The Republic of Heaven

M: Unused material of Desplat?

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

Re: Unused material of Desplat?

Postby green ink » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm sure there are unreleased portions of the score out there, but the question is how much of it is recorded. I don't quite remember exactly, but I think the recording of the score took place quite late in the game, so it's entirely possible that some of the music written for the original cut just wasn't played.
As for another cd with more of the music, the problem with that is the re-use fees would probably be far too high for that ever to be profitable. If the film had been as big as Lord of the Rings they might've released all the music, but well,
we all know how things went.
The chances of us ever hearing some of it are pretty slim. Maybe if it was recorded a bootleg might one day surface. This happened quite often with the scores of Jerry Goldsmith. And if Desplat owns the rights to the music perhaps it'll be performed at a concert someday (like at the film festival in Ghent).
And of course if the director's cut would ever be released.

It's a shame as I'm sure Desplat would have written a spectacular ending of the score. And I want the sequels as well, he's already written a theme for Lee Scoresby (would it be entirely too awesome if it would feature a banjo?).
As for the suitability of his music within the confines of fantasy films and The Golden Compass in particular. He didn't write the score I imagined the film to have (but then he isn't John Adams), but I think his music fit very well with Weitz's version of the story (version seems better than vision).
Franz Conrad is right about the Lawrence of Arabia moments (the beginning of the Lord Asriel cue springs to mind), those tried too hard to evoke something that wasn't on screen. I do remember liking the trinkly piano filled cue when they sail into a fyord at some point in the film (yeah, I know, not very specific).
And if there was a problem maybe with the bear fight cue then it probably was that it seemed written for something with faster editing.
Squirrel butts don't glow
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 pm

green ink wrote:he's already written a theme for Lee Scoresby (would it be entirely too awesome if it would feature a banjo?).

its on the soundtrack it think but not in the movie.
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Energy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:31 pm

While technically not 'unreleased' - while working on my reedit I've had to extract the background music of some scenes where the music does not appear on the soundtrack. This can't have all the sound effects and stuff removed but most of them can be - and the overal sound is usually very listenable. I never planned to make this public, but here is a sample mp3 mixdown of one of the tracks that I needed for the edit of the film I'm working on...

The Retiring Room

this could possibly be better - espscially if you got hold of the bluray 7.1 mix and were able to manipulate that, however this one will do and it's from the 5.1 mix. Not perfect as said, but just a proof of concept that worked well enough for me.
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
Roar! Why should I help some little girl? Roar!
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: LinkinEnergy

Postby TheRealNeo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Thank you very much. :D

EDIT: Wow, what an excited cue.
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Energy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:44 pm

TheRealNeo wrote:Thank you very much. :D

EDIT: Wow, what an excited cue.

no probs,

what do you mean about the excited cue? lol
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Dude… I’m a young orphan that lives under the care of her uncle who tries to prevent her from going on wild adventures to save the world until one day she acquires a mystical object, meets a wise older man that helps her understand the object, enlists the help of a cowboy-type person, and tries to understand a magical force that is present in all life. (pause) The only thing missing is Chewbacca, so pack your stuff and let’s go.
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:01 am

exciting piece of music. :D
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby TheRealNeo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:34 am

do you have some more additional music which wasn't on the cd?
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Energy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:16 am

TheRealNeo wrote:do you have some more additional music which wasn't on the cd?

I do - but mainly use it for my editing (which I watched through my first draft cut today... I'm already making changes!), I did this track up so people could hear what was there. If you have the film on DVD yourself - get DVD Decrypter - extract the audio (look up how to do this, I won't say how as this site isn't for it) and use the program AC3tools to convert it to WAV then play around with the resulting 6 layered wav file in an audio editor... fun fun
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:58 am

unfortunately i have no dvd-drive at my PC. :(
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Energy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:47 pm

TheRealNeo wrote:unfortunately i have no dvd-drive at my PC. :(

gonna have to find someone who does :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:56 pm

maybe when you have time you could upload some little pieces. :D
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Energy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:06 pm

TheRealNeo wrote:maybe when you have time you could upload some little pieces. :D

maybe one or two pieces more, but I'm concentrating on the video and not the audio. :)
POLAR BEAR IAN MCKELLEN
DAKOTA BLUE RICHARDS
Energy
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:04 am

No problem.
Thanks already.
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby tato » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:54 am

i just cannot stop of listening the "girl with a pear earring" soundtrack, its SO GOD, i think its his best work, until know, this piece of music have some things that could be put perfect in golden compass soundtrack, as the "new life", as example, perfect;
tato
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:49 pm

Energy wrote:
TheRealNeo wrote:maybe when you have time you could upload some little pieces. :D

maybe one or two pieces more, but I'm concentrating on the video and not the audio. :)

Now time to upload some more pieces? :D
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Re: M: Unused material of Desplat?

Postby AlexN94 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:45 pm

Does anyone knows, what music that is played in the "Definding Dæmons"? I don't think it is on the sound track or in the movie.
AlexN94
Grazer

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations