The Republic of Heaven

M: Sequel or Director's Cut?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: Sequel or Director's Cut?

Postby Roll_with_it » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:08 pm

What would you rather have?

If you look at nigh on every post on this board, everybody is shouting about how badly they want a sequel but I just can't see it happening. The risks of sequels far outweigh the benefits and it's too big a task to pull off. How would they market it? Which Joe Public would get excited about it after thinking TGC was mediocre? I can just see it becoming another "darker" fantasy sequel.

I would much rather see a Director's cut. From what I see, I honestly think Weitz's original cut, or at least the script, was a much better film and it is this I would much rather see.

These are just my thoughts though, what do you all think?
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Sequel or Director's Cut?

Postby Philharmonic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:19 pm

A sequel, seeing as the end will be in that anyway

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Energy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Hard call. In the end I would like to see the whole story. But I'd like to see the whole story done well. I think the directors cut would be instrumental in that. The directors cut is not just about reinserting the end (which if a sequel is going to be made then is unlikely to happen anyway), it's about rebuilding the structure of the rest of the film.

Plain and simply, if they release a directors cut without the ending and then release TSK & ASG I'm going to stick the bridge to the stars on the end of the golden compass and watch my version not theirs! lol
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
Roar! Why should I help some little girl? Roar!
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: LinkinEnergy

Postby Philharmonic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:46 pm

yeh, i've seen that-its good apart from all the bits knocked out. Was it because you couldn't find them or the ten minute limit on youtube?

still good though

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Aurone » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 pm

Frankly I'll settle for either right now.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Luca » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 am

I'd rather have a sequel than a DC of TGC. No doubt about it.
So tell me now, o tell me this: a forest’s son, a river’s daughter, a willow wand, a will-o-wisp.
Our ghosts will wander all of the water.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby L and M » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:38 pm

I would rather have the next two films made, so as to complete the story. But I wouldnt half mind a DC, though.
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby jessia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:07 am

i think i'd rather a director's cut. i'm just less invested in blockbusters these days i think...
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Mockingbird » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:19 am

That's a new twist on a Hobson's choice, isn't it? At this point, it seems like we could get a director's cut or nothing at all. But if there were a real choice, I would also choose a director's cut. I'd rather see one complete film than three mangled ones.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby jessia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 am

Mockingbird wrote:I'd rather see one complete film than three mangled ones.

exactly.

i'm also a bigger fan of the restoration of artistic freedom than pullman making more money than he needs to (he's comfy, that's cool).

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby daemon_light » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:31 am

I want both. But I think a sequel would BRING a director's cut... so I'll go with sequel because I think it's our best chance at getting a director's cut. :wink:
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby jessia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:57 am

why would a sequel bring a director's cut. it was new line's belief that the sequel could hang off the mangled ending...

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby daemon_light » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:34 am

If the franchise is more prone to bring in money, which it probably will if there are sequels, then they're more likely to invest in letting Weitz do his director's cut...

Dee said herself right now it seems we're faced with the option of director's cut or nothing. If Subtle Knife is given the go-ahead, then they'll most DEFINENTLY have an extended edition made. I mean, look at Narnia. It got one and it didn't even need it as badly as this film.

Whatever, I'm not really going to worry about the director's cut anymore... if it happens, great, but if it doesn't, oh well. So, in other words, I'd rather see a sequel.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Lipan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 am

I think what I want the most is really a proper cut of Golden Compass (especially since its my favorite of the books)

I'm probably being too hopeful, but the thought of a full version (2h30 that Weitz mentioned + fixed order + entire ending) of TGC in a special collector's edition Blu-Ray set would make me so happy.

If Weitz and co. can find a way to give us that version of TGC while still using the ending in Subtle Knife, that would be the absolute best case scenario (perhaps not releasing the Extended Cut until TSK is out would be the only way that happens). Oh well, I can dream...
Lipan
Grazer

Postby daemon_light » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:45 am

Lipan wrote:If Weitz and co. can find a way to give us that version of TGC while still using the ending in Subtle Knife, that would be the absolute best case scenario (perhaps not releasing the Extended Cut until TSK is out would be the only way that happens). Oh well, I can dream...

Considering a Director's Cut would really be a love letter to the fans... I don't think it's totally out of the question. Since only the fans (for the most part) will be buying this edition (which is a lot of people mind you), they really could put the fixed ending in this Extended Edition and then begin Subtle Knife differently when IT comes out on and Extended Edition.

Hopefully, Weitz is on here looking at our posts and taking notes... in fact. PERHAPS, Weitz is working on DC for us this very moment. :roll:
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Mockingbird » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 pm

daemon_light wrote:Dee said herself right now it seems we're faced with the option of director's cut or nothing. If Subtle Knife is given the go-ahead, then they'll most DEFINENTLY have an extended edition made. I mean, look at Narnia. It got one and it didn't even need it as badly as this film.

I don't think a director's cut is always equivalent to an extended edition, I don't even think a director's cut is always the director's ideal cut.

If I understand the process correctly, a director's cut of The Golden Compass already exists in some form (so probably including the ending) because a cut with director-approved edits precedes an editor's cut and the final cut. I think that most studios prevent directors from releasing that version to the public.

I think that if a movie is successful, the studio will happily release an extended edition to milk more money out of the film (so probably without the ending, in our case), but if a director feels that his vision has been compromised, he would be more likely to release his own cut, if he can, without the backing of the studio. I'm not sure but I think that a director has to have some Hollywood muscle, like Ridley Scott does, to be able to do that.

So yeah, I think an extended edition could be a consequence of greenlit sequels, but I think a preferred director's cut would seem to signal, or follow from, a lack of sequels. (It's Di, by the way.)
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Kyrillion » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Roll_with_it wrote:What would you rather have?

If you look at nigh on every post on this board, everybody is shouting about how badly they want a sequel but I just can't see it happening. The risks of sequels far outweigh the benefits and it's too big a task to pull off. How would they market it? Which Joe Public would get excited about it after thinking TGC was mediocre? I can just see it becoming another "darker" fantasy sequel.

I would much rather see a Director's cut. From what I see, I honestly think Weitz's original cut, or at least the script, was a much better film and it is this I would much rather see.

These are just my thoughts though, what do you all think?

Same here - I'd much rather a DC. For one thing NL has always been my favourite installment of the the trilogy, but more importantly I've no desire to see two more films-by-numbers with the same production team as TGC.

It is a shame that what was good about TGC (the casting - for the most part - and the acting of those cast) will not continue but I'd rather have one film as good as its director could make it than three sub-par ones.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby daemon_light » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:06 am

Of course, I know I'm hoping for a lot here. But I'd hope that Weitz would be able to convince the studio to let him put the ending on the Director's Cut even if the sequels are made. Most of the ending can be found (via Youtube, clips, trailers, and video games) so it's not as if it's spoiling anything... Weitz said himself he hoped he'd be able to put the ending on the DC as a teaser for Subtle Knife. Whether that means putting it in the actual extended version or as a special feature, it sounds like Weitz wants to put the ending on because he KNOWS how upset the fans were and are about the change.

I really want to the see the story in it's entirety on screen... I'm almost certain that each film(especially Golden Compass) will benefit from the other two. Kate, you don't have to go and see them if you don't want to. :P Who says that when a film is a disappointment to some, it predestines it's predecessors to be disappointments as well? If they DO make the next two films right (and DON'T need a director's cut to make everyone happy :wink: ) then I feel that The Golden Compass will be looked at as a better movie BECAUSE it is connected to two incredible movies, (even if the first WAS my favorite book. :roll: )

P.S. Sorry, Di
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Yrael » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:33 pm

I instantly thought directors cut, but hte more i think about it, a sequel would be nice, but i think one whole film would be nice :)
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby tato » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:11 pm

i wanna all they can give us. a directors cut, with extended version - i cant figure how a movie like this have just 1 hour and 50 minutes. and the sequels, for sure. :D
tato
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations