The Republic of Heaven

M: Favorite scenes/moments/details

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: Favorite scenes/moments/details

Postby bharned1 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:10 am

I thought the entire Bolvangar section was great, and I particularly liked the guillotine scene. Also, I liked the scene where Lyra first meets Ms. Coulter. Above the table, on the surface, she is pleasent and firendly, However, below the table, under the surface, her daemon shows that she really is deceitful and she wants to utterly control Lyra. All the Gyptians were done really well too.
Tommorow we will sweat and toil, our hands will quiver caked with soil.
Tommorow we'll give it one last chance,
but tonight we dance, but tonight we dance!
-Rise Against, But Tonight We Dance
bharned1
Zalif

Postby namster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:15 pm

daemon_light wrote:
moonflash wrote:The retiring room scene scene lost a lot on film.
I didn't think so... I thought it was a little short, but I loved Lyra's expressions in that scene...they just made you smile! And I loved the way she said "Ice bears...Pan!" Her face was priceless... it was great.

I agree with daemon_light, all of Lyra's expressions in the retiring room scene were spot-on perfect. After Pan comments about "Dust", and after Lord Asriel hints about the Tokay being poisoned, she gives these awesome smiles. Later on, she gives some great expressions for the bear fight scene. Look for them...
namster
Gyptian

Postby daemon_light » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:22 am

namster wrote:
daemon_light wrote:
moonflash wrote:The retiring room scene scene lost a lot on film.
I didn't think so... I thought it was a little short, but I loved Lyra's expressions in that scene...they just made you smile! And I loved the way she said "Ice bears...Pan!" Her face was priceless... it was great.

I agree with daemon_light, all of Lyra's expressions in the retiring room scene were spot-on perfect. After Pan comments about "Dust", and after Lord Asriel hints about the Tokay being poisoned, she gives these awesome smiles. Later on, she gives some great expressions for the bear fight scene. Look for them...

I know, right? She did an excellant job with believably acting with Pan... and you are SOOO right about the expression after Iorek's bitch slap! It was how all the audience felt... relieved, but horrified!! It was EXCELLANT...
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:51 pm

I got teary during the intercision scene, it was really well done and very emotional. And was great when Mrs Coulter came in to save her. I love how Lyra screams 'Get away from me' or something like that and smashes the wire. Go lyra! They really should have done the scene though where Pan pulls away from her to show how hard it be to be seperated.
Kathleen
Witch

Postby daemon_light » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 am

Kathleen wrote:I love how Lyra screams 'Get away from me' or something like that and smashes the wire. Go lyra!

Yes that really made the seen more terrifying and frantic... like how I had imagined it in the book.

Kathleen wrote:They really should have done the scene though where Pan pulls away from her to show how hard it be to be seperated.

Yes, but it wasn't necessary since they had shown Pan being dragged away by the Golden Monkey and Lyra by Mrs. Coulter... which was also great by the way! :)
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Burek » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:46 am

I really missed the scene when Lyra escapes Mrs. Coulter and goes to that stand across the theater where the stranger buys her food and coffee and she explains to him that she's waiting for her father to come. I laughed out loud at that in the books.

But my favourite scene in the film would have to be Lyra riding Iorek. I just got that warm and fuzzy feeling when I was watching that one.
Burek
Grazer

Postby keff » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:19 am

Well you all pointed out some of my favourites: Lyra's prattling to Iorek and the jaw-removal moment.

I also liked it when Lyra and Roger were walking along the roof - Roger's daemon was a dog, who clumsily slid down and then turned into a bird. Meanwhile Pan was being a very poised kitty. Demonstrated the differences between them for sure (further shown by the "you're a lady" argument).

Also laughed when Lord Asriel just about smushed Fra Pavel's beetle daemon on the decanter of Tokay's lid.

And Iorek's entrance in Trollsund, through the wall. By the second viewing though, I had read the "TGC in 15 minutes" script, so I kept giggling and thinking about the Kool-Aid mascot.
keff
Zalif

Postby tyche » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:05 am

Loved the bear fight, i was so suprised that they actually put the jaw breaking in.

Even though it wasn't in the book i really liked the scene where Mrs Coulter slapped the golden monkey. So creepy. And that monkey had it coming.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Yrael » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 pm

I loved pantalaimon!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cute!
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby namster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 pm

Burek wrote:I really missed the scene when Lyra escapes Mrs. Coulter and goes to that stand across the theater where the stranger buys her food and coffee and she explains to him that she's waiting for her father to come. I laughed out loud at that in the books.

Weitz missed a great opportunity there. He could have killed 4 birds with one stone by having Lyra say those lines to Lord Boreal: a) introduce Lord Boreal; b) show Lyra to be a liar; c) show her exasperation with having to "please" Mrs. Coulter's guests; d) have a drop-dead funny scene besides.

"My father's a murderer."
"I beg your pardon?"
"That's his job. He's on a murder right now. I clean his clothes, see."
"You're joking!"
"Am not."

Like I said, missed opportunity.

Burek wrote:But my favourite scene in the film would have to be Lyra riding Iorek. I just got that warm and fuzzy feeling when I was watching that one.

:)
namster
Gyptian

Postby Roll_with_it » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Seeing as this is originally my post, I feel I should post my original thoughts. :P

My absolute favourite part in the film is during the raid on the Gyptain camp when Lyra is finally captured. As she shout "Iorek Byrnison! Iorek Byrnison!" I literally shivered.

If you look closely during the scene where Lyra is reunited with Roger In Bolvangar, a child in the background is playing with a toy of the Magisterial Sky Ferry.

The scene where Lyra is babbling on to Iorek was so unexpected and yet so great. I was surprised the editors kept it in as it *gasp* contains character development.

I can't remember the rest, i'm buying the 2 disc blu ray one soon, so i'll hopefully have a list.
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Kyrillion » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 am

A favourite moment of mine never made it to the film (it is presumably from the final, cut, scenes): Lyra screaming, 'I'm not yours! I'll never be yours!'
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby jasman71 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:28 pm

Kyrillion wrote:A favourite moment of mine never made it to the film (it is presumably from the final, cut, scenes): Lyra screaming, 'I'm not yours! I'll never be yours!'
[quote="Kyrillion"]

Couldn't agree more. I have stated the exact same thing in a few different threads. I am glad I have it at least in a downloaded trailer!
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby daemon_light » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:13 am

Rolly wrote:The scene where Lyra is babbling on to Iorek was so unexpected and yet so great. I was surprised the editors kept it in as it *gasp* contains character development.

Haha, yeah. I'm hoping that more character development scenes were filmed that we just didn't see, that way we have the possibility of seeing them in the director's cut many of us are dying for.

EDIT: Haha! Now that I think of it, I remember there is at least one character development scene between Serafina and Farder Coram that Eva Green mentioned... so that's a little more promising.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby sfsraffie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Roll_with_it wrote:My absolute favourite part in the film is during the raid on the Gyptain camp when Lyra is finally captured. As she shout "Iorek Byrnison! Iorek Byrnison!" I literally shivered.

Even better: when being thrust into the cutting machine, she screams "Iorek Byrnison'll kill you!" A nice moment that mirrors the one in which Lyra felt like telling him to kill the man outside Tony's shack.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Errmmm...it was all good, but my favourite moments must have been...

-The distrust Lyra had for the gyptians

-The 'Outrance' between Iorek Byrnison and Ragnar Sturlusson

-Reinforcements at Bolvangar-armoured bear, ballon man (Lee Scoresbey) with rifle, witches of Lake Enara, Gyptian party...brilliant.

-The way Lyra walked up to the Tartar (i think it was tartar anyway) and spat at him.
and...
-When everyone expects Iorek to come back out the door, but then makes a hole in the wall.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations