school on how "His Dark Materials should not have been boycotted by religious organizations". It's quite fun!

Anyway, back at the ranch, I agree they should go with "subtle" (haha :P ) marketing for SK and promote AS more heavily.
Apparently the producers thought the reason the marketing was bad in the US for Golden Compass is because they didn't market it as a family film---WHAT? The reason the marketing sucked was because they advertised it as a stupid generic fantasty film for squealing 10 year olds! Whatever.. they're dumb. Besides the fact that the series gets more dark and adult as it goes on, trying to market it to families isn't going to work out well. It ISN'T a family film!
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby jasman71 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:57 am

daemon_light wrote:Besides the fact that the series gets more dark and adult as it goes on, trying to market it to families isn't going to work out well. It ISN'T a family film!

At this rate DBR is getting more adult as it goes on, and it will end up as an adult trilogy :lol:

It's been mentioned before that TSK shouldn't cost anywhere near the same as GC to make, and if anything could do the Oxford tourist industry some good (for the time it's on screen) in the same way as, say, the UK tv series Morse did as it was entirely set there, and to this day there are guided tours of Morse landmarks. I don't know where they'd film Cittagazze, or any other "world" (outside of greenscreen, anyway) but it's another "For" argument they could consider..

TAS though probably will cost the Earth, but if TSK has been done by then, they can't leave it undone, so long as they don't do it on the cheap...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby furbaby » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:35 pm

Why would they care about the Oxford tourist industry?

(There are more than enough tourists in Oxford already, she grumbles)
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby jasman71 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:32 pm

furbaby wrote:Why would they care about the Oxford tourist industry?

They wouldn't, any more than the creators of Morse did. But if the amount of people tramping through Oxford would increase purely because they saw it in GC, or TSK if all goes well, then by word of mouth alone (when asked how they decided to visit - "saw it on the films") perhaps the viewing figures for GC/TSK would increase, however slightly (it all helps). [and I mean those who haven't read the books and do the tour of Botanic Garden, park bench etc...]

Also, I had this ideal of Warners coming to Oxford, meeting with local officials and declaring their intentions to film there for 6 months, and the officials and locals saying "yes, you can film here, here and here, and we'll all go and see it when it's done/buy it when it's out". All added money for TAS, which they'd need a lot of!

I know we don't all love tourists! I live in Tourism Central in the summer, and the place is crawling with em, but a lot of them I've asked over the years say they saw it on tv, or a series, or a film, and wanted to visit, and wanted to buy books and dvds with the place on it to show their friends..

So imagine this effect with the dvd release tomorrow. And (hopefully) later on with TSK having been filmed there, people buying dvds left, right and centre because they took their kids to see the film(s) and featured places they live in/ visit/ want to go to/ have been to..etc..

All money accumulated from the dvd sales can only be a boost to the chances of sequels happening.

Hope this makes sense? I know what I mean, even if no-one else does! :D

Crikey, less than a day left! Where has the time gone!?)
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby daemon_light » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:10 pm

jasman71 wrote:
Crikey, less than a day left! Where has the time gone!?)

2 days. Isn't it being released on April 29th?
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby L and M » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:30 pm

Nope. It's released on Monday the 28th, in Britain.
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby Grumman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 am

furbaby wrote:Why would they care about the Oxford tourist industry?

I agree. As far as I'm concerned there are too many tourists in Oxford.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby joebob793 » Sat May 03, 2008 8:20 am

Okay, so over and over again in the Director's commentary, and in Dakota's discussion of the film they reference "The Next Two Movies"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps? maybe? Maybe? A glimmer of hope?

I HOPE SO!
joebob793
Grazer

Postby potters_pimp » Thu May 08, 2008 7:53 am

joebob793 wrote:Okay, so over and over again in the Director's commentary, and in Dakota's discussion of the film they reference "The Next Two Movies"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE SO!

I hope it's less a glimmer and more a confirmation.
I'm really truly happy with what Chris Weitz did (even though I was a bit skeptical (I take back anything I had against him being director)). More than anything I want to see what Dakota does as she is *SPOILER ALERT 4 THE AMBER SPYGLASS* torn apart from Pantalaimon while crossing into the world of the dead. I also want to see some Roger deathage!
IF ANYONE IMPORTANT IS READING THIS (I heard on the special features Chris Weitz wanders fan forums **hint hint**) GIVE US THE SUBTLE KNIFE AND THE AMBER SPYGLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
potters_pimp
Grazer

Postby JenniferMLX » Sun May 11, 2008 6:58 am

Actually, please don't - at least, not until after this pitiful attempt is laid to rest and forgotten and someone with the guts to do it right can start the whole trilogy over. Yeah, nice visuals, great casting... now if only we had the right director / studio...

I'd comment on the use of God in the title of this thread, but anyone who liked the movie probably wouldn't understand anyway so why bother.
JenniferMLX
Grazer

Postby sfsraffie » Sun May 11, 2008 2:36 pm

potters_pimp wrote:
joebob793 wrote:Okay, so over and over again in the Director's commentary, and in Dakota's discussion of the film they reference "The Next Two Movies"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As noted elsewhere, the commentary track was recorded before the release. Even if the studio had flat-out denied that any sequels would be made, I think they'd be too lazy to change the commentary. I really can't see this as suggesting anything at all.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby daemon_light » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:29 pm

To address Kate's (Kyrillion) question in another thread on why fans WANT to see the sequels made...

one.) The books of His Dark Materials are certainly better as a whole... they compliment one another, and while GC was my favorite book, I liked it even more with the other two. I believ the same can be done with the movies. The main critique from movie goers was its "here's all the parts for the movie that's really gonna kick your ass, oh, but we didn't make that movie yet" sort of ending. Once the other two come out, the first actually might be hailed as a really good film because everyone now knows the rest of the story.

two.) Amber Spyglass is the book that would MOST benefit from being a film... it actually could use some slimming down. It is one of the main reasons why it is not my favorite book of the three.

three.) It honestly most promises a director's cut more than if they failed to make the sequels.

four.) The Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass really can't be hammed up to look like a generic fantasy film, which is what happened to Golden Compass a bit in the previews AND a little (but not much) in the actual film. So audiences' interest will probably be more peaked.

five.) Golden Compass was a good film, but of course not as excellant as Lord of the Rings. However, His Dark Materials is also a more difficult film to make. And with that in mind, I think Golden Compass was definently a more than half-way decent film and adaptation...

Hope you read this, Kate! Respond when you do! :wink:
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby bharned1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:32 am

OK, DVD sold pretty well, so thats some more money. And since New Line got bought by Warner Brothers, it's in good hands. Warner brothers has GAJILLIONS of dollars!! Money is not a problem, it's the will to do it. I vote for picketing the warner Brothers HQ. If that doesn't work, trying throwing heavy objects and breaking stuff. That works too, plus it makes the Pay Per View ratings soar! ( Recession be gone, money to the economy!) If demonstrations and rioting don't work, and we've already killed off God, then we can jsut do our own version of the movie, and post it on YouTube. The radiacal book hatas won't be able to stop us then! :twisted:
Tommorow we will sweat and toil, our hands will quiver caked with soil.
Tommorow we'll give it one last chance,
but tonight we dance, but tonight we dance!
-Rise Against, But Tonight We Dance
bharned1
Zalif

Postby TheRealNeo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Just make it!

Come on Deborah Forte come out and speak out! In MArhc you said you will make it and now? Nothing! Just give us some damn news.
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:23 pm

yeah, what happened to that?

's only cos all the religous people boycotted the film cos they cant tell the difference between fiction and reality. DAMMIT, AMERICA!

no offense to any americans here of course, your all in the minority who can tell the difference :)

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby daemon_light » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:54 pm

if only... wrote:no offense to any americans here of course, your all in the minority who can tell the difference :)

Oh believe me... no offense is taken. :roll: I wouldn't over-generalize though, the Catholic Church really did make this out to be Satan at work in this trilogy.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations