The Republic of Heaven

M: The sequels' news thread

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: The sequels' news thread

Postby spyfly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:07 pm

I have a number of friends within the industry, many of whom worked on the TGC, and the word is that the sequels are definitely not going ahead. Most of the sets have now been destroyed and the general props sold on to rental houses. Apologies if already posted.
Last edited by spyfly on Fri May 09, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spyfly
Grazer

Re: The Sequels NOT happening

Postby Energy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:56 pm

spyfly wrote:I have a number of friends within the industry, many of whom worked on the TGC, and the word is that the sequels are definitely not going ahead. Most of the sets have now been destroyed and the general props sold on to rental houses. Apologies if already posted.

Have to say that generally sets do get destroyed, regardless of sequel or no sequel. Similar with most props. Example being hagrids hut in harry potter, that's been built every time for 5 films :/ And tbh there are very few sets that would be revisited anyway. While insider info saying the sequels will not be made (which is premature till after DVD sales have been analysed) is one thing, accounting the sets being broken up and props etc as proof is unlikely to be correct.

Chances of a sequel being made are very much in the balance, and probably tilting towards the unlikely. If the film was a huge sucsess then they would already of started production, however it's now a decission based upon whether warner can get out of the stupid contracts that New Line put the series on.
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
Roar! Why should I help some little girl? Roar!
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: LinkinEnergy

Postby Philharmonic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Well, I think...oh....errrmmm.....whatever Energy said :oops:

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby spyfly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 am

I completely understand that, I work within the industry, but items like Scoresby's balloon which was mothballed immediately filming wrapped for use on the sequels was one of the first items skipped.

Just passing it on.
spyfly
Grazer

Postby Energy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:15 am

spyfly wrote:I completely understand that, I work within the industry, but items like Scoresby's balloon which was mothballed immediately filming wrapped for use on the sequels was one of the first items skipped.

Just passing it on.

Don't get me wrong. I do believe you :)
I just wouldn't say it's a definitive cert yet. Though I admit it's unlikely.
If DVD sales are good in the states it could make a big difference. We'll see.
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Jahoga » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Maybe someone should redo it. Either that, or continue this one.........I just want SOMETHING to happen.
Jahoga
Grazer

Postby Energy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Jahoga wrote:Maybe someone should redo it. Either that, or continue this one.........I just want SOMETHING to happen.

Well then get everyone to buy the DVD, get pertitons going, get writing letters to New Lines new owners...
As much as we hate to think of it like that, GC is a franchise, and only money makes franchises continue.

Either that - or as fans we remake the film heheh
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Lera » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:47 pm

"Goldan Compass" is a real beautiful film, but no more. It is BEAUTIFUL, with good 3D effects. I think that film is a good addendum to "His Dark Materials", but not a good work by itself. There is no the main idea in film. "HDM" is a great trilogy, better than Harry Potter, and of course better than Narnia. It's only my oppinion. If in the next films the director doesn't plan to show us the real story like in the trilogy, I don't think it is necessary to make continuation.
Pain - The Same Old Song
Lera
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: ermolaevavaleria@yahoo.com

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:43 pm

They knew the sequels weren't going to be made when they released the movie. The HDM movies could have and should have been epic but they messed it up...they've no one to blame but themselves.
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby SpiralGenesis » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 pm

New Line had caught themselves in a catch 22 with this film from the very begining. They had to cut it so that it was internally consistant enough to stand as a single movie, in case they didn't make enough to run the whole trilogy, BUT by cutting it up the way they did, they reduced their audience.
HDM wasn't really the series to take on with a particularly limited budget.
SpiralGenesis
Grazer

Postby Grumman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:34 pm

There are more reasons that the financial return why this isn't a good moment to film the sequels. Maybe the whole project will be taken by somebody else in a generation or so, with a different more liberal environment. As I wrote elsewhere, WN didn't buy New Line to make their same mistakes.
Last edited by Grumman on Sat May 10, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby namster » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:49 am

Energy wrote:Well then get everyone to buy the DVD, get pertitons going, get writing letters to New Lines new owners...
As much as we hate to think of it like that, GC is a franchise, and only money makes franchises continue.

Either that - or as fans we remake the film heheh

I second that.

Mod Edit: Animation debate merged into what about an animated His Dark Materials?
namster
Gyptian

Postby spyfly » Fri May 09, 2008 2:48 pm

I have just had an update. Things are suddenly looking more positive. More to follow when I have it. :D
spyfly
Grazer

Postby Pagdzin tulku » Fri May 09, 2008 4:01 pm

spyfly wrote:I have just had an update. Things are suddenly looking more positive. More to follow when I have it. :D

:D
Any word why things are looking more positive?
My daemon is Eurasta. Her favourite forms are the Raccoon, Beagle (dog), and Otter. I think she'll settle as a Hare, or Squirrel...
Pagdzin tulku
Zalif

Postby Energy » Fri May 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Pagdzin tulku wrote:
spyfly wrote:I have just had an update. Things are suddenly looking more positive. More to follow when I have it. :D

be patient I don't think this guys is not gonna tell us if he knows for sure :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Lipan » Fri May 09, 2008 5:00 pm

anxiously awaiting this update then :mrgreen:
Lipan
Grazer

Postby L and M » Fri May 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks for the note, spyfly! *Crosses fingers, and waits, patiently*.
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Re: The Sequels NOT happening NEW UPDATE!

Postby Silversnake » Fri May 09, 2008 5:45 pm

It is? It isn't! It is? It isn't!!!!!

AHHHHHH I'm annoyed by the fact that there is no real evidence but ill just have to wait and see i guess :shifty: .
Spoiler:
Nothing to see here move along, no seriously. Is my signature THAT exciting?! IS IT!??!! Heheh... You can go away now... Seriously... Hey... I wonder how long a asignature can be, as long as its in spoiler tags... Im gonna find out... But I need to write somthing in the mean time... Well here is a piece of information I found about duck, YAAAY DUCKS:
Duck is the common name for a number of species in the Anatidae family of birds. The ducks are divided between several subfamilies listed in full in the Anatidae article. Ducks are mostly aquatic birds, mostly smaller than their relatives the swans and geese, and may be found in both fresh water and sea water.

Ducks are sometimes confused with several types of unrelated water birds with similar forms, such as loons or divers, grebes, gallinules, and coots.
Hehehe, now back to my signature. Well I have nothing more to say. I hope you enjoyed reading this you nosy person you.
Silversnake
Zalif

Postby namster » Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 pm

Even this paper-thin scrap of hope makes me a happier bear.

*strokes my flimsy puppet daemon*
namster
Gyptian

Postby Northen_Lights » Thu May 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Energy wrote:
Pagdzin tulku wrote:

be patient I don't think this guys is not gonna tell us if he knows for sure :)

Any idea why things are looking more positive? At all? :)
Spoiler:
Boo.
Northen_Lights
Gyptian

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations