The Republic of Heaven

M: Are you getting the DVD & which version?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: Are you getting the DVD & which version?

Postby sfsraffie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm

I might Netflix it or rent it this summer, especially if Weitz's commentary gets good marks, and if (sort-of best case scenario) they decide to produce sequels, thereby delaying a TGC Director's Cut until after those are made, I may pick one up at some point from Amazon used for two or three bucks, but I won't be buying any new dvd that doesn't include the full ending at a minimum.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Will you be getting the (theatrical) dvd?

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Probably. I'm a bit gullible.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Blossom » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Well I won't be buying it at all, but if webmaster wasn't going to get I'd be renting it for the extra stuff. I'd imagine a lot of people would be put off buying it because it would seem like a waste without the sequels. And really if I as going to buy something like that I guess I'd rather have it on blu-ray now, but the price and the lack of me having any HD technology would put that on hold. Are there going to be two blu-ray versoins the same as the regular ones?
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Mr Anderson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:14 am

I'd consider a directors cut, but I will never buy the theatrical version.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby jessia » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:38 am

i would wait for a director's cut too. i think i was more of an intense fan around 2005 because i tried to get a lot of the NT film merchandise (books, not souvenirs even though there were cool ones). now i'm a student and have to think about expenses and not-my-favourite-movie is not going to be a dvd i'd consider especially when i don't even own dvds for my favourite films. i've spent a lot of money on pullman already and various promo objects for the film are souvenir enough for me.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby ihatethis99in » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:52 am

While I want to hold out for the Director's Cut DVD, which will include the ending if TSK is not made. :twisted:

BUT

I'm weak enough to end up buying the Theatrical Version on a whim if I see it in a store - I cannot say anything in my defense except that I'm weak! :P
ihatethis99in
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:23 pm

I WILL BUY THE DVD!

I loved the film, so that seems like the logical thing to do.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby bharned1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:41 am

I'm getting a directors cut, regardless of sequels. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I still liked it enough that I'll spend the extra money.
Tommorow we will sweat and toil, our hands will quiver caked with soil.
Tommorow we'll give it one last chance,
but tonight we dance, but tonight we dance!
-Rise Against, But Tonight We Dance
bharned1
Zalif

Postby Luca » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:02 pm

I certainly will.
So tell me now, o tell me this: a forest’s son, a river’s daughter, a willow wand, a will-o-wisp.
Our ghosts will wander all of the water.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby Grumman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:52 pm

jessia wrote:i would wait for a director's cut too. i think i was more of an intense fan around 2005 because i tried to get a lot of the NT film merchandise (books, not souvenirs even though there were cool ones). now i'm a student and have to think about expenses and not-my-favourite-movie is not going to be a dvd i'd consider especially when i don't even own dvds for my favourite films. i've spent a lot of money on pullman already and various promo objects for the film are souvenir enough for me.

Just as you, I remain a fan of Pullman as a writer. From the cinema point of view, I think there are much better movies to buy. However, if there's some interesting additional material, such as the ending they cut, I'd consider renting it.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby daemon_light » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:08 pm

I will buy the theatrical DVD... and this is why: Better DVD sales for the movie will better gurantee a Director's Cut at all. I can always give my theatrical one away once the director's cut comes out... and it better! :shock:
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby TheKnifeBearer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:40 pm

I will probably be getting it as I didn't see it when it was on the cinema (nobody wanted to go and see it) and I want to see what all the fuss is about.

Even better if they add some extras on but I probably would get the Directors Cut if I enjoyed the film on the original DVD.

Suicide Penguin!

XBox Live Gamertag: ShadowWesker44 - Add Me!!! 8)
TheKnifeBearer
Zalif

Postby advo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:15 pm

I did like the movie, but I'll wait for the Director's version if it's more alike Weitz's original version - pre-cuts without the ending - because I don't want to see the ending! I want to see the ending in The Subtle Knife!

Did anyone read what Ian McKellen said about the sequels?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/ian_mckellen_offers_updates_on_the_hobbit_and_golden_compass
advo
Gyptian

Postby Blossom » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:07 am

advo wrote:I did like the movie, but I'll wait for the Director's version if it's more alike Weitz's original version - pre-cuts without the ending - because I don't want to see the ending! I want to see the ending in The Subtle Knife!

Did anyone read what Ian McKellen said about the sequels?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/ian_mckellen_offers_updates_on_the_hobbit_and_golden_compass

Ian McKellen is definitely one of those actors there is no comparison for. I am sure many of you will say Michael Gambon is in the same realm, but I must say that had Gambon been cast as either Gandalf or as the voice of the ice bear Iorek Byrnison in The Golden Compass both roles would have taken on drastically different tones.

Dear God, imagine Gambon as Gandalf :shock:

McKellen wrote:I havent yet heard about any sequels although they must be planned to follow the book's story through. If they don't happen, I can honestly say I can't bear it.

lol.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby AUST » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Mr Anderson wrote:I'd consider a directors cut, but I will never buy the theatrical version.

Yep-agreed. The theatrical version would be awful.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby daemon_light » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:12 am

Blossom wrote:Dear God, imagine Gambon as Gandalf :shock:

Yeah... that'd be weird. Think of Mckellan as Dumbledore though. That'd be bad too, I'd think. I think Gambon is a really wonderful actor though, and REALLY does suit the last few Harry Potter movies. I think that Richard Harris was fantastic as Dumbledore in the first two and those two suited him, but I can't see him doing all the physical stuff (i.e. Voldemort vs. Dumbledore) in the last few. I think Gambon's drastically different and darker take on Dumbledore is quite refreshing and suiting.

McKellen wrote:I havent yet heard about any sequels although they must be planned to follow the book's story through. If they don't happen, I can honestly say I can't bear it.

lol.[/quote]

haha! I noticed that too... :P
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Blossom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:34 pm

daemon_light wrote:
Blossom wrote:Dear God, imagine Gambon as Gandalf :shock:

Yeah... that'd be weird. Think of Mckellan as Dumbledore though. That'd be bad too, I'd think. I think Gambon is a really wonderful actor though, and REALLY does suit the last few Harry Potter movies. I think that Richard Harris was fantastic as Dumbledore in the first two and those two suited him, but I can't see him doing all the physical stuff (i.e. Voldemort vs. Dumbledore) in the last few. I think Gambon's drastically different and darker take on Dumbledore is quite refreshing and suiting.

You must be one of th few people who like him in Harry Potter. He's a rubbish actor, he's admitted himself he just does things the way he'd react to them. That's not acting...And everyone on the LotR team seemed really passionate about the books. He wouldn't have bothered to read them.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby jasman71 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:03 pm

I expect I shall get it, around about release time. Is the 29th the same date for release globally, or just in the UK?

I also wonder if there'll be any increase in merchandise sales again at the time of release?

I expect Weitz' commentary could include reasons for the cuts, or equally he may not mention them at all.If he does mention them then surely he'll have to show them, so he'll probably just comment on what he (and the viewer) is seeing. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised to see another commentary, say from the VFX team, but I hope they don't go mad with them, I have no interest in hearing what wood was used to build the sets or what shade green was used for the cgi..

As for any LOTR-esque extended, director's, final, definitely final, special edition versions that may come out in the future, yeah I'd get them too, but I'm trying to decide if it would be better for them to release these longer versions after all three were done, or individually upon completion of each movie. In the case of the former, (for non-HDM readers) you'd have seen the whole story, and any more missing bits from the first 2 movies could seem pointless. But in the latter there would have to be some real good incentives to go out spend no doubt more money on a special disc.

Still, that's never stopped Bladerunner from being released in many editions, one again last year.

Anyway, a month to go, guys. :D
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby Midnighttosix » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:16 am

jasman71 wrote:Still, that's never stopped Bladerunner from being released in many editions, one again last year.

Yes, but Blade Runner is one of the best science fiction films ever made, directed by a master at his creative peak. Much the same can't be said for The Golden Compass unfortunately.
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Blossom wrote:You must be one of th few people who like him in Harry Potter.

I like him. Richard Harris was far too twee for my liking.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations