The Republic of Heaven

M: Are you getting the DVD & which version?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: Are you getting the DVD & which version?

Postby tato » Thu May 15, 2008 6:15 pm

i bought the 2 disc version, it looks great, i love the extras. the teasers and trailers are in?i didnt find it, anyone knows where is it?thanks :D
tato
Gallivespian Spy

Postby jasman71 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:12 pm

tato wrote:i bought the 2 disc version, it looks great, i love the extras. the teasers and trailers are in?i didnt find it, anyone knows where is it?thanks :D

There are three trailers under Launching the film, on the last page of options on the bonus disc. Have a look and you should find it :)
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby Luca » Thu May 15, 2008 10:07 pm

Picked up the 2-disc DVD version earlier in the week, have watched the main feature once, now listening to the Chris Weisz commentary. Was explaining to my housemate earlier that my opinion on the film has gone from "Well, not very faithful but it was quite entertaining" to being utterly disappointed with it all. Only half hour into Weisz babbling on so fingers crossed Disc 2 will redeem it all.
So tell me now, o tell me this: a forest’s son, a river’s daughter, a willow wand, a will-o-wisp.
Our ghosts will wander all of the water.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby tato » Thu May 15, 2008 10:22 pm

i found it, thank you. ohhh, "im not yours i´ll never be yours" line, its really sad :p
tato
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Kyrillion » Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 pm

The opinion around here seems to be that it is our duty to buy the DVD to convince New Line into making The other two films. Northern Lights has always been my favourite part of the trilogy anyway, but furthermore I don't understand the logic of wanting more films in this dreadful vein. I have rewatched the film (coughyoutubecough) and it has reinforced the opinion that I was beginning to forget that this really is a very bad film. Visually pretty but as shallow as a puddle, it barely held my attention outside the cinema environment.

I would probably buy a direvtor's cut (insofar as I can afford to buy anything) but again I seem to disagree with popular opinion on Chris Weitz: most people seem to hold him blameless and imagine his personal cut of the material to be the great lost movie...

To me Weitz's script has flashes of excellence or insight but his direction is consistantly inept. As part of the course we've have five or six workshops on film language and already any one of my classmates could provide more masterful direction than this guy. At best he dully does things by the book - at worst he seems to have barely read and half-understood that book (that is the metaphorical rulebook, and not Northern Lights :)). The film seems to regard the story's fantastical creations as chores that must be dealt with and he seems to want to tell the story inspite of all the good bits and good characters rather than because of them. A lot of the beautiful work done by Rhythm and Hues on the daemons is wasted as Weitz fails to make any interesting use of a concept that should be an absolute gift to a filmmaker.

Yes, there was an appalling last-minute hack job on the editing and some panicked recasts (another reason for not owning the DVD is that I cannot stand to listen to Ian McKellan's miscast, phoned-in performance again) but there was a lot wrong with the film to start with. I personally hope they never make the sequels. That way we can consign this version to a footnote in the HDM history books and wait for someone competent to take on the trilogy.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby daemon_light » Sat May 17, 2008 2:41 am

Even though I still would like to see the next two to be made in the next few years, I agree with you Kyrillion. I don't think Weitz is completely at fault, but I do think he did make some mistakes.

I actually found myself beginning to like some of his direction, even though I think it's inconsistant. I loved the movie, but I'm still eagerly waiting for the Ext. Ed. and the next two movies to be made. Though some maybe right that the film would have been bad even without the editing changes, I'm hopeful that an extended cut of the film will satisfy a larger majority of the books' fans.

I personally hope that they put the ending of the first book into the extended... (they can go ahead and put it in the ext. ed. and the beginning of the theatrical Subtle Knife version.) But then again, if they don't, I both hope it won't matter as much about the absent ending when the other two are released, and that the parting of Iorek and Lyra at the ice bridge is saved for the right place in the last three chapters.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations