The Republic of Heaven

M: Chris Weitz moving on to new project

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: Chris Weitz moving on to new project

Postby green ink » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:09 am

Via New York's magazine Culture Vulture blog (the one that also ran the script reviews) I found out that Weitz is being rumoured to direct the sequels to a popular teen fantasy film based on a series of popular books.
Unfortunately it's not the books we were waiting for. But apparently he's in talks for directing the sequel to Twilight.
Since its director: Catherine Hardwicke, has been let go because she was supposedly impossible to work with.

Now far be it from me to comment on Weitz' taste in literature. The Twilight books seem absolute dreck, but Weitz does seem like a good choice for this.

So the chances for the sequels we want may have gone up. If he does commit to this, there's a good chance it could bring him a lot of succes>money>standing in Hollywood. Enough maybe to get The Subtle Knife off the ground.

Yes, he's had tremendous success working with tweens and teens (About A Boy as director and writer, American Pie as producer and uncredited director). But Chris Weitz also did The Golden Compass (as writer and director), and my source says Summit Entertainment liked the look of that even if it didn't heat up the domestic box office

Full article here: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/source-twilight-sequel-offer-out-to-director-chris-weitz/
Squirrel butts don't glow
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Chris Weitz moving on to new project

Postby sfsraffie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:21 am

Good grief. A Mormonism-infused trashy book series with a pathetic, helpless female antagonist? Really, Chris? If you do it for a big paycheck, I'll understand, but for pete's sake have some dignity and use part of the dough to complete a TGC Director's Cut if you do. Finishing the effects may not be cheap, but as they'd only have to be dvd/blu-ray quality, I'm sure they'd be doable for a few mil, and what else could Warners be waiting for?

Ugh.

As for the sequels: give it up, friend. They ain't happening. Even if Warners wanted to do them after Weitz Twilight movies, those guys clearly want to make several movies at once, meaning that'd be years down the raod. I'm sure that the sequel clauses in Craig's and Kidman's contracts would expire after a while, DBR'd be way too old, and, and... yeah. Not gonna happen.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:33 am

I hope he doesn't forget now the director's cut of the golden compass. :(
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby green ink » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:55 am

sfsraffie wrote:Good grief. A Mormonism-infused trashy book series with a pathetic, helpless female antagonist? Really, Chris? If you do it for a big paycheck, I'll understand, but for pete's sake have some dignity and use part of the dough to complete a TGC Director's Cut if you do. Finishing the effects may not be cheap, but as they'd only have to be dvd/blu-ray quality, I'm sure they'd be doable for a few mil, and what else could Warners be waiting for?

Ugh.

As for the sequels: give it up, friend. They ain't happening. Even if Warners wanted to do them after Weitz Twilight movies, those guys clearly want to make several movies at once, meaning that'd be years down the raod. I'm sure that the sequel clauses in Craig's and Kidman's contracts would expire after a while, DBR'd be way too old, and, and... yeah. Not gonna happen.

I know, from what I've read about those books, it seems they're absolutely revolting. But you have to admit that Chris Weitz would know how to handle a film adaptation of them, it's right up his alley. He's good with young actors, his biggest succes is probably still American Pie and he knows something about adapting books. Also I have a feeling he might fare a little better with something with a contemporary setting.

I'm a little divided on it, if he chooses to do it I'll be a little dissapointed with regards to his taste, but it would probably be a smart move. Unless the hype dies soon it would probably be a very succesful film, which would be good for him
and hopefully us Dark Materials-fans.

And yes, perhaps a director's cut is these days more likely than a Subtle Knife film.
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:40 am

Unless the hype dies soon it would probably be a very succesful film, which would be good for him
and hopefully us Dark Materials-fans.[/quote]

Why for us?
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby green ink » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 am

Because it would raise his profile in hollywood, which could possibly lead to a ressurection of the Subtle Knife or a director's cut of The Golden Compass.
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:17 pm

in many years maybe because who would to both back-to-back

still too late for Daokta.

And I still hope he can release director's cut next year.
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby tato » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:43 pm

i prefer dakota older than a new girl; look at benjamin button and all that cgi face stuff, they can work it out for her look more younger, her taller, i dont know. but i think they will chose a woman to direct this, not weitz.
tato
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mockingbird » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:01 am

green ink wrote:I know, from what I've read about those books, it seems they're absolutely revolting.
Oh, they are (as far as I can judge from the 20-50 pages I read of Twilight). The best thing you can say for them is that they've inspired some truly entertaining internet rants: http://io9.com/5096763/twilight-makes-for-the-best-fanwank-ever.

If Weitz takes on the Twilight sequel for any other reason than money, I don't think I'd want him within a 10 mile radius of our sequel.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby ihatethis99in » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:26 am

Good grief. A Mormonism-infused trashy book series with a pathetic, helpless female antagonist? Really, Chris? If you do it for a big paycheck, I'll understand, but for pete's sake have some dignity and use part of the dough to complete a TGC Director's Cut if you do. Finishing the effects may not be cheap, but as they'd only have to be dvd/blu-ray quality, I'm sure they'd be doable for a few mil, and what else could Warners be waiting for?

I strongly echo these words. Tweelight??? :sick: Chris, shouldn't you be spending your time on something more challenging. Even Plodder is better than this drivel. :sick:
ihatethis99in
Grazer

Postby green ink » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:43 am

Mockingbird wrote:
green ink wrote:I know, from what I've read about those books, it seems they're absolutely revolting.
Oh, they are (as far as I can judge from the 20-50 pages I read of Twilight). The best thing you can say for them is that they've inspired some truly entertaining internet rants: http://io9.com/5096763/twilight-makes-for-the-best-fanwank-ever.

If Weitz takes on the Twilight sequel for any other reason than money, I don't think I'd want him within a 10 mile radius of our sequel.

Oh my, thanks for that link. I've been enjoying the internet community ripping on Twilight for a while now (mostly through Cleolinda Jones' inspired parodies). It's almost funny enough to make me want to read the actual book, but I know a twelve year old girl who told me I wouldn't like it. Which is good enough a reason for me not to.
Let's hope Chris Weitz knows a similar twelve year old girl.
And yes, let's just assume that if he does it, he'll do it for the money. Because I have trouble accepting that the man who wanted to do Pullman and Moorcock happily moves on to the disturbed wish fullfilment of a Mormon housewife (although that actually makes it sound more interesting than it should).
Last edited by green ink on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Roll_with_it » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Didn't see that one coming. I actually think he would be a good choice for this, it's not too demanding and as long as he pleased the fanbase, he has a huge commercial hit on his hands. I personally wouldn't begrudge him it, he seems a pretty genuine guy and I don't blame him for TGC's failure.
And it can only be good from our point of view. If he becomes hot stuff after this, a Director's cut could be on the cards and Summit will be releasing this film as soon as possible to keep the momentum going and the moneymen pleased.

Also, I find it hard to hate Twilight, purely because of the amount of arguments I've gotten into with girls in my year. I was actually slapped for calling them secret pro-life propoganda.
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby sfsraffie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Problem is, special-effects-heavy back-to-back movies could keep him away from completing a Compass cut for several years. Or maybe not, maybe he's made his cut and only needs completed effects.

The drama continues... :roll:
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby green ink » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, if he does choose to do it it probably won't keep him busy that long. As the studio has already set the date for the movie to come out, which is November next year.
Rather soon, especially since the script isn't finished and the studio wants to recast one of the leads.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/12/twilight_tk.html

Frankly, if he directs this, and the hype persists it probably won't even matter if the film is utter rubbish.
I just hope that it makes a Golden Compass Director's cut possible.
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby TheRealNeo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:09 pm

When he does the twilight sequels he would direct definitely 2 and 3 and then we can expect the director's cut in 3-4 years or never.
TheRealNeo
Armoured Bear

Postby Roll_with_it » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:15 pm

There's a piece about it on Empire here.

They've basically chosen all the female directors they could think of but I think Weitz is the most promising.
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby green ink » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:53 pm

Roll_with_it wrote:There's a piece about it on Empire here.

They've basically chosen all the female directors they could think of but I think Weitz is the most promising.

Well, there's Jane Campion of course. But the thought of Diablo Cody doing Twilight... Off that list she'd be my favourite. I can only imagine it turning out as the best of parodies though.
I guess we'll see what happens.
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mockingbird » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:02 am

green ink wrote:It's almost funny enough to make me want to read the actual book, but I know a twelve year old girl who told me I wouldn't like it.

Can you believe these scenes were written in seriousness? Just...how? As funny as the parodies are, none are funnier than the source material. However, your friendly neighborhood pre-teen is right; don't bother with the book. It's too irritating to put yourself through for the occasional lulz.
At no point in the movie does this scene occur.

"You ... made ... me ... faint," I accused him dizzily.
"What am I going to do with you?" he groaned in exasperation. "Yesterday I kiss you, and you attack me! Today you pass out on me!"
I laughed weakly, letting his arms support me while my head spun.
"So much for being good at everything," he sighed.
"That's the problem." I was still dizzy. "You're too good. Far, far too good."

Also, this scene was cut, thank God.

"Besides, friends don't let friends drive drunk," he quoted with a chuckle. I could smell the unbearably sweet fragrance coming off his chest.
"Drunk?" I objected.
"You're intoxicated by my very presence." He was grinning that playful smirk again.
"I can't argue with that," I sighed. There was no way around it; I couldn't resist him in anything.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby sfsraffie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:32 am

Lyra would *****-slap her! :P
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby green ink » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Here we go: he's doing it.
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/12/its-official-ch.html
And he's starting next monday!

Little edit: Oh those twilighters, they're already getting their petitions ready for bigger budgets and the keeping or sacking of an actor. Also, few of them seem to like Chris Weitz or read the Golden Compass. (am I surprised fans of Twilight haven't read His Dark Materials?)
green ink
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations