The Republic of Heaven

M: The Golden Compass has been voted worst film adaptation

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: The Golden Compass has been voted worst film adaptation

Postby AncientOfDays » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:12 am

Full article:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a951 ... .html?imdb

Not very good news at all. I know it's just a survey, but it's still a little disheartening.
"This is ridiculous!"
"This, madam, is Versailles..."
AncientOfDays
Gallivespian Spy

Re: The Golden Compass has been voted the worst film adaptation.

Postby Blossom » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:45 am

Psh, it's just because it's a recent film and still in people's minds. There have been worse adaptations (Tales from Earthsea is the first thing that springs to my mind from recent years, and anything based on a video game). Although what are they basing this list on? Bad films based on books, or books that didn't very faithfully adapt from the source material? Because Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my fave films. Sure it's full of Chinese people who don't look the slightest bit Japanese, but apart from that, great film.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:23 pm

tbh, i can't tell the difference between japanese and chinese people. Anyway, what the hell is this all about? I mean, apart from some of Chris Weitz's poor additions like the zeppelin scene with the description of the Magesterium, and other things that he can't just accept that we can figure out for ourselves-I really hope Weitz is reading this round about now cos I want him to know how I, and several other people feel-, not to mention DELETING THE LAST THREE SCENES! WHAT THE HELL MAN! I mean, he had an excuse-he says 'I want the next film to start off with someone we know (Lyra), rather than a complete stranger (Will)' but it still didn't work out-anyways, apart from that, and screwing around the order of events, it was a good adaptation.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby EngineerScholar » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:58 pm

I just saw the whole list (http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20196409,00.html), and frankly didn't think too much of it. Although I certainly believe The Golden Compass was flawed, I certainly would not have called it the 'worst film adaptation'. I thought that the somewhat recent Cruise-Spielburg adaptation of War of the Worlds was far, far worse than The Golden Compass. I am sure that without too much effort, the posters on this forum could come up with a better list of 'bad adaptations.'

Engineer Scholar
EngineerScholar
Grazer

Postby Ayanna » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:04 pm

Well, I still think WOTW was great, but yeah it's nothing like the book but who cares, great movie. But concerning The Golden Compass, it was a bad adaption, but I can't honestly say if it can be called the worst. I am disappointed with what was done with it, even before it was made when I heard about the religious content being removed, I already thought then it was going to be crap, and I wasn't far wrong. I think I like the film just because of the book still. If I did not know the book beforehand, I doubt I would have thought twice on the movie. It did not effect me at all, but the books did.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Ayanna
Zalif

Postby Kyrillion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:27 am

I mean, apart from some of Chris Weitz's poor additions like the zeppelin scene with the description of the Magesterium, and other things that he can't just accept that we can figure out for ourselves

That was actually one of my favourite moments! I thought it and a couple of other touches like it showed Weitz could be a really good scriptwriter (I also liked the other conversation between Lyra and Mrs. Coulter after Lyra wakes up in Bolvangar).

My problems with the film were myriad but didn;t include the fact that the religious angle was lost (because it's barely there in NL) - in fact I felt that in a curious way it was emphasised from the book: the religious motivation might never have been named on screen but the Magesterium had an on-screen presence unlike in the book and their role as supporters of the GOB was played up.

I thought this scene was really nicely written in introuducing the hypocrisy of the Magesterium without making their despotic tendancies too obvious - you can almost agree that they are a benign force from the way MC describes them. I loved Mrs. Coulter saying that Lyra had been living in an ivory tower, too. Most of the in this film expositon and explanation felt clunky and boring to me. This was one of the few instances where I felt important information was conveyed in a scene that also was interesting to watch in terms of character and relationship. Finally, I thought Mrs. Coulter was too immediately obvious as evil in her early scenes, but in the zeppelin there's more of the Mrs. Coulter from the book - so wise and intelligent and informed as well as glamorous and daring, that Lyra can't help but be enthralled.

It's only a little moment, I know, but it's just one of few for me that really felt like good adapting - articulating in film terms what a book has other devices to convey.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby Gabe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:05 am

My first reaction was confusion, but after looking through the article I think I see where it's coming from. As the article says, it's the most disappointing, which means that even if some of the other movies were worse movies or poorer adaptations, they weren't necessarily as high profile as the movies higher on the list. I still think the list is flawed, but given that perspective it makes more sense.
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Philharmonic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:39 pm

After reading the whole list, I found that it actually goes in order of release, from most recent to oldest.

Still don't think TGC was that bad though

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby daemon_light » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Kyrillion wrote:[The zeppelin scene] was actually one of my favourite moments! I thought it and a couple of other touches like it showed Weitz could be a really good scriptwriter (I also liked the other conversation between Lyra and Mrs. Coulter after Lyra wakes up in Bolvangar).
It's only a little moment, I know, but it's just one of few for me that really felt like good adapting - articulating in film terms what a book has other devices to convey.

Ditto... two REALLY good character scenes. I love seeing the hypocrisy of the Church so blatantly, but yet so cleverly placed. Also really thought that Coulter telling Lyra she was her mother was also more effective cinematically.

About Mrs. Coulter being to evil early on... I agree with you in some regards. I think a main flaw, was showing the monkey with Coulter first, AND THEN showing the monkey alone attacking the kids. It would have been better if the attack had been a little more seductive rather than wild... so with that in mind I think they should have gone with the original "Roger getting attacked alone" scene.
But I thought the scene showing MC laughing with Lyra when she sprayed perfume on herself showed a really realistic, charming moment between the two.

Golden Compass is CERTAINLY not the worst adaptation... in fact, not even close. Look at Eragon or the upcoming Inkheart and Journey to the Centre of the Earth (which are sure to be disastors.) Blanking on others, but that is ridiculous.
People forget how HARD a film this is to make given the material.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby L and M » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:36 pm

The only thing I can say is that GC is NOT the worst film adaptions, there most certainly are worse...in my opinion. This is just a survey. :)
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby Yrael » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:31 pm

What a load of crap!
The Da Vinci code was soo soo sooooooooo much worse than TGC!
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby daemon_light » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:46 pm

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:What a load of crap!

Yes... Series of Unfortunate Events also comes to mind. Although not a bad movie, not paticularly faithful or as good as it could have been either. I still say Tim Burton should have made the series in his NMBC and CB animation technique.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Yrael » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:53 pm

daemon_light wrote: the series in his NMBC and CB animation technique.
owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:What a load of crap!

Yes... Series of Unfortunate Events also comes to mind. Although not a bad movie, not paticularly faithful or as good as it could have been either. I still say Tim Burton should have made the series in his NMBC and CB animation technique.

NMBC and CB, what are those? :oops:
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby EngineerScholar » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:10 pm

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:NMBC and CB, what are those? :oops:

I think daemon Light was referring to 'Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'Corpse Bride'..

Engineer Scholar
EngineerScholar
Grazer

Postby daemon_light » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:57 pm

EngineerScholar wrote:

I think dæmon Light was referring to 'Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'Corpse Bride'..

Engineer Scholar

Right you are! Sorry owatts... didn't feel like writing them out.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Ayanna » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:25 pm

I watched the film last night and indeed, Mrs Coulter did seem to go from sneaky but nice to moody cow far too quickly. A lot of the film was rushed, I just wanted to jump into the screen and shout 'WOAH!!! Take it easy!!' It just was too choppy, but to say it's the worst adaption I think is taking it a stretch too far. I wish I could've seen this film having not read the books to determine what my thoughts of it would have been. I felt disappointed but mainly because I know the book. Most of all though, I think if it was half an hour longer, it would have done it the world of good. More space to breath rather than this feeling of fastforward that seems constant through the film.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Ayanna
Zalif

Postby bharned1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 am

The Golden Compass is NOT the worst adaptation ever. Look at Beowulf. Not only did it completely butcher the plot in ways that Chris Weitz could never dream off, but it used CG to cover over what were otherwise good actors. On top of it all, the CG was simply AWFUL. I have videogames that look better than that movie did. I actually liked the Golden Compass movie, even if it did have some nasty flaws. Beowulf easily takes the cake for worst adaptation in the history of humankind.
Tommorow we will sweat and toil, our hands will quiver caked with soil.
Tommorow we'll give it one last chance,
but tonight we dance, but tonight we dance!
-Rise Against, But Tonight We Dance
bharned1
Zalif

Postby Ayanna » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:36 pm

I have to disagree about the Beowulf part, indeed it wasn't like the poem, but for what it was meant to be then I thought it was good, and the CGI was brave, at times it looked good, at times it didn't, but that applies to any film whether CGI or not.
Ayanna
Zalif

Postby Yrael » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:37 pm

daemon_light wrote:
EngineerScholar wrote:

I think dæmon Light was referring to 'Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'Corpse Bride'..

Engineer Scholar

Right you are! Sorry owatts... didn't feel like writing them out.

No problamo! I just don't always understand it when people only use the First letters of the words in names.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby jonnyburns1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:50 am

naaa eragon was a terrible film adaptation they didnt put the plot in
jonnyburns1
Grazer

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations