The Republic of Heaven

M: Restored Ending (on youtube)

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: Restored Ending (on youtube)

Postby Energy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:11 am

Hey all
- i mentioned this in the deleted scenes thread, however I thought more would be interested if I made a new thread. Today I've been procastinating from my dissertation and made a 7:50 video of the true ending of the Golden Compass. This video uses clips from trailers, the game, and the preproduction video. I've tried to piece all the bits together into a video telling you the ending. I hope you enjoy.

It's very rough, and I'm wanting your help. If you have any other clips, any suggestions or info about the scene then let me know. The audio is quite rough too... but I've done my best to tie it all together.

If there is any demand I'll upload a downloadable version :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-HDjGM0lwE

UPDATE------------
FINAL VERSION
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6javLIDqg
Last edited by Energy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
Roar! Why should I help some little girl? Roar!
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: LinkinEnergy

Re: Restored Ending

Postby Somewhat » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:56 am

*Protracted clapping, cheering and stamping of feet*
You, sir, are brilliant. A credit to your procrastinatory skills! :D
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby karina » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:13 am

extremely nice, good job. :wink:
karina
Grazer

Postby bee » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:58 am

That's terrific! Great job. It makes such a great ending... shouldn't've been cut.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby jasman71 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 am

Oh boy, give this guy an award. Very good (and a heck of a way to start the day by watching this! *sniff*)

How could selected preview audiences found this too confusing? Nice warm and cosy ending much better, eh?
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby Jahoga » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:51 am

I just don't see the whole reason of why they cut this out. It makes absolutely no sense.
Jahoga
Grazer

Postby kincuri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:18 am

Wow!

For some reason, I've resisted watching some of the removed footage, but that was wonderful!

Thank You!
kincuri
Zalif

Postby Energy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 am

I'm glad you guys like it :)

Hope people don't mind - i've changed the title a little to encourage people to come on so that they can help add to the clip. Even a second of footage is valuable.

As mentioned in the deleted scenes thread, i'm slowly trying to get together all the deleted footage from the film that we know of. So we can archive what exsists. :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Restored Ending (on youtube)

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:49 pm

A fantastic piece of work!
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Gabe » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:42 pm

Awesome work man! :D

I assume you already have the directly ripped game cutscenes, but if not I can get the original high-res ones directly from the game.
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Roll_with_it » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Well, I was never a fan of those original storyboards and I will maintain that. But although it is very rough, you did a fantastic job. That's likely as good as anyone is going to get. Well done.
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Energy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 pm

Gabrobot wrote:Awesome work man! :D

I assume you already have the directly ripped game cutscenes, but if not I can get the original high-res ones directly from the game.

No I'm currently using some mp4 rips. Not particularly great. So the full hires ones would be good. I have the game on the 360, but I'm not able to rip the video due to my capture card not like my 360 for some unknown reason lol.

:)

Roll_with_it wrote:Well, I was never a fan of those original storyboards and I will maintain that. But although it is very rough, you did a fantastic job. That's likely as good as anyone is going to get. Well done.

They're not the best - but then again they did what they needed to do. However it's interesting to see how much more violent the bridge to the stars is in the movie compared to the one in the preproduction video. I just find it interesting.
Last edited by krebbe on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post merged - use the edit button
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby namster » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:37 am

Thanks for the video! You edited it well, considering how much you had to splice at times.

There are still a couple more scenes missing:

1) Asriel saying "You have no idea what's at stake!" with the light of the other world shining around his head, from TV spot 3 and 5 http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/photogr ... 2.jpg.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b116-MDcktI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P11HKd3dSUU

2) A 2-second clip of Asriel in his prison, pointing to the Aurora outside his window, talking to Lyra, with the binocular telescope in the left foreground. I haven't been able to find it again, but it's during one of the specials for Entertainment Tonight or something. I pray somebody can remember where this was shown! It's on-line somewhere!

3) Also, some of the scenes seem out of order. The movie books imply that the golden monkey reaches for Pan after Coulter tries to lure Lyra (a fissure in the glacier subsequently separates the two of them).

4) Have you considered adding the dialogue from the trailers ("I'll never be yours!")?

I hope you find the missing clip of Asriel's prison somewhere, and best of luck for your next video.

(by the way, where in blazes did my Avatar go???)
namster
Gyptian

Postby jessia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:47 am

great work energy! i think i would've been content with the film even if there were no sequels if it had ended properly. before i knew of TSK, i thought TGC was a very whole and complete story. right now, the only desire i have for TSK to be filmed is so that the story can be fully told or fixed somehow.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Energy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:31 am

namster wrote:Thanks for the video! You edited it well, considering how much you had to splice at times.

There are still a couple more scenes missing:

Hey thanks for the info -
1) is the only clip i knew I was missing. I was just looking for better quality before I put it in. I can now get resonbly decent off youtube, but it would of been nice to find better.

2) Sounds a really nice clip to have. I'll be on the look out for it, if anyone has an idea where this is give a shout.

3) I tend to agree and that maybe addressed in the next version. The way it was put as-is was due to the storyboard. I know it was wrong, because that looks like it's particuarly a part that has changed.

4) I have, and I've been playing around with it, the problem is the background music, it becomes something that jerks you out of the video. The again this is more to show the footage than to actually be the full ending.

I'm currently looking for a video that appears on quite a few torrent sites - it's the T4 movie special on the golden compass. I've tried many torrent sites, lots still have the link but no seeders or they're password protected. If anyone saw this show, was there any footage worth chasing? Do you have it? If you do can you hit me up and see if I can arrange something?

jessia wrote:great work energy! i think i would've been content with the film even if there were no sequels if it had ended properly. before i knew of TSK, i thought TGC was a very whole and complete story. right now, the only desire i have for TSK to be filmed is so that the story can be fully told or fixed somehow.

I tend to agree... least we would have got one complete book. ATM we're still 3 chapters short.

--- sorry didn't use the edit button cause this is going to get confusing as is! lol
UPDATE: The shot with Asriel looking out at the *yet to be finished* northern lights / auror, is in the sizzle reel, along with a differnt close up of Asriel talking in his room. Unfortunatly the close up has the words 'Daniel Craig' over the bottom third of the shot. I could crop it out, but it may look pretty ugly. Opinions? - though I'm now working on a new version with the two new shots and looking at bringing in the extra dialogue from the film, plus the revision of placement for the Pan vs Golden Monkey scene.

-- other question: do I use the darker clips of lyra walking over the bridge... the ones in the film have been colour corrected to not look so forboding... here's some pics of the bridge and the new scenes discussed:

^ Ice bridge in the trailers (notice colour)

^ Ice bridge that appears in the film (again notice colour)

^ Image of the no idea of what's at stake (audio I have to this clip is bbaaaaadddd... but the phrase is used in one of the earlier trailers

^ Asriel in observetry close up

^ Asriel pointing at the northern lights
Last edited by krebbe on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post merged - use the edit button
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby namster » Sun May 11, 2008 2:41 am

Energy wrote:Unfortunatly the close up has the words 'Daniel Craig' over the bottom third of the shot. I could crop it out, but it may look pretty ugly. Opinions?

I'm not too hot on the close-up pic, but the "Asriel points to the northern lights" pic is awesome and simply must be included.

I just re-watched your video:
1) the scene where Asriel activates his machine is very well edited. Bravo! Your sense of chronology overall is commendable.
2) the scene where Asriel and Coulter kiss is missing some parts for some reason. Seems to cut very abruptly to dialogue instead of continuing with the storyboards. It'd be nice to see it in full!

Looking forward to your next vid, Energy!
namster
Gyptian

Postby Energy » Wed May 14, 2008 10:36 am

Thanks for the feedback namster :)

I have started work on a new version, but it's been slow due to me just finishing my degree (only two exams to go!). I just got the 2 Disc dvd (really after that best buy 3rd disc but being in the uk it's hard to get). I was hoping to get some new shots with the DVD but looks like there is little new on there.

I am also starting to get together shots that are not from the ending. Building up a film clip that covers deleted scenes that don't appear in the film. So if anyone wants to help with that it'd be great.

I just watched the scene with asriel in the north and the samoyied hunters, and I feel it's possibly one of the worst scenes in the film. If your ex had sent some people after you, why would you call her 'that damn coutler woman'. Also the whole script seems way to forced in that scene... more than in other places. He could of not said anything, gets shot at, runs, and exclaimed something like 'samoyied hunters... this wreaks of coutler'. Would at least seem a bit more believeable.
meh just wanted a rant! lol
^_^
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby sfsraffie » Wed May 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Yeah, I hated that scene the second time around also. Though I did put it on the cut list before then:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=206183

Something about his hair looks off, as though he got a partial buzz cut. Definitely doesn't match the above picks. And is his "we can discuss this like gentlemen" line supposed to be funny? Either way, it's pretty dumb.

Good luck on exams! I just had one yesterday.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby skywaterblue » Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 am

I love it! I'll wait for the next version before pimping it on my LJ, but I third the comment that "I'm not yours, I'll never be yours!" needs to be added back in. I might cut a lot of the 'I love a bear better than my own father' dialog for that unless someone can prove to me it made it to film.

Meanwhile: the uncolor-corrected bridge would be better but alas, we probably don't have the complete scene do we? Unless you want to redarken it in aftereffects.
skywaterblue
Grazer

Postby Northen_Lights » Thu May 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Very nice bit of work, although it's true that some clips are a little bit out of order. :D
Spoiler:
Boo.
Northen_Lights
Gyptian

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations